BOMBER Board
Woodenhead

ALH turbo options

Turns out my turbo is puking oil into my intake (that's another thread).

What are my options? I know a VNT17 can go in but I don't plan on bombing this thing (much) and don't think I need more air. Is there a decent rebuild kit for the stock turbo? Or throw it away and start over?

I'll look what Bora/cascade has to offer, any other place known to have good prices on little spinny things?

Thanks.

I went with a plain ol VNT 15 at ID Parts for $800 + the free install kit and then bought the braided oil line and return line from Bora. Short of the Mahle turbo they have for $100 less, everything else was well into a grand by the time you get all the adapter pipes and stuff. I got a new intercooler from Bora that I swear was $100 but I can't find it there now.

Mine was losing oil at 235K and I futzed around with it for a good three weeks. Shaft felt fine from under the car and I even went so far as to put a screw in the bottom of the intercooler to drain easily and fairly often to try figure how much was coming out. Then one day I went to pass someone, got some good boost going in 3rd, then lost them in a big grey cloud and the car just kept going! I got the runaway stopped pretty quick and a tow home but still it seriously f-d that little car up bad. There was oil inside everything and caused myself a whole hell of a lot of extra work. If I knew then what I know now I woulda just bought a stupid turbo right at the start, changed it in an afternoon, and been well on my way. Once I got my old turbo on the bench I found you could push the shaft a good 3/8" from side to side.

So especially with a race pipe, park it and don't touch it till you have new turbo in hand. Don't forget to drain your intercooler before going anywhere. If you do chance it my bet is it's gonna happen to you going from 26 to 90. That spot is the perfect setup for it to suck up some oil so go easy on it there!

• Like 1

Also - the IC isnt too hard to pull out and clean - I'd do that when I pulled the turbo.

I bought mine from xsboost was 450 for my 06 after I sent core in 30k miles so far no issues

• Like 1

I don't think I will ever go back, and my stock turbo was OK when I pulled it.

You put in a VNT17? If you were leaving the fueling stock or just doing a tune for mileage would you still use that turbo? Are there other benefits to the bigger turbo aside from more air to help out when the fueling is increased?

Would a VNT17 help or hurt my mileage?

I went with a plain ol VNT 15 at ID Parts for $800 + the free install kit and then bought the braided oil line and return line from Bora. Short of the Mahle turbo they have for $100 less, everything else was well into a grand by the time you get all the adapter pipes and stuff. I got a new intercooler from Bora that I swear was $100 but I can't find it there now.

Mine was losing oil at 235K and I futzed around with it for a good three weeks. Shaft felt fine from under the car and I even went so far as to put a screw in the bottom of the intercooler to drain easily and fairly often to try figure how much was coming out. Then one day I went to pass someone, got some good boost going in 3rd, then lost them in a big grey cloud and the car just kept going! I got the runaway stopped pretty quick and a tow home but still it seriously f-d that little car up bad. There was oil inside everything and caused myself a whole hell of a lot of extra work. If I knew then what I know now I woulda just bought a stupid turbo right at the start, changed it in an afternoon, and been well on my way. Once I got my old turbo on the bench I found you could push the shaft a good 3/8" from side to side.

So especially with a race pipe, park it and don't touch it till you have new turbo in hand. Don't forget to drain your intercooler before going anywhere. If you do chance it my bet is it's gonna happen to you going from 26 to 90. That spot is the perfect setup for it to suck up some oil so go easy on it there!

Thank you for the info. Your mileage is almost exactly the same as mine (238k) so it looks like that's about the limit for this little buggers. I'm considering myself lucky that I didn't destroy the motor from lack of oil or have a runaway, the car will stay parked until I figure this out. As mentioned above, I suspect I'm in for a cleaning job at the same time to mop out the pipes.

I recall once last summer when I stood on the skinny pedal in town it took off pretty hard and farted out a little cloud of grey smoke. At the time I figured something stupid must have happened with a sensor and it got too much fuel, looking back now I'll bet it was starting to suck oil then already. 99% of my driving with this car is at 65mph and 75mph, I think that may have kept the oil from accumulating too much in the intake. It's also been pretty smokey on startup after work which I figured was just worn out nozzles but again, maybe early signs of these problems.

For future reference, looks like decent good info. here on R&Ring a TDI turbo.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/turbo-removal-turbo-replacement-on-alh-engine-bew-engine-similar/

Found a decent price on a "stock" replacement, will be here next week. I guess this gives me some time to work on the boat first.

Done. I put the old turbo on the bench about 30 seconds before the FedEx guy showed up with the new one, couldn't have timed it any better. That braided oil return line was a life saver.

This fell out at some point and I didn't put it back in. I'm not really sure where it came from or more so how important it is.

3DEDD7F3-C2BD-42CA-8E85-E6B21FF266A9.jpg

Edited by Woodenhead
  • Like 1

Done. I put the old turbo on the bench about 30 seconds before the FedEx guy showed up with the new one, couldn't have timed it any better. That braided oil return line was a life saver.

This fell out at some point and I didn't put it back in. I'm not really sure where it came from or more so how important it is.

3DEDD7F3-C2BD-42CA-8E85-E6B21FF266A9.jpg

I love it when it works that way. You are already in the mind set and have the tools out and ready.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

It's a bracket for a doo-dad.

Not important until you need it.

my wifes 2003 tdi jetta is at 195k and the turbo is covered in oil. Where and how much for a stock turbo?

Ish, I got the borg version from industrial Injection. Idparts.com and bora parts would be fair priced sources too.