Looking into Excursions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 4x4manonbroke

4x4manonbroke

Diesel guru

• Members
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:lets see what this thing can really do ...... :)

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

Ok .. My wife and i are up to 3 kiddos plus us ... and i we are unwilling to do the mini van parade .. and we want diesel not gas...

So were looking at a 2003 Excursion, LOADED ... leather,auto,has video and all the goodies ...

It up for sale at 13,999.00 ...

It has 152k on the 6.0 Powerstroke ...

Knowing the ins and outs ... i know 6.0 means a few major upgrades....

Headstuds,up pipes, EGR cooler, egr valve, and possible a turbo ... i also understand they have injector issues....

So ... ideas like ... a 12v swap ... what above Emission controls ? ... i know destroked has the parts,wiring and such to make these swaps "easier" ... ?

Would we be better off in a 6.4 4door pick up? .. or save more and get the 6.7 Powerstroke?

I know thiers lotts of variables.... just looking for more input and issues i or rugbygoats haven't discussed already...

#2 ish

ish
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

I have three kids also and for long road trips the excursion is nice to separate the kids while driving.  We have done multiple trips to eastern Washington and one down to seaworld/Disneyland.  I pulled the body and did everything recommended on the 6.0 along with pulling the heads for getting them rebuilt, new main seals and pulling the tranny to put different solenoids in it.  I spent about $5k on parts and stuff.  My excursion only had 125k on it when I bought it.  With the fuel tank mod you can put 50.5 gallons in the tank -  I did it on the way to seaworld, avg 21 mpg doing 75 with the family down and back.  We only drive it when all 5 of us go somewhere so it sits a lot.  We have a 29' toyhauler that we tow with it and it does great, I don't try and be the fastest up the hill.  The excursion is nice because each kid can bring a friend when we go camping.  I would do it again if I had to. 

#3 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 6,933 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:55 PM

Why no mini van? For bang for your buck on a simple kid friendly ride with lots of space you can't beat them.

#4 4x4manonbroke

4x4manonbroke

Diesel guru

• Members
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

Mini vans wont tow much .. tops out at around 3500# .... if my family and i wanted to go camping im stuck driving 2 vehicles... instead of 1..
And then thiers interior comfort issues as well... and i hate minivans cause i have worked on far to many and they are ridiculous to do even simple maintenance on ... i remeber hating my self when i worked for larson automotive in Puyallup

#5 jcasper

jcasper

I want to go FAST!!!!

• Members
  • 9,551 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Cars, Family

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

At least you know what section to post in when talking about a ford.

#6 Torque Monkey

Torque Monkey

There is only one way to find out....

• Moderators
  • 11,431 posts
  • Interests:Welding rust back together.

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

Oh snap!

LMAO!

#7 4x4manonbroke

4x4manonbroke

Diesel guru

• Members
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:20 PM

:right: ... yeah .. I used to own a few 4 letter F words.... Could be worse... could be walkin :burnout:  

#8 marksmith

marksmith
  • Members
  • 7,608 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping. ┬áThat sort of stuff

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:58 AM

My 6.0 has 235k on it and it runs strong.

I would do an egr delete and plan on head gaskets in the future. For what you are going to pay for a swap, you will be able to make the 6.0 a pretty darn good power plant.

Injector issues are 90% maintenance related. Good oil, changed regularly, and making sure fuel pressure is correct are important.

Bottom line, I like 6.0 trucks.

#9 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

Mark really helped me when I bought my first 6.0. Sence then, with his help, others from this group, and lots of internet research, I am not afraid of the 6.0.
Like he said, they can be reliable and good running engines. You also get a GOOD 5 speed auto trans that holds up well with basic maintenance.
It seems to me on the last few years people have discovered that the 6.0 can be a good truck. When I started looking nice clean trucks where about $10,000. Now I see a lot of trucks in the $15,000 to 20,000 range, but most have them all the issues repaired- new headgakets with studs, new oil cooler, and EGR cooler delete (or upgrade) and HPOP system updates.

#10 DRobinson

DRobinson
  • Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

You mentioned 6.7 ford money, so why not get a mega cab? My sister and bro in law have one with 3 kids, works well for them.

#11 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 6,933 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

290013E2-B52C-49D4-8C46-55F1A315A6AC.png

Cheap enough that a guy could still piss away all kinds of time and $$ on it.

#12 Packards42

Packards42

Retirement looking pretty easy, just setting prioities.

• Members
  • 17,689 posts
  • Interests:Retirement, antique cars, and trucks.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:04 PM

That Excursion  has a lot of potential,  seen very cheap

#13 4x4manonbroke

4x4manonbroke

Diesel guru

• Members
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:20 PM

You mentioned 6.7 ford money, so why not get a mega cab? My sister and bro in law have one with 3 kids, works well for them.

Once I am back to work I wont mind buying another truck, my wife wants 8 passengers and doesn't like a big van looking thing, I will admit .... I was STUNNED when she said " I like this thing, Its beasty" ..my wife is 5' and 130 .... so this thing make her feel safe and in control .. which is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users