Sign in to follow this  
Abbyfireguy

Cleaning injector pockets

Having an old timer moment here. What do we use for cleaning injector pockets?

Done several injector changes on the 12 valve. Now doing the Toyota diesel for my son. Similar looking set up but I am having nothing but brain farts! Gotta make sure the pockets are clean before putting the new sticks in...

I use a vacuum with a small hose to suck up the big junk and a shotgun bore brush to clean the bottom of the pockets before installing new injectors.

and then after the brush re-vaccumne .. AND MAKE SURE the copper crush washer came out with the old injector

I use a vacuum with a small hose to suck up the big junk and a shotgun bore brush to clean the bottom of the pockets before installing new injectors.

What he said ^^

I've had carbon buildup in the small bore as well making the new injectors tight, another smaller brush worked well for that. A bit of carb cleaner helps to break things down too. Wear your glasses, I know you know but once I forgot with the solvent and that stuff burns the eyes...apparently.

Thanks guys... Now I remember... I am such a Tard...my brain is in overload.

If you are up on the compression stroke (both sets of valves closed) you can also lay some rags around the bore and use a blast of air with a spray nozzle that is long and thin. place the nozzle at the base of the bore and let it rip. It will blow almost everything out of the bore. I have also used a screw driver with a paper towel to wipe the bores out. Other than that the suggestions above all work well also.

I found a brush kit at harbor freight that has multiple sizes of brass and nylon brushes. I also have the Cummins cleaner brush for the 12 valve, followed with a vacuum (or air blast).

I also use my bore scope a lot on this kind of thing to make sure is clean