BOMBER Board
TLRMAN

2001 Jetta TDI .. I am back in a diesel.

I have a small list of things I am working on fixing. I picked up the car about 1-1/2 months ago. It runs just okay but has a weird idle when cold and when I am coming to a stop light. Acts like a bad injector or air in system. I do see some air in the fuel line when its idling in the clear supply line. Don't think thats normal. I want to get this sorted out soon. Below is a short list of things not working or issues with the car.

1) A/C pump will not come on. A/C light comes on but no pump or engine fan. System appears to be full.

2) Cruise control. Nothing at all not even the light on the dash and just appears dead.

3) Weird idle almost like the governor is kicking in up and down when cold. A slight knock when cold/warm and when hot the knock goes away. Car has plenty of power.

4) Engine light comes on. It used to come on right away and the code said glow plugs. I replaced the glow plugs with new Bosch and now it takes about 30 seconds and the light comes on. It starts a little bit better.

5) The engine will crank over in gear with no foot on clutch. Like the clutch switch is bad also.

Car has 300K on it with a about 60K on engine, trans and clutch. Love the mpg.

Any advice?

Edited by TLRMAN

Glow plug relay needs to have a jumper soldered to it. Its very common for the alh to throw the glow plug code. I'll dig up the picture (Ben posted it here a while back)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Glow plug relay needs to have a jumper soldered to it. Its very common for the alh to throw the glow plug code. I'll dig up the picture (Ben posted it here a while back)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yep mine does the same thing I have yet to fix it. just lazy I guess..

Hi Lance!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Hello Mark... Turns out I like the car better then the small P/U ... I HAD...lol

Edited by TLRMAN

I can't copy and paste so I can't refer to your list directly.

1- Possibly your pressure switch is bad. I would unplug the wire from the pressure switch and jump it. If the compressor comes on then that is most likely the issue if the system is full. Requires draining the system to replace.

2- Cruise control sounds like a fuse to me...

3 - The weird idle is a fuel quantity injection issue. There are two ways to fix it. The most common is what is referred to as a "Hammer Mod". You will need a VAGCOm to do either mod correctly.

4 - Yep, jumper wire inside the glow plug relay. Did one a week ago for a friend. The relay is located under the knee bolster on the drivers side.

5 - Probably the clutch safety switch.

If you need assistance let me know.

• Like 1

Welcome to the TDI's Lance.

When you get it all straightened out, the term you will want to search is called Malone Tuning.

Remember that first power bump? Malone is that for VW.

Lance, I can get the cable and have the software in my laptop for vagcom. Another possibility and certainly something I always do is check and clean the ASV valve bolted onto the end of the intake. They get gummed up.

Your intake *should* be clean with only 60K, but hey, I take nothing for granted. Take a peek down there when checking the ASV.

• Like 1

welcome back to Diesel Lance , now maybe we'll see you more :) a good thing IMHO

• Like 1

I may have a VAGCOM Cable for sale in the near future...

Congratulations Lance!

• Like 1

Hello Mark... Turns out I like the car better then the small P/U ... I HAD...lol

I am not surprised. With very little work these things can be high MPG well handling rockets!

Lance, I can get the cable and have the software in my laptop for vagcom. Another possibility and certainly something I always do is check and clean the ASV valve bolted onto the end of the intake. They get gummed up.

Your intake *should* be clean with only 60K, but hey, I take nothing for granted. Take a peek down there when checking the ASV.

Its funny when I first got the car I didnt notice the idle/hammer but I ran some cleaner through the tank and it slowly started to act up. I can come down and visit soon and will get a cable later but really need to watch what needs to be done.

I may have a VAGCOM Cable for sale in the near future...

Congratulations Lance![/quote

Pm me if and when I have two Vw's may be handy]

• Like 1

Kelly

I checked the ASV and it is nice and clean. My daughter has just started driving it and loves it. If you have the cable what is a good time to come see you? You can text me if you want 206-819-5684.

Lance

Same boat will be doing a lot of travel soon. If Sunday works please call me I can come down early AM. Also want to see about getting the pesky engine light out for the glow plug issue.

Not an option in Seattle... Must get emissions paperwork to pass before tabs.

you can get used to the light, the wife's been on since 2005

They've got something wrong in the paperwork if they are requiring an emissions test. Weight is too high? Marked as gas powered? Not marked as pass car? They were trying to require an emissions paper when I titled one of my TDI's but when we looked closer she was putting it in as gas. Changed that to diesel and the emissions requirement went away just like my other one. It has been nice! 6000lb and under diesel pass car is exempt. At least that is here w/ Maple Valley address. Seattle proper might be different?

• Like 1

Lance, I just used Deoxit on my glow plug connections. I reset the light, it set a code again, I reset it. Restarted it 3 times with no codes I will start it in the morning and see. Deoxit may fix your glow plug codes too.

I also realized I don't have the triangular security socket to do the hammer mod. Some people will do it just loosening the 3, but I had the socket loaned from Kerma when I installed my injectors.

The socket is available at Bora in Portland. I can order it tomorrow if need be.

They've got something wrong in the paperwork if they are requiring an emissions test. Weight is too high? Marked as gas powered? Not marked as pass car? They were trying to require an emissions paper when I titled one of my TDI's but when we looked closer she was putting it in as gas. Changed that to diesel and the emissions requirement went away just like my other one. It has been nice! 6000lb and under diesel pass car is exempt. At least that is here w/ Maple Valley address. Seattle proper might be different?

It shouldn't be.

http://www.emissiontestwa.com/E/faq.aspx#3b

5 starts later I got one of the glow plug codes again, but at least it is just one, and the same one. Before I would get 3 of them.

FYI, I have a scangauge mounted to the column that clears codes in about two button pushes.

I have modified the relay on two cars now and it keeps the CEL away. I tried a new harness in my car, new plugs and deoxit and nothing was working. Soldered in the jumper and problem solved.

So this mod makes your Jetta into a TOW car?? :lol: