• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greenmachine114

greenmachine114
  • Members
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Wife and kids hunting fishing and this dang truck

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

Hey guys I recently installed a flo pro 5" w/muffler on my 15 mega it was great for a couple wks then it would come loose and rattle and vibrate i re torqued it twice and on the 3rd time I said enough and took it into a local deisel shop and had them tac the joints and re torque the clamps no the rattle is gone but the truck vibrates at idle worse when in gear or backing then it ever did I took it back to the shop and they basically said that's what 5" exhausts do (not happy) so I went to another deisel shop and basically got the same answer I don't buy this for a minute bc I know when I first installed it the thing was perfect it just wouldn't stay that way I'm gonna pick up a peice of flex pipe after work today and see if that will help but I'm looking for anyone that has a 6.7 with a 5" exhaust that could tell me if they have any issues like this with there setup if so what did you do
Thanks sorry for the long post

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#2 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts
  • Interests:Just about any type of fabrication.. the crazier the better...

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Can you see contact anywhere that isn't rubber isolated after the turbo? You may need to check with a load against the engine so anywhere that is really close can be suspect. You should see some sort of wear mark. I have 5" exhaust from the bottom turbo, out the back, with a 51" Donaldson and an exhaust brake inline and have no issues with vibration... if nothing is touching. When it touched it was crazy annoying. A dent placed in the right place can make a world of difference.

FWIW I tac weld every exhaust U install except the down pipe. That I install with a band clamp. I am no a fan of clamping exhaust with just the U-bolts.

#3 greenmachine114

greenmachine114
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

It doesn't seem to touch anything and there is no noise just vibration when I get home I will roll around under it again and check again if you touch your tailpipe at idle do you feel any vibration or is it pretty smooth

#4 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 12,572 posts
  • Interests:Just about any type of fabrication.. the crazier the better...

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

Not sure, I guess I need to check. I haven’t driven the truck for so long I am not really sure.

#5 DRobinson

DRobinson
  • Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

Does the kit use the factory hanger on the trans bell housing mount? I know my flo pro down pipe and dpf pipe didn't. It vibed so bad you couldn't stand to hold you foot on the tail pipe. Almost like a whip by the time the vibration gets to the tail section. I bought a 4" clamp and built a bracket off of it to use the trans bell housing mount. Doing so eliminated my issue. Mine would vibe when driving with very light throttle, once above or below a certain RPM it would go away but every time you pass that RPM it would vibe. Extremely annoying in town stop light to stop light! I think this is a very common issue on weight reduced 4th gens.

The only thing I could compare that feeling the tail pipe would give when you put your foot on it was trying to stand on a Concrete stinger vibrator.

#6 greenmachine114

greenmachine114
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

That is the exact feeling great analogy with the concrete stinger so when I got home tonight I loosened all the clamps except the high over axel clamp set the P brake blocked all 4 tires and put it in gear with it running and got under with everything loose no vibe so I started at the down pipe torqued it down got up and checked the steering wheel NO VIBE so I repeated that on every clamp to the back of the muffler checking the wheel after every clamp when I started torquing that one I could instantly feel the vibe start back so I put a new clamp that I got from Kenworth NW on and no more vibe (for now) time will tell if it lasts all of this was made easier because the shop I PAID to tack the joints only tacked the joint at the back of the muffler the same one that was vibrating and none of the others so now I have to deal with them
For what it's worth the clamp from Kenworth NW used a nut with the bolt not just the bolt threading into the half round block on the clamp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users