A little insulating today.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,365 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

The front third of my bed is over the pass through compartment on the front of my trailer. The thin wall between my bedroom and the compartment was not insulated nor was the top of the compartment. So I filled in between the aluminum studs with 1.5" solid foam insulation, and between the studs of the top of the compartment. I then put 2" solid foam insulation over the face of it. So in all I have 3.5" of solid foam insulation keeping the cold of the pass through compartment from permeating into my bedroom. I hope this keeps the front of my mattress warmer in this very cold weather.

#2 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 22,827 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

post the results after the "test"

#3 jcasper

jcasper

I want to go FAST!!!!

• Members
  • 9,729 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Cars, Family

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

That should help

#4 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,365 posts
  • Interests:Money makes the world go around, but it can't buy you happiness. I could use a little happiness.

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

The cold walls are already starting to get closer to room temp.

#5 Packards42

Packards42

Retirement looking pretty easy, just setting prioities.

• Members
  • 17,881 posts
  • Interests:Retirement, antique cars, and trucks.

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

cool/  We heating my barn apartment with one 1500 watt heater. and holding 40-44 degrees, with extra 3 inch of foam I add to the roof and the exterior walls.  It made a huge difference.

#6 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

Now if I can just figure out a way to insulate the floor of my slide out.

#7 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:40 AM

I also have a void area that is between the front fiberglass cap and the front wall of my bedroom. It is a large empty area that needs to be insulated. Now someone of you would just say pull the front wall down and fill it with insulation. I have thought about that route but I don't want to pull out all of my cabinetry. My other option is to cut a 6" hole in the rear of one of my cabinets and blow in some insulation. Option 3 would be to cut a small round hole in the top of my front fiberglass cap and pour in some expanding foam. Option 3 would be the easiest and probably the most expensive. Option 2 is a little more work but probably the cheapest route. Option 1 would give me the best possible outcome being able to control the application of the insulation from beginning to end. I guess I need to figure out the volume of the space that needs to be filled before I start tearing this apart.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

#8 C Paul Go

C Paul Go

How many colors is that?

• Moderators
  • 17,305 posts
  • Location:Moses Lake/ Snohomish Washington or In Front of you!
  • Interests:Too Many to list...

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

Is it only an issue in these few weeks of really cold?   Cause Option 4 is to live with it.

#9 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

Is it only an issue in these few weeks of really cold?   Cause Option 4 is to live with it.

Option four includes pancakes and syrup.

#10 Shady

Shady
  • Contributor
  • 3,178 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to/Retiring in Mexico, Aircraft, Sea Kayaking, Hiking

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

Pancakes and syrup is ALWAYS option ONE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#11 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

All options are pancakes and syrup!!!!!

#12 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

Living with it is not an option, my sleep is too valuable to me. Last winter didn't last long enough to bother me too much. This winter is another story. Too cold for too long makes Robert a cranky grump. I know I should have taken care of it last summer but I was still getting over my last surgery. This summer it will be fully skirted.

#13 Scotty_

Scotty_
  • Contributor
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

I think blowing it in from the inside on the cap would be best.
When does lumpy get dissected?
Did they suspect the growth is a ganglion cyst?

Edited by Scotty_, 15 January 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#14 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

Feb 24th they think it's a soft tissue lypoma, not sure of the spelling. They say when they get this big they can turn cancerous so it's best to get it out.

I kind of like the idea of blowing it in myself.

#15 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

I've got one of those under my arm. Doc said it's a fatty lipoma, rarely ever cancer. I guess I'm running out of places to store it. With my families history I'm going back to tell him I want it out.

Good luck to you on knife day Robert. You should be a pro at this stuff by now lol.

#16 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

I'm looking forward to the nap!

#17 yogi_160

yogi_160

old school

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Interests:camping and anything in great outdoors

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

I also have a void area that is between the front fiberglass cap and the front wall of my bedroom. It is a large empty area that needs to be insulated. Now someone of you would just say pull the front wall down and fill it with insulation. I have thought about that route but I don't want to pull out all of my cabinetry. My other option is to cut a 6" hole in the rear of one of my cabinets and blow in some insulation. Option 3 would be to cut a small round hole in the top of my front fiberglass cap and pour in some expanding foam. Option 3 would be the easiest and probably the most expensive. Option 2 is a little more work but probably the cheapest route. Option 1 would give me the best possible outcome being able to control the application of the insulation from beginning to end. I guess I need to figure out the volume of the space that needs to be filled before I start tearing this apart.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Make hole in cabinets where it's hidden fill with shipping peanuts probably find for free on Craigslist no moisture problem no settling. For the slide just stack sheet of foam under the floor use the arms to support maybe sheet of plywood on bottom will have to remove when slide needs to come in other option is raise the floor both suck but only way. Last is custom built insulting blanket similar to concrete blanket. Slides suck not many options

#18 skyking

skyking
  • Administrators
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

I like Yogi's option. Peanuts FTW! I know how those cold front walls suck.

#19 livingez_123

livingez_123

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

• Contributor
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

I was actually thinking the same thing with it being a possible place for moisture intrusion With 5 running lights across the top of the front cap. I will do some pricing this week and decide on a course of action.

#20 yogi_160

yogi_160

old school

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Interests:camping and anything in great outdoors

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

I was thinking about the sweat factor rvs are prone to more than leaks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users