No 2500 and 3500 into Mexico

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

I was on a camper forum and seen a post on people being denied entry into Mexico with truck campers. Doing a internet search it appears that any pickup with over 10,000 GVW rating is being denied because they are considered a commercial vehicle. Motor homes seem to be exempt because that are considered RVs.
Just wondering if any e heard about this. Reading different forums it sounds like people that have been doing to for years are now unable to enter.
I am not planning on ever going, but I think there are some people hear that are.

#2 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 2,781 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to/Retiring in Mexico, Aircraft, Sea Kayaking, Hiking

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:02 AM

Wow, this certainly would impact my plans.

Do you know if this is happening at all border crossings, or just one in particular. It is not uncommon for the rules to be interpreted differently at different crossings.

On edit:

I started reading too. One forum has a discussion about this last year and I saw one post that had a plausible explanation.

Many states classify 3/4 and 1 ton pickup trucks as "COMMERCIAL" or "COMMERCIAL/PRIVATE" and such is stated on the registration regardless, even if 100% private use.  North Carolina states "PRIVATE/COMMERCIAL"  on the registration for all vehicles with a 7000#+ GVWR.   

The problem returning to the US begins when a Mexican agent sees the word "COMMERCIAL" on the registration.  thus, for those of us with private 2/3 and 1 ton private pickup trucks,  the "official" reason for the visit to Mexico and return to the USA just changed in the eyes of the Mexican government.  Mexican officials may now have reason to believe you entered Mexico with out the requisite commercial forms and inspections.

It is very problematic for residents of those states where there is little recourse regarding actual v. state required classification on the registration, such as NC.

I don't know offhand how my registration reads here in Washington state. I will need to check, and look into this further before I buy my TC...

Thanks Bob.

Edited by Shady, 11 October 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#3 stroketeck

stroketeck
  • Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

in Canada, every truck is listed comercial even a ranger

#4 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

Does anyone know, off the top of their head, what the WA state registration says for 3/4 & 1 ton trucks? Is the word "Commercial" used? (I am especially interested in how the 1 ton registration reads).

I can't go out to my truck until lunch time to check.

#5 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

I am thinking... In WA, I believe that you can register your truck and TC as an RV if you leave the TC on all the time. One plate for both and not have to pay tonnage.  That might be a workaround for me. I think that If I needed to haul some gravel or something I could pull the TC off and get a 3 day trip permit. 

I believe this would circumvent any border crossing issues.

#6 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

Scott, this is where I got a lot of the info. It gets really long and childish. Looks like Baja is not effected.
https://www.rv.net/f.../pging/1/page/1

#7 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

It's not how it's registered, they are looking at max GVWR on the door jamb- over 7,7xx no entry. Looks like new laws this year down there. Last page has recent info. Hope you can figure this out

#8 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

Wow. that was a lot of reading... and yes, very immature too.

I am still unconvinced that the law is intended to keep 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton trucks out of Mexico. I personally have experienced the varying interpretations of other laws in Mexico. I bet what is forbidden at one border crossing, is permitted at another. Hopefully the furor over this will cause the Mexican Government to clarify, and flow the information out to their officials at the border.

Thanks Bob!

#9 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

Not here Dave.
Have to answer specific questions before registration but you do have a choice of private or commercial.
Mine is commercial of course

#10 stroketeck

stroketeck
  • Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

must be a BC thing

#11 SMOKN05

SMOKN05

to those who know this it is Holy!

• Contributor
  • 10,570 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a turbo, the bigger the better.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:48 AM

I don't really have a dog in this fight but, Scott, what would worry me not what the "intent" of the law in Mexico is, what's being practiced is where it could get sticky. Regardless of intent, if the border agents act one way or the other, the people crossing the border are the ones affected. And I don't think Mexico has a very good reputation for things like corruption, paying people off and applying laws equally and fairly.

#12 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:11 AM

I don't really have a dog in this fight but, Scott, what would worry me not what the "intent" of the law in Mexico is, what's being practiced is where it could get sticky. Regardless of intent, if the border agents act one way or the other, the people crossing the border are the ones affected. And I don't think Mexico has a very good reputation for things like corruption, paying people off and applying laws equally and fairly.

I think that is what would worry me. The uncertainty of wearer you will get in or not.
I really believe I will never go to Mexico. I don't have enough years left to see all I want of the lower 48, no need to cross a border for me

#13 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 21,923 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:00 AM

I think that is what would worry me. The uncertainty of wearer you will get in or not.
I really believe I will never go to Mexico. I don't have enough years left to see all I want of the lower 48, AND CANADA no need to cross a SOUTHERN border for me

***  there fixed it for you :)

#14 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

I really believe I will never go to Mexico. I don't have enough years left to see all I want of the lower 48, no need to cross a border for me

I get it guys... Mexico bureaucracy is crazy hard to deal with. Even paying a water bill or renewing license tabs is an exercise in patience. It is quite common to get one answer from one official, and quite the different answer from another. But, that usually means, if at first you don't succeed, try again, and maybe again... and again... Usually it works out if you are not doing something clearly forbidden.

I have been traveling to Mexico nearly every year since the late 70's. I've hitchhiked up and down baja, and ridden numerous chicken buses all over after crossing  the border many many times. I've taken American plated vehicles with a TIP into and back out of Mexico, I've imported a US vehicle into Mexico  and driven it throughout the country with Mexican plates on it. I've been pulled over a few times by corrupt police and Federales and have been shaken down for bribes (mordita) on more than one occasion. (Ive never paid a bribe, and haven't been tossed into the clink yet... knock on wood!).

While some government bureaucrats are puffed up little peacocks, filled with self importance and possessing little knowledge, or common sense, and some officials, police & Federales are corrupt, they are actually the exceptions, not the rule in my experience.

With that being said, I will research and follow this closely to see which way it falls. I have a friend in the Mexico Consulate in Seattle and I will send her a note to see what she says about this. I doubt that I would ever cross a southern Mexico border with a vehicle. Getting stuck in Guatemala and having to leave my vehicle behind there would not be no bueno!... If I drove down to the US Mexico border and just couldn't get across, it wouldn't be that big of a disaster. But if I knew that the laws were changing with the intent of keeping private (non-commercial) 1/3 ton and 1 ton pickups out of Mexico, I would probably change my plans for buying a TC...

#15 Abbyfireguy

Abbyfireguy

If its brown,its down!!

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and camping

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

Esspecially for the cone heads at BC Ferries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users