DBCooper

05 LLY Head Gasket Shop?

Guys my son bought an 05 LLY earlier this year- nice truck with crew cab, short bed 4x4. He is interested in finding out if there is a local shop that anyone on the board would recommend for head gaskets and a rough guesstimate of cost. His runs and drives fine, doesn't need gaskets now but he'd like to be prepared. Thanks for any information.

Dan

From what we know, it's hit and miss in the LLY only. Post LLY use a different gasket. Some trucks have gone hundreds of thousands of miles without issue. Others have blown fairly early.

From what we know, it's hit and miss in the LLY only. Post LLY use a different gasket. Some trucks have gone hundreds of thousands of miles without issue. Others have blown fairly early.

Hmmmmm kinda sounds like a 6.0

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Mike at Diesel Outfitters is who I'd call.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, guys. I've dealt with Diesel Outfitters- great bunch of guys. Mark, we'll keep you in mind if/when he gets to the point. It's all conjecture as to if he's going to have problems, but it seems they go around 200K or so.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what a head gasket job should cost?

I think it cost my neighbors kid $5k at a local shop here. I'll ask him for the details.

Here's what he said.

Just shy of 5k that's will oil change and fuel filters the works and it also included re surfacing of the stock heads of there good.

Edited by Woodenhead

Typically between 3500 and 3800. More if it takes longer to pull the cab.

book time is about 32hours. most local diesel shops are around $110/hr

a couple hundred for gaskets etc, more if doing studs.... etc...

i knock out a couple head gasket jobs a month....

'Simple' and Duramax head gaskets don't work together.

The duramax has the most stuff to take off before the heads can actually come off.

6.0 Fords are easier, but have more crap to throw at them while they are apart.

As for cracks, I haven't seen a cracked duramax head. The machine shop should check them before machining them (mine always does)

Injectors can wait... Unless you are having issues. They are external, so not a huge labor cost like the lb7.

As far as coolant, I use final charge global coolant or dexcool. Distilled water to mix

I should rephrase.

I personally haven't seen it. I've heard of a few, but I wouldn't say it's common.

• Like 1

Good info, guys. Mark, Post Falls is a pretty easy drive for us. I don't know what my son's timeframe is, but we'll definitely keep you in mind if you want the business.

Glad to have it. Let me know when/if you do, and we'll schedule it.