jcasper

I'm ordering a new 3500

My one concern is like Bens, sometimes location but also have to think about use. If you have a large tank but don't use it the fuel may go bad/condensate while sitting.

I would lean more towards the underbed options I use the he'll outa my bed. A plus is unless you have accessories blocking you don't loose space or have to mess with it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

IMHO ... fears are not founded , I use my rig to tow south and back once a year and north once a year and then the truck sits 99% of the time other than those two uses . I do use fuel conditioners and cetane boosters ... never in 17 years of use had any fuel related issues or even a hint of it. and BTW many of those years lived in mountains and worked in low valley where temps exceeded 100 daytime and mid 50 or lower nights in summer , winter snows and cold to warm days again in the valley so saw extremes daily

I would be more concerned with gasoline than diesel , and if you were worried then use algicide with each fill up

OH and I never had water in fuel separator either.

I use my meter display for my oil changes (15K)

I usually change the oil every 6 wks with my schedule/miles.

Turning 190k miles right now on my 16. Nicely broke in.

Each of us have preferences on how things work for us with our rides hey?

I saw a guy that had the titan factory tank and a spare tire tank.

Was very stealth. I didnt think to ask him where his spare was lol.

Holy crap you drive alot! I guess it all depends on how much fuel you want.

IMHO ... fears are not founded , I use my rig to tow south and back once a year and north once a year and then the truck sits 99% of the time other than those two uses . I do use fuel conditioners and cetane boosters ... never in 17 years of use had any fuel related issues or even a hint of it. and BTW many of those years lived in mountains and worked in low valley where temps exceeded 100 daytime and mid 50 or lower nights in summer , winter snows and cold to warm days again in the valley so saw extremes daily

I would be more concerned with gasoline than diesel , and if you were worried then use algicide with each fill up

OH and I never had water in fuel separator either.

Well it could be a factor that you use conditioners and boosters. But I'm no expert. Just a concern I would have. Although storing indoors helps with condensation . I store my ram in the shop 95% of the time.

My wife an I are really into older Chevy and I know is gas but I would believe tanks to be similar. I know they love to suck water in if they sit for long periods.

Now that being said I've never had water in fuel in the 3 diesels I have owned 12v lb7 now common rail.

I have 11 huge fog generators across he River from me. They are the cooling towers for the power plant. Not sure if they are the reason for having water in my spare tank, but like I said, I never had an issue with it until I moved to Longview. Down here it made about a cup of water every 2 months..

I have 11 huge fog generators across he River from me. They are the cooling towers for the power plant. Not sure if they are the reason for having water in my spare tank, but like I said, I never had an issue with it until I moved to Longview. Down here it made about a cup of water every 2 months..

In 19 years of living in Longview, I don't think I've ever found a cup of water total in my fuel. Typically when I change my filter, I don't see any water and I always catch it just to check.

Figured a little update here. Currently sitting at 7,200 miles and no problems with the truck at all. I'm pretty dang happy. I haven't towed much with it still as the old truck just stays hooked to the horse trailer.

I did the first oil change at 2,500 miles because it sounded like a good idea. I now have 4,700 miles on that oil and the meter still says it has almost 60% oil life left. I'm not sure I have it in me to leave the oil in for 10,000 miles.

X2 sample it ... are you eventually going with synthetics [after a good break-in ] ??

Currently at 11,000 miles. Not racking the miles up as quick on this one as the old truck. I live closer to work and having the old truck hooked to the horse trailer most of the time saves a lot of time and miles on this one.

Last weekend we took the oldest daughter to Redmond for the state OHSET (Oregon High School Equestrian) meet. She had qualified for state in Dressage, Jumping, Horsemanship, Hunt Seat, In Hand Obstacle Relay, and Drill team. This takes 3 different horses to get all these events done. Out of all those events she qualified for PNWIC (this is the regional event where the top 5 in Oregon and Washington compete) in Horsemanship, Hunt Seat, In Hand Obstacle Relay and their drill team although placing 7th, gets to go because 2 teams won't make the drive to the event. This year the event is in Moses Lake.

