Woodenhead

This winters boat project

Before I launch the boat for the summer I'm going to replace gimbal bearings, bellows, shift cables and all the control cables, maybe the u-joints too if they need it. I'll also check the alignments while I'm at it.

Any of you guys use aftermarket mercruiser parts such as GLM or Sierra? Definitely a big price difference, wondering how much a guy is paying for the name on the box. The reviews I've read online just say some of the Sierra bellows are harder to install, didn't see anything about premature failure on any of these parts though.

Not really looking forward to doing this but the bellows will be good peace of mind and hopefully this tightens up the controls a bit.

I've never done them. My brother did his.

He used Merc stuff for his. I think he liked their stuff better and he was a boat builder at one point in time.

I know it's not a fun job.

• Like 1

The gimbal bearings aren't to bad. Do you have the alignment tool or are you going to eyeball it?

I ordered the kit from this place. They have a lot of cool stuff like flywheel pullers for bikes etc. Looks like it's decent stuff for a decent price and made it America with American steel.

Should have got an alignment bar and checked it when I had the drives of last year but didn't get too it.

http://www.heartlandproducts.net/gimbal-bearing-puller-installer-and-two-piece-alignment-tool-set/

Anyone have a preference of tube or bellow for the exhaust? I raise my drives a fair bit for going stern in at the beach, I wonder if one would be better than the other or if it really makes no difference other than a bit of extra sound with drives trimmed a bit.

Thanks Dave. I plan to do the bellows every 2nd year for peace of mind, I think I was on borrowed time with this stuff last season.

This seems to be a complete kit including U joints for a decent price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222321430018?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I emailed the guy and he pointed me to Heartland for the puller kit and offered up some other useful information. If the he sells teleflex cables I'll order everything from him.

Uhg.... I'm sure all the bellows and bearings on the Trophy are factory...

Uhg.... I'm sure all the bellows and bearings on the Trophy are factory...

What drive is it?

I'll loan you all the tools if you want once I'm done with them.

Bravo Dave...Braaavooo (see what I did there :right:)

This puller and alignment bar should work for that unit as well.

LOL! Thats the one.... :)

Mike if your good at this I'll let you do a Bravo X Drive... LOL

I had to change the bellows on my Mercruiser outdrive a long will back. That was NOT a good time.

Mike if your good at this I'll let you do a Bravo X Drive... LOL

I have a feeling this is one of those things no one wants to be "good at". I'm buying any tools I can that are supposed to make it easier though.

I have a feeling this is one of those things no one wants to be "good at". I'm buying any tools I can that are supposed to make it easier though.

Glad to know you are the "go to" guy on this!

Hoss with the dream outboard... :lol:

Ordered all my parts today, for what I'll have into parts and tools I hope things are shifting smooth and continue to be leak free! The control cable on one motor has too much play and doesn't like to come out of gear unless I swing it past the center detent. Works fine for me but when I have the wife or my 9yr old at the helm it turns into some close calls. "PUT IT IN NEUTRAL!"..."IT IS IN NEUTRAL!!"..."WE"RE STILL BACKING INTO THE BEACH!!!" as I'm on the bow trying to hold us back with the anchor.

Word is the GLM and Sierra stuff is fine but stay away from the SEI (Sterndrive Engineering) stuff, their bellows and water pumps are apparently junk. Would be nice to be able to support my local marina and buy this stuff there but good lord, it'd cost me more than double what I'm paying else ware.

Edited by Woodenhead
  • Like 1

Guess it would be more Eh

Lol double typed , must have been in the middle of something or a thought lol