p2computing

TDI Swap to Toyota - Questions

Hey Guys,

It's about that time again for another project. This time i'd like to put a diesel into my 91 Toyota Pickup. I did the 12valve cummins Excursion, but everything was too huge, too heavy!

Ideally this will be a daily driver, and i've seen these running on just power + ground. Hoping to achieve a similar setup with mine.

Questions regarding a VW TDI Engine:

• Which engines could u achieve standalone functionality without an ECM? Hoping for just ignition to open up fuel, and switched power to keep it open.
  • Is it possible to use a mechanical fuel / injection pump on one to remove the need for an ECM?
  • What options do i have for turbo upgrades / intercooling? I'm not looking for immense power, just stable power at minor gains
  • Any other info would be awesome!
Edited by p2computing

I believe the mechanical ones are AHU engines (It'd be mid 90's VW diesel.

Robert (LivingEZ) would be the guys brain to pick. He has seen/tinkered with one or two in his lifetime.

The AAZ or AHU or AFN, would be a great choice for a non ECU controlled TDI. There is a company in Blaine that imports from Germany and they have a big inventory. The ALH can be run in a standalone system with it's ecu and drive by wire. You can get the ECU tuned to delete all of the unnecessary anitheft and EGR control's. Make sure you have your trans adapter, flywheel, etc... lined up first. There is also a Co. In Clackamas that builds the adapters, I will have to try and find the name.

http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com

Edited by livingez_123

Having driven a turned up ALH for a while now I would want to go that route myself. It's a lot of fun!

Awesome info! I was looking for an AAZ today because i figured it would be the only approach to a fully mechanical 1.9 ALH (Unless i pay Giles about $2100 to make me a mechanical injection pump).

It sounds like an ALH is the way to go with some ECU modification. This is most excellent to hear!!!!!

I assume it won't matter if i pick up an auto or manual version of the engine? Bellhousing adapter comes off anyway, i'd guess.

Ideally this would mate to the toyota 5 speed V6 tranny. Any communication with the trans would be null.

malone can tune around the auto, get a 2000 and later with the 121 pin ecu

Roger that! I'll look for one. Hopefully i can find a decent one around here.

Awesome info! I was looking for an AAZ today because i figured it would be the only approach to a fully mechanical 1.9 ALH (Unless i pay Giles about $2100 to make me a mechanical injection pump).

It sounds like an ALH is the way to go with some ECU modification. This is most excellent to hear!!!!!

i have 3 pumps going to Giles to make a M-TDI pump for a boat project

Right on. It's not in my budget for this vehicle just yet. Need to locate my power source first

have any of you done a swap with a TDI into another vehicle type? I'm curious about the engine mounting.

They don't have anything listed for the V6 tranny (R150F). That site is horrible to navigate!

They don't have anything listed for the V6 tranny (R150F). That site is horrible to navigate!

Video title says it's an Acme adapter to a R150... But I don't see it listed on Acme's site, maybe call them.

This was a good read.... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f158/vw-1-9tdi-into-94-toyota-truck-223711/

Edited by megacabcummins

I fired you a PM a week or so ago, livingez... Hollar back and we can chat about some ideas =)

I just got back online tonight, had electronics issues with my tablet and computer. I have also seen 4bt pumps put on the TDI to make it fully mechanical. If you can't find the right adapter or have the ability to make one, you might have to change to the trans to something that is compatible with the available adapters for the TDI.

I have most of my ducks in a row now. I need to find a good engine to swap in w/ ECU, including pedal assembly