BOMBER Board
skyking

clutch is done :)

Glad I could help Kelly. Was your commute home OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

started out really nasty, but got much better south of Everett. I really enjoyed just matting the throttle at 2000 and not worrying about slippage. The old clutch was in good shape, it simply could not hold the torque.

Nice work fellas. 425ft-lbs...dang that'd be a trip.

I'd need head studs, a different turbo, and some big nozzles, and an 11MM pump head to get near that. And Nitrous, oh yes.

• Like 1

Lisa's Stg 2 endurance will be here this week.

Never put a front wheel drive clutch in..... Should be interesting.

I tell you the path to in and out on that thing is far from a straight line. The right axle flange is behind the flywheel and the block skirt. It has to be rolled and twisted in. Ben can fill in the details, but the engine beam is a must. We end up hanging the transmission off that beam with a chain on the second pick point while the car is down, then hoisting it up and wiggling it into place. A transmission jack would just get in your way.

Pulling the flange is not a hot idea either. It has a ton of spring pressure to overcome to get the nut back on, need a new seal, etc.

• Like 1

I tell you the path to in and out on that thing is far from a straight line. The right axle flange is behind the flywheel and the block skirt. It has to be rolled and twisted in. Ben can fill in the details, but the engine beam is a must. We end up hanging the transmission off that beam with a chain on the second pick point while the car is down, then hoisting it up and wiggling it into place. A transmission jack would just get in your way.

Pulling the flange is not a hot idea either. It has a ton of spring pressure to overcome to get the nut back on, need a new seal, etc.

That is pretty much it. I don't think it is too bad.... Oh, you will also need a 9mm 12 point socket for the pressure plate. I know now what Hoss is getting for Christmas! LOL!
  • Like 1

people complain about Japanese cars, but they did have it down. 10,12,14, sometimes 15, 17,19,21. You could fix most everything with a 10,12,14.

Only the Germans would add in every other freakin' wrench size. :D

• Like 2

people complain about Japanese cars, but they did have it down. 10,12,14, sometimes 15, 17,19,21. You could fix most everything with a 10,12,14.

Cummins is famous for odd sizes also.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Don't forget about the triple square tools. It was an adventure doing the flywheel on my 06 Jetta last year.

So how long does it take for Ben to do this job?

Which one is harder the Bug or the Jetta. 152,000 these questions matter to me. LOL

So how long does it take for Ben to do this job?

Which one is harder the Bug or the Jetta. 152,000 these questions matter to me. LOL

It looked to me like the Jetta was easier than it would be to do the beetle. I was just a part time observer on the Beetle. Ben and I were talking about the length of time to do a Jetta clutch and have only done one I took my time and made sure it was right. He and I agreed that one guy even with a lift would be hard pressed to get one done in a 8 hour day. My first comment to that was "unless your Mark Smith" the battery box on the beetle looked like a nightmare. A transmission jack is really no help and a second one set of hands to install it is almost a must. Using the beam to support the transmission is a great idea that I wish I had thought of. I would much rather do my dodge clutch by myself than my Jetta for real.

Just pick it up and throw it in there. Can't be that heavy.....

What brand engine beam? Not paying snap on price for something I'll use twice.

The going rate for a Beetle clutch was 2 pieces of pizza, 5 gallons of coffee and 2 cokes. B)

Don't forget to use the online 20% off coupon and get a free flashlight too. I have about a dozen of them now. :)

The hooning has been non-stop since the clutch went in. I need to cut out the caffeine.

Seriously, it is nice to not have to worry when the clutch was no longer going to get me back home.