Abbyfireguy

Dash cams?

My son talked us into getting dash cams for our vehicles. He is still figuring out which unit is best for my wifes 2013 Accord with all the cameras and gadgets already in the car.

He has a Merrill H501 on the way as well as a GPS Module.

I may order a second one so I have one in my truck and VW. They arent too expensive..

What do the rest of you guys use?

The drivers on the roads aint getting any better and I am having more and more weird things happen as time goes by driving.

Ive noticed some can be setup for security when parked that would be cool feature.

I have had a KD Link for several years now. Initially, it worked just fine. However, I suppose like us, it doesn't start up correctly on occasion, freezes to the picture it sees when you shut it off and you have to restart it with several on/off button cycles. There are units out there now that are 2 camera systems, that is to say, front and back. A model with motion detector while the vehicle is parked would be handy as there seems to be an increase in vehicle vandalism lately.

Would I recommend a KD Link? Don't think so. Or perhaps I'm expecting too much (life expectancy) for a unit that cost more than 100 bucks.

Edited by NWDave

I've got one of these in my car - it's been working good for three years now (Mine is a Mini 0803), Every once in awhile, I have to take the SD card out and format it to keep it from shutting itself off, but I think I have a setting screwed up in the camera, and when it fills the card up, it doesnt overwrite the old stuff. With a 32gb card it lasts for months.

https://www.amazon.com/Adashine-Dashboard-Smallest-Ambarella-Upgraded/dp/B01EJBW1H0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513086209&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+0803

Here's a video from it

There is a great dash cam video player called RegistratorVI that I use also

Figured Id just add this onto an existing thread. Ive been doing me research on dash cameras since their are hundred to choose from. Found this website which has seemingly honest reviews in a lot of different units.

https://www.carcamcentral.com

After reading and watching their comparison of some different dual (front back) cameras I think Im going to get two of these mini 0906 cameras for the car and van so they have front and back views.

https://www.amazon.com/Veckle-Channel-Dashboard-Recorder-Recording/dp/B0746BCFBF

Im undecided on the camera for the truck but probably just get a single view camera for it since it usually has the canopy in it or a trailer behind it anyway.

• Like 1

That Veckley looks like a nice unit. I’d like to hear how you like whichever one you decide on, after you get it installed and in use.

I just bought a two camera system from rear view safety mine is a backup camera for the tailgate of the truck and a rear view camera for the camper so I can keep an eye on the boat while driving.

They have very high quality stuff and sell a lot of cameras for semi trucks and trailers.

They have a lot of front and rear view cameras with various methods of recording and operation. I am looking at a rear view mirror with a camera built in it is hard wired and turns on when the truck is started it can be used with a memory card or a dvr.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

so why didn't you say what ya bought Hoss huh huh huh ... we needs to know :) geees we buy ya book , send ya to school and look how ya turned out

Edited by GTroyer

so why didn't you say what ya bought Hoss huh huh huh ... we needs to know :) geees we buy ya book , send ya to school and look how ya turned out

I just showed up via fed ex on Saturday and its still in the box here in the house. I was planning on doing a write up on it as soon as I install it.

I just showed up via fed ex on Saturday and its still in the box here in the house. I was planning on doing a write up on it as soon as I install it.

Is it installed yet?

Is it installed yet?....... Now??............ Now??......... is it installed now??.......... How's the install going?.......... Is it done yet?? :lol:

Edited by Shady

I'm watching for wireless installs of distance / range use .. I want two cam system for truck rear and 34' trailer rear ... so looking for results posts here

also I use extended stinger do to square flatbed corners v/s cut 45 degree corners so the truck to trailer rear length is more like a 40' distance.

sure would be nice to park the trailer in blind tight spots without the wife's "help" LOL

Edited by GTroyer

I'm watching for wireless installs of distance / range use .. I want two cam system for truck rear and 34' trailer rear ... so looking for results posts here

also I use extended stinger do to square flatbed corners v/s cut 45 degree corners so the truck to trailer rear length is more like a 40' distance.

sure would be nice to park the trailer in blind tight spots without the wife's "help" LOL

I looked at several wireless systems for my camper and none could make the cut. Most are battery operated and that's a no go for me and of the hardwired units none had power to shoot thru the camper and truck and give a good signal.

What I bought from rear view safety is a hardwired unit with a trailer style plug it is made for mounting g on the back of a semi trailer and the camera is completely waterproof and vibration proof. Great night vision as well.

Rear view is the company name ?

What about now???🤣

Rear view is the company name ?

Rear view safety

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017P8H7BO/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520286111&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=furrion+backup+camera&dpPl=1&dpID=410NuXLopqL&ref=plSrch#

This Furrion FOS48TA-BL came with my new Raptor. Camera is hardwired. Have not used it yet, but just sitting in the truck about 50' away, (with the RV between camera and monitor)it comes in strong. Will use it on the way home in April.😎

Only a rear view.☹️

Not to beat a dead horse but that Carcamcentral website is a wealth of good information for researching these cameras, I've spent a lot of time on it over the past few days. Finally placed my order today for two of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746BCFBF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and decided on one of these for the truck

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HN0HBFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

along with hardwire kits for them so I don't have to deal with cig lighter plugs. Also, they'll have parking/motion functions so if someone messes with the rig or drives into it while it's parked hopefully I'll have some footage.

The whole mess ended up costing me just shy of $450 including the 4yr square trade protection plans which really wasn't much extra. I honestly thought I could do all this with a few $50 cameras but once I started looking at quality and features I started to realize if I really need them one day I'd really be wanting a quality image. This really wasn't in the budget at the moment but after the whole situation with the Moses Lake wreck and a lot of close calls lately I've realized cameras are almost becoming a necessity these days.

• Like 1

Mr Head of Wood, is it installed yet?

I bookmarked it, thanks.

Leaning towards that one as previous one was a dud x2 and sent back.

Mr Head of Wood, is it installed yet?

I bookmarked it, thanks.

Leaning towards that one as previous one was a dud x2 and sent back.

Ill be sure to write a long winded post once theyre in :D.

It was around $10 for the Square Trade 4yr protection plan. I figured thats good value since its gonna get roasted in the summer time, which its supposed to handle.

So I ordered these off Amazon last night at about 9:30, they were delivered to the house before noon today. Thats almost a bit spooky. Im not exactly living in the city here.

don't ya just love amazon prime :)