DRobinson

New to me 2nd gen project

post-5868-0-94328200-1516854872_thumb.jpg

Picked this truck up on trade. It needs ALLOT of work. Currently it has a cracked 53 in it. It runs but not the best. I'm working on getting it to run properly before I decide what to do about the cracked block. So far I've replaced the Cam sensor which fixed the tach and hard start issue. Now the engine light is still on, PO said the light has been on since he had the 1st cracked 53 replaced two years ago. Last night I found the IAT sensor to be unhooked and full of dirt. So far that is the last code in the system. I wasn't able to just hook it up though, somehow the wiring harness is improperly ran not allowing it to get to the sensor. That is next on the list.

Other things I know it will need at this point, front axle rebuild (not sure how extensive yet), rear axle appears to have leaked for quite some time out the pinion seal, pinion is loose, I'm guessing rebuild on that too, rear brakes are sticky and probably junk, fronts brakes are junk, wiring needs a fine tooth comb and clean up, blown/missing fuses galore, rear window needs replaced, dash is junk, carpet is gross, amazingly the driver seat isn't ripped but the foam is quite worn, dome light doesn't work, door seals are toast, tailgate doesn't open properly, tailgate cables are broken, exhaust manifold is junk, tires are junk, I'm sure I'll find more when I have more than two evenings into it.

Its a 2000 QCSB, 229k on the body, 4.10 factory gears, limited slip in rear, supposedly has a ATS stage 1 kit in the factory trans housing (no proof of that though) I can tell the converter is definitely not stock and the shifts are nice and crisp even though I've hardly driven it. Has a raptor lift pump, supposedly 75hp injectors, Edge juice with attitude, pump wire currently not tapped. Supposed new VP not long ago. It did have a P0216 code but it cleared and didn't come back, so far, we'll see about that.

Ultimate plans are to fix all the little issues, lower it, and shoot for somewhere around 650whp (eventually) on fuel with possibly a little n20 on top of that. I've got a good HE351 from a 5.9cr laying around that I'm thinking would be a nice quick spooling setup over a s475 or whatever I can find cheap. Depending on what I find for a block and what happens with the VP pump that is in the truck I might just go P pump but I like the adjust ability of the VP. So I'll just have to see what I can turn up for parts. Basically I'm looking for a fun street strip truck that isn't so crazy I can't drive it and also isn't so expensive It'll never be on the road.

I've always wanted a qcsb 2nd gen street/strip truck ever since I had my 01 long bed.

Edited by DRobinson

Sounds like a fun project its amazing how clean carpet will come when you remove and pressure wash it

Sounds like a fun project its amazing how clean carpet will come when you remove and pressure wash it

I will definitely try that. I'll already be spending some quality time under it with the steam cleaner. It's a regular valdez underneath!

almost sounds like a candidate for parting out , IMHO be careful about good $$ after bad

needs a pro/con list with a $$ estimate first off ?????

no disrespect meant here

• Like 1

Gary, you should know better, you can't put a price on fun!!! LMAO!

Yes BUTTT I have been a victim of my own FUN so many times , now being retired on a much lower income level ... wisdom finally hit me LOL

Those many many $$$ sure would be nicer in my bank account 😏

Have I learned ..NOPE , but I do try to pass on this new found wisdom lol

• Like 1

I have yet to own any vehicle that has been a good investment, money wise. All of them (mostly) were good investment "fun" wise. LOL!

• Like 1

get involved [if you haven't] in racing ..... a fun time and bottomless pit in which to pour huge "fun dollars" into :)

• Like 1

I certainly understand what your saying Gary. I've got two other money pit cars in my shop. I know, I need another project like I need another hole in my head.

The cars need body work and I seem to have an issue with paying for work I can't do myself. So they sit.

