skyking

Dead pedal on the beetle.

It just started the other day and is getting worse. It's pretty weak when cold, and gets better when warmed up. If it's warm and I go easy for a while, I can get a decent pull out if it. Fuel filter was recently changed.

I'm thinking the injection pump is getting tired, almost 190k on it and the last 20 it's been turned up. These don't have​ a lift pump, so the injection pump has to drag it up from the tank.

I wonder if there's any benefit to adding a low pressure lift pump? Sorry I don't have any input for you Kelly, I would usually be looking at you for answers lol.

It made me wonder about adding a lift pump too. Is the injection pump pricy and/or difficult to swap out? My bay is open of you need a place to work on it Kelly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PD in tank pump ran off injection pump power wire. Idparts has the kit

Wondering if my pump is semi-knackered, will I just push a leak with the PD lift pump install?

Shady, thanks for the offer. The pump is relatively easy but you get to do the timing belt, which is another job unto itself.

I am betting your injection pump is taking a dookie. Sounds similar to what Paige's Golf was doing before I changed the injection pump. I believe a remand pump was $400.00 then a core charge. Good time to do a timing belt if you have any miles on the one you have now....

OK, I fixed my issue. As embarrassing as it is, I will tell you what it was..

When we did the clutch job, we pulled all sorts of parts out of the way. I had failed to properly install the engine end of the air intake duct. It had wiggled off and was replicating the same symptoms of a lazy MAF sensor. It would butt up tight now and again, and let me have that good pull. Then it would leak air and throw off the MAF output and cut fueling.

Whew! Glad it turned out to be an easy fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No kidding. I'd rather post up my simple problem solution so others might get so lucky. I learned a lot about bad MAFs and diagnosis along the way.

• Like 2

I really hate MAF issues. Glad you got it figured!

I tried starting a new topic but the internet is too flakey. 

The beetle is rolling coal like a pro. Low boost and real James Bond smoke.

I get 3-5 psi on the gauge, so I doubt anything came off like a pipe connection. I will be pulling codes whii get home.

I was wrong again . I need to keep making these bad assumptions, it saves me from grief :)

The race pipe was loose and a couple of bolts missing. Super easy fix, but I will need a new gasket. 25 psi tends to destroy things.

you must be spending too much drive time these days , never known you to have routine maintenance issues = long work hours and drive time 

Hope things improve for you Kelly 

Sounds like you need a spare car.... I know a Guy.🤣

• Like 1

I may get Saturday off. :) Since this is a PD 150 intake, nobody stocks that gasket locally. I will cut a new one. 

I don't want a whole spare car, but a 2 liter to build up would be great.👨‍🔧