BOMBER Board
4angels

Looking for opinions, not spending $$ yet

If and I say IF i decide to do some upgrades to the 06 NB...

1. What is all this I ready about cleaning the intake? Please educate me.

2. Would you do some mild nozzles and leave everything else stock?

3. Would you go with a Malone Stage 1, forget the nozzles?

again, IF I do anything I want to avoid a clutch for a bit because I already need to do the Struts and Shocks. I need some recovery time.....

Please share your thoughts.

The intake cokes up with egr and the excessive PCV that the TDI has. If you pull the intake boot and have a look, its nasty. Pure airflow reason. Very simple to do.

As for the tuning. Malone Stg 1 netted me better mileage and MUCH better power. Clutch safe, and very fun to drive.

Tuning with bigger nozzles is also able to be kept 'clutch safe' but this relies a bunch on the guy behind the wheel not trying to beat on it in lower RPM range. My silver 99 (ALH) lost mileage with bigger nozzles with me driving it, but gained mileage with my folks driving it. They consistently get 51-52. I drove it like it owed me money and got 36-38.

Over all, I'd tune it.... leave the injectors alone for now (Malone can send you a new tune for cheap, I think Lisa's upgrade tune was 175-200 bucks, sent through email)

Inspect the intake and see how bad it is. If she's nasty, pull the intake and put it back together without the cooler and valve.

• Like 1

If and I say IF i decide to do some upgrades to the 06 NB...

IF? lol

I would venture a guess to say its already too late. If yer askin, yer doin. Seems that way around here.

:D

IF? lol

I would venture a guess to say its already too late. If yer askin, yer doin. Seems that way around here.

:D

easy there big guy. this is future planning stuff..............

I don't know if the PD engines get coked up as much as the VE/ALH that we all have. Mike at diesel outfitters is the only PD engine I know of.

He'd also know about the tunes. He can flash it right there. I would just do a malone stage 1 and be happy as suggested above.

Tune it, maybe EGR and cooler delete, and keep on driving. The tuner will also correct the glow plugs issue.

PD EGR valves and intakes aren't very susceptible to clogging: as bad a rap as the VE engines got they're not bad as long as you know how to operate/drive them (had one engine go 150k miles before I cleaned things up [most miles up to that point were from previous owners]- performance was still good).

Messing with injectors on the PD engines is significantly more costly than on the VE engines.  Fortunately, however, tunes on PD engines can command a lot more fuel (stage 2 and, maybe stage 3 before changes to injectors?)

Really, always, comes down to being able to specify what kind of performance numbers one is looking to achieve.

Yard out the EGR before the tune. You can get a tune from Malone that will make the computer stop looking for the EGR and keep the light from coming on. 

Edited by Woodenhead

I have a 2006, Let's see it has Malone 1.5.  Still stock injectors.

It does have a new Southbend clutch.  I felt the stock clutch slip once at 155K.  I had it replaced.

Mike at Diesel Outfitters did all this work. 

My egr has been turned off due to leaking on the arm that controls it i blocked off the ports on exhuast and intake left cooler in place due to lazyness intake was only mildly dirty has some build up when i checked it at cam swap last month its sitting at 247k. I would love a tune sounds like minimal benefit and i have the dsg trans.