• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to/Retiring in Mexico, Aircraft, Sea Kayaking, Hiking

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

I need a recommendation for a place to take my 2016 in for an oil  and fuel filter change. I don't want to take it into the dealership as I don't want them upgrading my radio/uconnect system software at this time, and they will automatically do that when they plug it into their computer... (It's a long story).

I would rather just do it myself as I usually do, but my shop is jammed full with my anvil, forges, grinders and other blacksmith stuff right now and I won't have it cleared out until spring when I build an addition to the shop. But I don't feel like laying in the rain & gravel either. I plan to call Mike at Diesel Outfitters tomorrow to see when he could get me in, how long it would take, and the cost.

Anybody know of some other good and reasonably priced places in my area (Granite Falls, Everett, Lake Stevens, Marysville)?

I've already got my oil and filters on hand. I just need someone to do the work (or even someone that will just charge me something for the spot in a shop and I'll knock it out myself...).

Thanks fellas

#2 rubystargoats

rubystargoats
  • Members
  • 3,167 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, Firearms, water sports, BOMBing

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

Come down to the goat ranch, pickup your piece of cable and do it here.

#3 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 12,568 posts
  • Interests:Just about any type of fabrication.. the crazier the better...

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hoss may need someone to keep him company in the shop. Just sayin...

#4 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Dan, That is not a bad idea. I will get in touch with you and see if we can set a time that works for both of us... (I kinda forgot a bout the cable with all the holiday & travel stuff).

Ben, it sounds like Hoss's shop is pretty full right now! Lol.. I sent him a PM the other day and offered to come by and hand him wrenches though. :)

#5 Bulldog

Bulldog

Bully

• Members
  • 6,453 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Bulldogs and more fishing.

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

You are more than welcome to come to my place and I'll do it. I'm closer that the goat. 

big warm shop and can work with your schedule. I'm open for when ever. 

#6 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

Thanks Rusty, That's a very nice offer too! And that may work out easier/quicker for me to go north to see you, as I am often going to B-ham. I will check with you later in the week to see if my next trip up north will work with your schedule.

Dan, I will get down your way soon too. I want to grab Mark's cable and I have something for you that I need to drop off. But I am working this weekend and next weekend I have to help my sister get her sheep house fixed... 2 new lambs arrived and they need a remodel!  I can't wait for retirement. I need more time.

#7 Bulldog

Bulldog

Bully

• Members
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

Awesome, just let me know when you want to come over. I'll send you my address. 

#8 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

Youre grabbing Marks cable lol

#9 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,362 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

Jiffy lube, your oil, your filter, they just dump the oil and put a new filter on... probably a $20 bill. I have done this in the past when pressed for time. Just watch them when they double check the drain plug and don't let them check anything else.

#10 Bulldog

Bulldog

Bully

• Members
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

Jiffy Lube, Schmiffy lube. We got this and it will be done right. 

#11 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,362 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

I managed a minit lube for over 3 years and I taught my guys and gals how to do the job right...the first time! I then got moved to the training center where we averaged over 150 cars a day and I got to train them as well. It doesn't take rocket science or an ASE technician to change the oil. So when in need to get it done and you don't have the time, oil and filter only is the cheapest way to go.

#12 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 22,821 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

MHO  ... I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to go to one of those places 

#13 rubystargoats

rubystargoats
  • Members
  • 3,167 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, Firearms, water sports, BOMBing

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

Like any of the chain businesses, there are good ones and bad ones. management, training, and who is hired can make a world of difference.  and even at the bad locations there can still be a good employee or two, problem is you never really know until it is too late.

#14 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 12,568 posts
  • Interests:Just about any type of fabrication.. the crazier the better...

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

First question I ask in a job interview “Do you change your own oil?” If the answer is no, there is a pretty good chance you won’t be called back. It has nothing to do with Cost.

#15 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

First question I ask in a job interview Do you change your own oil? If the answer is no, there is a pretty good chance you wont be called back. It has nothing to do with Cost.

I had a guy in an interview ask me if I could explain how to make a gas engine diesel. It was a mechanical designer job out of college but he saw I had an interest in auto mechanics.
I said Uhh, I guess its possible but youd need a lot of parts, higher compression, probably a different head and some way to inject the fuel. Lot of work to build a POS, I think GM tried that once.
He laughed and said, I meant what causes dieseling...like when you shut the key off and it keeps running.
Me: Oh...too much carbon build up, too hot, running a bit rich, keeps burning the fuel when you try to kill it. My POS 318 does it all the time in the summer.
They offered me the job but I turned it down.

Edited by Woodenhead, 28 January 2018 - 10:44 PM.

#16 Bulldog

Bulldog

Bully

• Members
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Like any of the chain businesses, there are good ones and bad ones. management, training, and who is hired can make a world of difference.  and even at the bad locations there can still be a good employee or two, problem is you never really know until it is too late.

Management, training? Then I will definitely stay away from all Jiffy lubes. 

#17 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

At a lot of places (McDonalds, Quickie lube, Baskin Robbins, etc) Management = white paper hat instead of blue paper hat.

#18 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 22,821 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

do some on-line reading about Horror stories [some actually funny] of the "workmanship" of the franchisees  .... also some bureau of automotive affairs in your state or any state for that matter.

#19 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

My dad drove out of one place and got all the way home before he noticed the oil pressure light. Checked the oil level... nothing on the dipstick... then found the drainplug was MIA. :o

That story was why I never go to one of those places.

Edited by Shady, 29 January 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#20 greenmachine114

greenmachine114
  • Members
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Wife and kids hunting fishing and this dang truck

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

I wouldn't let jiffy lube pay me to change my oil my dad lost a tranny from them bending the pan flange and just leaving it and my old boss lost his 12 valve Cummins after they cross threaded the drain plug if your gonna pay someone to do it I've heard alot of good things about mission motors in Arlington

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users