My wife hauled the horses over in our 3 horse trailer with her dads 05 Dodge 3500 and I hauled our fifth wheel over. I offered up my new truck to her for the horses and she'd rather drive the old truck. She really doesn't like driving my new truck and I don't complain.

Loaded to about 21,000 lbs in my 2017 I netted 11.6 going over Santiam pass to Redmond and 13.5 coming home. I have to say I can't touch that with the old 04.5 towing that heavy.

new one got the new [sp?] tranny Joe ?

very good milage BTW ... I don't see that in my 6sp at 60-62 MPH

Edited by GTroyer

new one got the new [sp?] tranny Joe ?

very good milage BTW ... I don't see that in my 6sp at 60-62 MPH

My 2017 has the Aisin transmission. I wasn't going slow. My wife was ahead of me. I was playing catch up the whole trip.

Changed both fuel filters last night for the first time.  13,700 miles on it and the meter said it had 8% life left.   I know it's based off mileage but that was about 750 gallons burned it said.   

I"m thinking now is the time to sell all my trailers and go to bumper pull, put a 4" lift and 37's under the truck.   I'm not skinny and agile enough to be under that darn tank trying to get to the filter above the driveline.    

I got it done, but my cotton shirt soaked up a half gallon of diesel.   

The next time I think the bottom half of an antifreeze jug will help a lot to collect the fuel.   Hopefully I can do it next time with a little less mess, but once I was wedged under the the truck wheel to wheel steps I didn't want to crawl back out.   

Changed both fuel filters last night for the first time.  13,700 miles on it and the meter said it had 8% life left.   I know it's based off mileage but that was about 750 gallons burned it said.   

I"m thinking now is the time to sell all my trailers and go to bumper pull, put a 4" lift and 37's under the truck.   I'm not skinny and agile enough to be under that darn tank trying to get to the filter above the driveline.    

The next time I think the bottom half of an antifreeze jug will help a lot to collect the fuel.   Hopefully I can do it next time with a little less mess, but once I was wedged under the the truck wheel to wheel steps I didn't want to crawl back out.   
Save a lot of money and hassle getting rid of trailers and put a lift in your shop. Makes that filter change a breeze
  • Like 1

Just now, HOSS said:
27 minutes ago, jcasper said:

Save a lot of money and hassle getting rid of trailers and put a lift in your shop. Makes that filter change a breeze

Maybe when the arena is done and paid for I can get a lift.    

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 9:25 AM, jcasper said:

Maybe when the arena is done and paid for I can get a lift.    

Joe I was really shocked at how inexpensive they are (at least I thought they would be much more than they are) granted I ended up not having to pay for mine thanks to the fine members of this board!!!!! :ThumbsUP:

But I truly dont know how I lived without one for as long as I did. I am sure that just in maintenance alone a lift would pay for itself rather quickly for most people as long as you have room for it.  

35 minutes ago, HOSS said:

Joe I was really shocked at how inexpensive they are (at least I thought they would be much more than they are) granted I ended up not having to pay for mine thanks to the fine members of this board!!!!! :ThumbsUP:

But I truly dont know how I lived without one for as long as I did. I am sure that just in maintenance alone a lift would pay for itself rather quickly for most people as long as you have room for it.  

Oh I know.   Just a lot of projects happening at my place right now and it's really going to drain some cash.

Once the building is done and ready for use, hopefully end of August for that.    I'll get some boarders in there and that will make the cash outlay each month considerably less.   

My Dannmar 10hxc is only 2500 bucks delivered.

Has never let me down.

1 minute ago, marksmith said:

My Dannmar 10hxc is only 2500 bucks delivered.

Has never let me down.

What's the install look like?  I'm picturing that I would need to cut out some of my floor and pour some pads 8-12" thick where this mounts.  How big would they need to be, 3'x3' or so?   

The floor in my shop is old, not cracked and real bad, but old and I'm sure it's only 4" thick at most.   

They are designed to bolt into a 4" slab as long as its sound.

No rebar needed.

My shop floor is 4" for example. 

Shop flooring being 4" is fine. Mine a is 4" also but I had much thicker areas dug in where the lift sits. Of course I knew where it was going.

Assembly and install isn't bad at all. I have done 2 now.