Photo
- - - - -

Want to hire someone to help install trailer wiring on my Peterbilt.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mr. cob

mr. cob

Dodge be gone, now a Freightliner Pilot

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy riding all types of motorcycles, shooting and trucks, what else is there?

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

Howdy All,

I now have all the parts needed to install the RV trailer wiring and brake controller on my Pete. 

I want to install a "Hayes" air activated brake controller, this involves mounting the controller, splicing into an air line which goes to the "air application" gauge which is located in a dash panel that also has 15 other gauges in it along with three air activated switches.  The brake controller also has to be wired to power from the battery through a 20 amp circuit breaker.  I do NOT have the circuit breaker or the 12 gauge wire needed to do this part of the job. 

Here is a web site describing the "Hayes" controller.

http://www.hayesbc.c...ted-controller/

To wire the RV 7 pin trailer connection I have a complete kit including a water proof box that has a circuit board in it that has all the wire positions clearly marked so it should be a plug and play operation but I don't have the proper wire striping and crimping tools to do a decent job. To wire the RV plug, a cable must be made that goes from the commercial truck plug to the box, I have ALL the parts needed to do this, then the 7 wire cable needs to be run from the box to the rear of the truck where it will be mounted off of the frame, again I have ALL the electrical parts needed to do this.  I would need some type of clamps to hold the 7 wire cable to the frame as it is strung from the box to the rear of the truck.

Here is a web site describing the "Jackalopee" box.

http://ethitch.com/p...-et-jackalopee/

I can help with or do most of the grunt work, I need someone who knows wiring and how to hook into the trucks electrical system without burning something up, I am willing to pay reasonable money to have this done.  If your interested or know someone who may want to take on this task please contact me.  Thanks.

Dave

email,  dlhooker1@comcast.net

phone, 360-333-2888

Edited by mr. cob, 10 January 2018 - 03:09 PM.

#2 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,362 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:30 AM

Just an FYI on the air over electric brake controller, I had one of them first in my Volvo and hated it. I didn't like how it applied the trailer brakes, it was not smooth at all. I pulled it out after one trip and put in a good quality electronic controller.

#3 mr. cob

mr. cob

Dodge be gone, now a Freightliner Pilot

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy riding all types of motorcycles, shooting and trucks, what else is there?

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

Just an FYI on the air over electric brake controller, I had one of them first in my Volvo and hated it. I didn't like how it applied the trailer brakes, it was not smooth at all. I pulled it out after one trip and put in a good quality electronic controller.

Howdy l-123,

I have a Prodgey 2, (sp) controller on the Freightliner, it works but not as well as the Hayes controller on other trucks that I have driven.  From what I have been told and experienced when I drove a truck equipped with the Hayes unit you have to mess with it a bit to get the adjustment correct from there on it works very well. 

The Pete has so much more braking power then the Freightliner as it has tandem axles other then keeping the trailer behind the truck in very slippery conditions the trailer brakes are pretty much unneeded.  In fact I drove the Freightliner towing the trailer for over a 1,000 in the mountains once before I found out that the trailer brakes had not been working, a broken wire left them useless and I didn't really notice any difference in stopping power of course during that 1,000 miles I was lucky and didn't have a panic stop situation or have to drive on slippery surfaces where the trailer may have wanted to pass the truck.

Dave

#4 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,362 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

I tried adjusting the controller for an entire day, it's like there was no happy medium for it. Short of putting a switch in to disconnect the trailer brakes when the trailer was empty I didn't see a way to be happy with them. As long as your happy with the controller that's all that matters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users