• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Albino99

Albino99
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors and piston driven machines

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

Installed a set of new sway bar ends links. It appears my passenger side sway bar is twisted slightly on it's end. The tapered pocket for the upper bushing is not parallel and an air gap can be seen on one side. Should I look into replacing the bar or? 

Attached Files

#2 marksmith

marksmith
  • Members
  • 7,733 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping. ┬áThat sort of stuff

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

I personally have them tighter, enough for the bushings to bulge, and let the bushing take the inconsistency out of it.

#3 Albino99

Albino99
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, I just replaced my stock end links with Maxx Links. The stock end links were bent over and the front bushings were wallowed out. The directions for the new end links specifically say to not over tighten the bushings by making them bulge. They say to tighten the bushings down until zero clearance and then an additional 1-2 turns. Following this carefully, I still have a gap and uneven mating surface on the passenger side. Not sure what to do. 

Attached Files

#4 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,122 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

Not tight enough, I personally would have used energy suspension bushings.

#5 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 11,756 posts
  • Interests:Welding rust back together.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

My Maxx Link ends bent just as the stock ones do. If you tighten the bushings anymore than you have them now they will bend also as soon as you put the truck on a lift and unload the suspension.

I went with Tuff Country links afterward because I got tired of damaging the links anytime I put the truck on the lift.

http://www.autoanyth...BSABEgIAkfD_BwE

I would certainly tighten those bushings much more. The bend in the end of the sway bar is factory. I don't know why they did it but it is normal.

#6 Albino99

Albino99
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Starting to think I wasted my money on the wrong end links, those ones that Ben posted are stout looking!

#7 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 11,756 posts
  • Interests:Welding rust back together.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

Sorry Chris, that wasn't my intention for posting those. I am a little concerned about getting noise from the Tuff Country links as they age. So far they are doing well but I don't have a lot of miles on them.

#8 DRobinson

DRobinson
  • Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

My brother in laws 3rd gen has the Carli end links. They are similar to the tuff country with the heims. He's had them for several years and not many miles (truck sits allot). Last year they started to snap and creek quite often in off road situations. I don' t think he's done anything about them yet but its annoying when driving it for sure.

The adjustable control arms I put on my 4th gen pushed the axle forward enough to put the bushing back close to the stock location. I'm hoping they last a long time.

#9 Albino99

Albino99
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Sorry Chris, that wasn't my intention for posting those. I am a little concerned about getting noise from the Tuff Country links as they age. So far they are doing well but I don't have a lot of miles on them.

No worries Ben!  I was just intrigued by how well they were built compared to OEM design. Yeah, I think I'll tighten down the end links some more to bridge the gap. Currently driving the pickup, I can feel & hear a faint "pop" when turning. I imagine the end links are moving around because they are too loose. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users