That is one of the big bonuses of this truck, I don't care to much about the body and paint, it'll clean up good enough for daily abuse. Its got a few dings and scratches along with peeling clear coat on the fenders and hood but oh well. The other things that attract me to the truck for a toy is being able to drive it year round and it has a functional back seat for the little one to go along. The cars are useless in the rain and not even practical to drive daily even if they were done.

Honestly, working on cars, making them quick, and driving/racing them was my stress relief and it was extremely effective for me. I haven't had that in more than 10 years now. I've got to get back into it before another 10 years go by.

Well you guys are probably going to think I'm nuts but I'm working on a deal for a non cracked 53 block that is torn down but still has cross hatching in the cylinders. It comes with all the guts, the head, and a set of lightly used 7x014 sac injectors. Maybe the 3rd times the charm for this truck with 53 blocks :right:

Even if this one cracks down the road at least I'll have some time to get the rest of the issues on the truck taken care of without spending a fortune on the engine first. I had thought about patching the block in it however possible to buy some time but it leaks oil so bad I'll have to yank it or tear it way down anyway. I also have a rusty 5.9 block on the floor now that needs bored honed and line bore. It's supposedly a good block for performance as it has the small casting numbers near the rear of the block but I'm not sure it would clean up at .020 over bore. Not sure I want to try and go .040. I honestly don't know how safe that is on these blocks.

I've also got a line on another block but its buried and going to be a few weeks until its dug out to find out the details on it.

Edited by DRobinson

Yeah I've been reading about them. Do you think they are to much for a he351/S475 setup? I'll be using the old edge juice for a while but probably switch to a quadzilla later on. Keep in mind too this truck will be as low as possible for a daily 4x4 with 32ish inch tires. I'm ditching every bit of weight possible with exception of interior and daily driver needs and it will most likely never tow anything. It won't have a reciever anyway. I'm not above doing water meth either. Haven't decided if I'll be doing a cam at this point.

you can always rebuild them down a bit if you find they are to big or leaky .. for lower $$ on a 2nd gen injectors

Yeah I've been reading about them. Do you think they are to much for a he351/S475 setup? I'll be using the old edge juice for a while but probably switch to a quadzilla later on. Keep in mind too this truck will be as low as possible for a daily 4x4 with 32ish inch tires. I'm ditching every bit of weight possible with exception of interior and daily driver needs and it will most likely never tow anything. It won't have a reciever anyway. I'm not above doing water meth either. Haven't decided if I'll be doing a cam at this point.

Not if you kept the box turned down.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Went and picked up the stuff today. Block looks great cross hatching still in cylinders no cracks just like the owner stated. Ended up buying his very low mile max spool valve springs as well as they were already in the head.

Now I just need to save some cash and order up the rebuild kit.

Save me a connecting rod!! :)

I need one to hang in the garage..

You got it! I would like to hang on to the spare set for a short time though. Just in case something REALLY bad happens early on!

• Like 1

So this new engine I have has the tone ring on the crank. I have no use for it as mine uses the ring on the cam gear. Does anyone know if I can just yank the ring off the crank and pitch it or will that create a balancing issue?

My understanding is yes you can ditch it. Make sure you use computer and wiring off newer motor

Thank you! I will be using the original sensors and wiring from the 01 on the 1999 engine block. I'll be swapping the cam from the 01 block to the 99 block to retain the tone wheel on the cam gear but the crank looks so good in the 99 block I was really hoping to use it.

I had issues with tone ring on my 99 I was told I could swap wiring and computer and it could be eliminated

So I'm getting ready to take the head in to have it checked and surfaced, if needed. I'm guessing it'll need some work, it did have 229k on it. I'm going to stick with a stock cam for now and most likely forever with this block/head combo. My question is at what point do I need to be worried about valve clearance when taking material off the head? I know I should check the clearance either way but I'm just curious what I may or may not be up against using the stock cam.

I've been looking around and most only talk about aftermarket cams and taking material off the head. Doesn't seem to be much info with a stock cam.