Sign in to follow this  
Albino99

Tonneau Cover Ideas........Who's running one?

I am looking at replacing my old worn-out canopy with a tonneau cover. I do not want a hard-shelled fiberglass one, but something I can "retract" or "fold" back for hauling oversized items. I have looked around online and have seen a few "soft-top" ones with the aluminum frame on the under side. I am curious if anyone on the board is running one and happy with what they have. I am looking for "real-world" reviews on the designs and durability out there. Thanks.

Not sure of the brand we have a soft with frame that folds in thirds we like it quick on and off or fold it up when space is needed. Would definitely buy another one.

I've got one it's a gator sr2 and I love it been on the truck for 2 years and looks and works like new to this day has straps at the cab to keep it rolled up and out of the way when you need the whole bed can't speak highly enough about it and it makes a good make shift rain shelter c42c37592eceba7ef9cb3bfa88a52d82.jpg9c2ada02aaa54b88e0016c3d6a94d6b4.jpg4b0fb861a42ed2fe6e85b276f299d72f.jpgpost-13483-15178826081_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not sure of the brand we have a soft with frame that folds in thirds we like it quick on and off or fold it up when space is needed. Would definitely buy another one.

Ive got one like you describe. Its a Tri-fecta. I had one on my 99, and the first thing I bought when I got the 2016 was another one. Super well engineered. Comes Completely off the truck in 2 or 3 minutes, no drilling or Velcro required. Or it just folds up to the front of the bed and straps down, leaving a little shade for Coco when she rides in the back. My best friend really dug the way mine fit/worked and just got one for his new truck in December. He tells me every time we talk that is the best mod hes ever done to his truck.

Ive got one like you describe. Its a Tri-fecta. I had one on my 99, and the first thing I bought when I got the 2016 was another one. Super well engineered. Comes Completely off the truck in 2 or 3 minutes, no drilling or Velcro required. Or it just folds up to the front of the bed and straps down, leaving a little shade for Coco when she rides in the back. My best friend really dug the way mine fit/worked and just got one for his new truck in December. He tells me every time we talk that is the best mod hes ever done to his truck.

I have the same on the F150. It works great ! I had a regular cover on my Dodge that used snaps. I dreaded every time I had to touch it. God help you if you needed to install it in the Winter. My hand still hurt from trying to snap that thing. The tri-fold covers are the way to go and worth every penny.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input so far, this really helps me figure out what I want to get. The descriptions and pictures were great Greenmachine114, thank you! I really like the Extang Trifecta 2.0 (Tri-Fold) model: 92575. The attachment clamps underneath require no special brackets to bolt onto the bedsides, I like that. I really don't want to drill holes into my spray in bed liner. One thing I'm curious about, do you guys put any kind of protectant/dressing on the vinyl to keep it from deteriorating over time?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input so far, this really helps me figure out what I want to get. The descriptions and pictures were great Greenmachine114, thank you! I really like the Extang Trifecta 2.0 (Tri-Fold) model: 92575. The attachment clamps underneath require no special brackets to bolt onto the bedsides, I like that. I really don't want to drill holes into my spray in bed liner. One thing I'm curious about, do you guys put any kind of protectant/dressing on the vinyl to keep it from deteriorating over time?

I haven’t.... and I bought mine used off CL for $100.00. Probably the 2nd best deal I have gotten off CL to date.

I have not done anything except wash it. This one is only a year and a half old, but it still looks like new.

I really like the roll up ones, I had a few truxcedo brands and they where nice but the Velcro only lasted about 5 years. I did NOT buy the top on the line one, it might have lasted longer ON them, and possibly a lifetime warrantee.

I currently have a cheap tri fold that works ok, but have to remove it completly if I want tall stuff close to the cab, but only two thumb screws to remove and nothing stays in the bed.

I have been a fan of the soft tonneau for a long time. Max flexibility for loads, and dry and semi secure storage.

I have a roll up one like Bob mentioned. Its probably 14yrs old and has seen better days so I really don't use it anymore. The vinyl held up fine but the velcro on the sides basically doesn't stick anymore. That and it had 2' of snow on it once and it bent the cross bars slightly so instead of having a slight dome to it to keep rain from puddling up, no matter what I did it had a slight dish to it and would puddle water. The more water it held, the more weight which lead to more water, etc.

If I replace it I would get a tri fold style instead.

I've got one it's a gator sr2 and I love it been on the truck for 2 years and looks and works like new to this day has straps at the cab to keep it rolled up and out of the way when you need the whole bed can't speak highly enough about it and it makes a good make shift rain shelter c42c37592eceba7ef9cb3bfa88a52d82.jpg9c2ada02aaa54b88e0016c3d6a94d6b4.jpg4b0fb861a42ed2fe6e85b276f299d72f.jpgattachicon.gif20160618_175102.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have one like this that has been on the truck since new, about 10 year now. Never treated the vinyl and it is starting to flake a little on the edges. The velcro is still holding. I went with this one because I thought I could leave it installed and just roll it up when I loaded the camper on. Didn't work out as the rails don't leave enough clearance to the sides of the camper. Oh well, 5 minutes with a 14mm socket and its off.

Doug

Pricey, but I got a Bak Revolver rolling aluminum hard cover. If you have a locking tailgate, it help secure any items left in the bed. While not theft proof, has left me much more confident that items that are in the bed will be there when I come back to the truck. I bought one originally for a trip to WY we took, but I love it and its easy to use.

I have the tri-fold and love it. I bought the "other" brand. Tiger I believe.... $279 delivered to my door. 2 years and going strong.

yes don't get snaps. I had one that took locking piers to get it on when it was cold. you leave in the house for the vinyl ol to get soft to stretch it on.