Mad Bomber

How to remove a stud

Using an Allen wrench on them at the top won't remove them? You can also put 2 nuts on them and tighten them together. Then use one of the nuts to wrench the stud out. If they are rusted in, you may need to soak them in penetrating oil. If you use a pipe wrench or pliers to get them out, you will most likely damage them and they shouldn't be used if that happens.

• Like 1

How about some penetrating oil and Heat and the double nutted idea

I had similar issues and ended up using a jam nut on top of an ARP nut and had to loctite it all together. Destroyed a few jam nuts before I went to the loctite. The ARP nut needed to be on the bottom.

I had similar issues and ended up using a jam nut on top of an ARP nut and had to loctite it all together. Destroyed a few jam nuts before I went to the loctite. The ARP nut needed to be on the bottom.

I did the same thing but used two ARP nuts facing each other no loctite required

I did the same thing but used two ARP nuts facing each other no loctite required

Maybe that's what I did. I seem to recall having to capture the box end wrench under the bottom nut. I know I destroyed a few jam nuts and the loctite was a last resort before it got real ugly.

What about if removing the head and using vice grips on the middle of the stud. Does this hurt the stud doing this?

Vice grips will mar the stud. I'd be afraid of weakening it.

What about if removing the head and using vice grips on the middle of the stud. Does this hurt the stud doing this?

Yes it'll hurt the stud, which is already prone to cracking. You may not be able to get the head off depending which stud it is. You'd also risk bouncing the head off the top of the stud and damaging the surface.

Did you try cleaning the threads and double nutting with loctite?

In that case absolutely remove the head. That should give you plenty of access to double nut two ARP nuts with the flange faces together and use a box end wrench on the bottom. I'll be surprised if that doesn't do it.

Edited by Woodenhead