AC compressor replacement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,080 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Well just as it says. I was going to have a leisurely day for father's day and swap out my ac compressor, evacuate the system and charge it up so I can finally have AC again. Let's just say it's not as easy on a Beetle as a Jetta or golf. First the alternator has to come out then it would be much easier if you removed the lower rad hose so you can get to the ac lines on the pump. After you get the lines off you can bring the compressor out the top. I left the clutch off so I can get a good air gap set after it's all installed. So after a few cycles of the clutch I was happy with it and went to tighten down the center bolt and it twisted off. Now I have a good compressor with a broken clutch bolt. I guess I can pull the clutch off and put some red loctite on the shaft and hope it stays together. My other option is to take my old compressor apart and see if it's serviceable, if it is I will clean it up and reseal it and put a new clutch disc on it. My summer is going to be very busy with other activities and I didn't want to work on it after I got this done. Oh well, tomorrow I put my new techtonics tuning exhaust system on and then back to the ac issue. Hopefully that will be it until winter.

#2 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,080 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

The AC blows cold! Don't know if it will stay together but it is what it is. I will deal with it at a later date. My exhaust is on and it's just what I was looking for, it's quite going down the hwy with no drone at all. I put on a techtonics tuning cat back system, it's a 2.25" mandrel bent tubing with a stainless Magnaflow muffler and a 20" resonator. I bought it from a guy in Eugene and it was brand new and never installed.
I don't really want to do much to the engine because then I will need to have it tuned, as it is with the exhaust I'm going to be on the edge of stock tunes capabilities. The 2.0 was never intended to be a performance platform. The 1.8 turbo is a much better option.

I will be having a TDI 5 speed for sale by the end of summer, I'm going to rebuild my old broken trans with a better final drive ratio. The TDI's final drive of 3.38 and the .75 OD is just to high for my Beetle to make good use of it. So I'm going to split the difference and put a 3.64 final drive ratio in and call it a day.

My winter project will be putting a double din stereo in it. I'm going to use a OEM touch screen from a newer Jetta.

#3 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

All this typing...lol
Nevermind
Have pancakes

#4 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

Yummy. But I think I will make a turkey club.

#5 Packards42

Packards42

Retirement looking pretty easy, just setting prioities.

• Members
  • 17,713 posts
  • Interests:Retirement, antique cars, and trucks.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

pancakes sound good.

#6 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

Yes they do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users