HOSS

Holy bad milage Batman!!! (Fuel leak)

I am driving into work this morning and just as I come into Everett I make a lane change and the trucks ass end slips around! I thought it was my steering feeling funny but then the time I changed lanes it did it again. The road was shiny but I knew it was too warm to be icy. I exited on 41st and as I rounded the corner the truck went sideways! Every time I touch the throttle the tires spin. I grab 4x4 and then i can get around just fine.

I get into Boeing and park and I can smell diesel. Grab a flashlight and look under the truck and fuel is POURING on the ground! I shut it off and the leak stop. Everything is so wet from rain and fuel I cannot tell where it's coming from but it looks like one of the lines coming from the T that the return line goes thru is leaking. Once it gets light and dries out a little I will see if I can isolate the problem. If it's something I cannot fix without any new parts I will have to have it towed home and fix it. I went through 1/2 a tank in about 10 miles! Not a good way to start the day.

hope you find that river before you have to tow Hoss.

Sorry Brother. I wish I was closer so I could watch you look for the leak. :lol: Seriously, I hope you don't have to put in the hook. I know you have your Leatherman. I hope a hose just popped off. With that kind of flow that is what I would expect. Way to much for just a leak....

I'm sure it's not the same thing, but recently I had fuel pouring on the ground when filling up. It was a loose module retaining nut.

It's funny how fast these issues can pop up.

Dave

I found the problem. I have a aeromotive regulator that acts as a return to tank T and I could see the fuel was coming from it but I couldn't find any loose fittings or any other issues. I got a mirror and from above I could see a 1/4 inch pipe plug with a nipple on it that is for a fuel pressure gauge and the cap for it had come off. It was pumping fuel straight out of it. I am looking for a solid plug to replace it with now. Very simple fix luckily!

• Like 1

Thar she blows!5938257da086206abc94c92d0ae42146.jpg

Looks like you will need a 1/4" NPT plug. They have them at Lowes/ Home Depot.

You sure that's not 1/8" NPT? I can't tell from the pic.

Dave

That was easy! Beats the :dump: out of dealing with the fuel return line on a 12V while away from the house.

Edited by Woodenhead
  • Like 1

I was not able to find the right size plug here but I did get a cap for the nipple and a hose clamp to hold it on and no more leak! Luckily it did not drain the injection pump so I didn't have to bleed injectors to start it. I have the correct plug at home so I will make a permanent repair tonight.

You sure that's not 1/8" NPT? I can't tell from the pic.

Dave

And yes Dave you are correct it is a 1/8 not 1/4 npt

Hmm... I guess I have an excuse. My eye was not properly calibrated. :lol:

• Like 2

Hmm... I guess I have an excuse. My eye was not properly calibrated. :lol:

That's what happens when you are only using one, everything doubles in size. You might remember that on your way to the water closet after that 104oz big gulp. :rolleyes:

Dave

• Like 1

OH GEEEES don't tell him that , he'll be looking at his Holmes all day

• Like 3

I thought it did look bigger...LMAO!

I got home with no more leaks then removed the regulator and replaced it with a regular T with AN ends and installed that. No more extra unneeded lines to hassle with. One more weak link gone!

• Like 2

Oh wow. Glad it was simple. I had a similar situation... twice. Haha. I had my fuel pressure regulator return line vibrate loose when it was rigid mounted and while it was leaking pretty good, nothing as bad as yours. If it would have come all the way off though it would be an open 3/8" fitting pouring fuel. Haha. The other time was when an injector line cracked and sprayed fuel all over the engine bay and under carriage. What a mess.

Reminds me of the time my 12v blew the return line behind the fuel filter it had rubbed a hole in rubber line you could easily follow my trail simple fix I was young and new to diesels took it to cummins and 12 inches of 3/8 fuel line cost $200 lol good times

just thought of this ...

AN fittings use a 37 degree thread pitch and that is on all AN firings so standard brass doesn't fit correctly .... if you used a brass plug to a AN fitting you'll be having a leak again [sometimes it takes a while to show after the vibration weaken the few threads that are sealing} as the brass fitting is pipe thread and a different pitch.

I have no idea what your using so just throwing that out there.

also for FYI .. AN flair is also 37 degree and requires a different flaring tool if your making a flair in your tubing

sorry if you already knew this , but a good reminder anyway

Edited by GTroyer

10-4 all my fittings are AN and they are correct. It was a plugged pipe for a fuel pressure gauge on the isolator I had that caused the leak and has been removed. It's all good now.