• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

Well sorta...
The drive down to my marina is a steep ass road that drops 1000' elevation in a pretty short distance with a few good hair pins along the way. It's 2nd gear with the exhaust brake all the way down with a bit of 3rd gear. With the boat, trailer, fuel etc I'm around 11k lbs. all this adds up to being hell on the surge brakes, last year they smoked so bad I was worried about a fire, I later found I burned up the grease in a wheel and melted out a seal.

When I replaced the brakes I wired in one of those solenoids that locks out the brakes when you put it in reverse. Instead of tying it to the reverse lights I wired a switch from the cab to the pin on my trailer plug.

Flip the switch, lock out the surge brakes, let the exhaust brake do the work and nice cool trailer brakes coming down the hill. As an added bonus I can turn it on to keep from smoking the trailer tire's when coming home without the boat.

1A31803E-B990-4E51-81AF-02224FDD3266.jpg

#2 skyking

skyking
  • Administrators
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

nice! I would want some light or reminder so I would be sure to have the brakes operative when needed.

#3 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

nice! I would want some light or reminder so I would be sure to have the brakes operative when needed.

The switch has a pilot light, strangely enough it burned out yesterday. It'd be pretty hard to forget though, it's a pretty intense ride down the hill so you tend to be in tune.

#4 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 22,043 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

I'm with Kelly on that  , only takes once  ..... assume the switch activates the system immediately when thrown 

#5 SMOKN05

SMOKN05

to those who know this it is Holy!

• Contributor
  • 10,591 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a turbo, the bigger the better.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

Nice job! :rk:

#6 Reco Very

Reco Very

holding firm....

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:my wife, guns and reloading.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:54 PM

Nice set up. That hill is intense for sure. We took the old family school bus down it once, and that was enough. :unsure:

#7 ram2pete

ram2pete

old rig will be missed

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:49 PM

Great hill for checking your tail lights while sitting in the drivers seat.  Lol

#8 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,080 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:26 AM

They use that setup on disc brake axles because the brakes will lock up if you try to back up.
With as much towing as I have done I should have done the exhaust brake on my 97. I actually had one in a box but got a new truck instead!

#9 skyking

skyking
  • Administrators
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

I miss my exhaust brake on the new truck. It will have to happen.

#10 199712valve

199712valve

199712valve

• Members
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:work, pay bills, repeat...

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

well Mike, you are the man on fixing these problems, your knowledge and skills is on par with Ben!!!

#11 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

well Mike, you are the man on fixing these problems, your knowledge and skills is on par with Ben!!!

Now why you gotta go throwing Ben under the bus like that lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users