Riddle me this...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

What's long and black and has teeth?

The first thing I always do with a new to me VW is change the belt, water pump, tensioners and any seals on the front of the engine. Now I haven't kept any long enough to have to change them again ( except in the case of a failure ) but I noticed that the book call for a new belt every 40k. I can see 60-80k but 40? I use to change the belt on my track car every other track day just because it was cheap insurance. So what's really necessary? I can see pulling the cover off once a year to have a look.

#2 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 12,376 posts
  • Interests:Just about any type of fabrication.. the crazier the better...

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

I use Gates or Continental belts and change them every 100k miles. I have had to change the one in my Jetta twice. Once when I first got it and then 100k later.

I did my Daughter Golf when we first got it also. Everyone alway says they just had them changed... I don't trust that so much.

#3 stroketeck

stroketeck
  • Members
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:30 PM

yes 100k mile, kit from kerma

#4 Packards42

Packards42

Retirement looking pretty easy, just setting prioities.

• Members
  • 17,866 posts
  • Interests:Retirement, antique cars, and trucks.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

wife Fj is nearing the 100K mark,  do they require a timing belt??  Just did a search, it appear they use a timing chain.

ouch

saw this on line a few minutes ago!

"I took my FJ to the dealer with a Cam senser problem on bank one and after $900 diagnostic and finding the problem they recommended to have the timing chain replace at a cost of 3678 on top of the 900. Killer.Thinking of taking it somewhere else."

Edited by Packards42, 30 November 2017 - 12:49 AM.

#5 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:02 AM

I always try to use Continental belts because I've never had one fail.

I thought kerma was a bit over priced on some of their products. I get good pricing on most all of the regular maintenance items for VW's

#6 Abbyfireguy

Abbyfireguy

If its brown,its down!!

• Members
  • 2,745 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and camping

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

I had a sweet deal for the first few years I owned my TDI. My wife’s cousin who,lives in Germany had close connections to VW.
He would bring small stuff like timing belt kits,injectors and suspension bushing in his suitcase for me at great prices and they were quality OEM items.
We tend to get more crappy knock off VW stuff here from Asian factories than the Europeans do.
I will always pay a bit more for a trusted oem supplier than off shore no name garbage !

#7 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

I had a sweet deal for the first few years I owned my TDI. My wifes cousin who,lives in Germany had close connections to VW.
He would bring small stuff like timing belt kits,injectors and suspension bushing in his suitcase for me at great prices and they were quality OEM items.
We tend to get more crappy knock off VW stuff here from Asian factories than the Europeans do.
I will always pay a bit more for a trusted oem supplier than off shore no name garbage !

That's interesting Steve. I travel to Europe frequently, I should email a colleague over there and have him price some stuff out.

#8 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

That's interesting Steve. I travel to Europe frequently, I should email a colleague over there and have him price some stuff out.

Whole new meaning to Bombers Express

#9 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

I had a sweet deal for the first few years I owned my TDI. My wife’s cousin who,lives in Germany had close connections to VW.

There are some parts you just don't skimp on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users