BOMBER Board
Woodenhead

Fire pit grill

My boys and I spend most weekend evenings hanging around a fire, when there's no burn ban. Roasting hot dogs is starting to get a bit old and now that I have an abundance of fruit wood I think it's time to build a grill for the pit and up our cooking game.

Today I picked up a bunch of expanded steel and angle iron. The pit (see below) is about 3' diameter with holes around the outside. The plan is to build a 2' square grill and use the holes for a post that I can move around, swing the grill over the fire and adjust the height.

I've never really cooked over an open fire so if there are any words of wisdom I'd love to hear them. Otherwise hide and watch LOL.

CB4DC6B6-28F2-403C-B505-DE557210C6C8.jpg

Only thing I have real experience cooking over a fire is Oysters in the shell and Coffee. At our campsite we have a 6 foot metal ring that has about a foot above ground level for the fire pit with a piece of tubing welded to it, the grading is attached to a separate piece of tubing we can slide in and swing over the fire. It works perfect for Oysters and keeps the mess off the BBQ. Curious to see how your open fire pit cooking works out. :hungry:

• Like 1

I sure wished I save some large flanges, looks great.

I have an old wood heater we think of using on the patio.

A swing over flat steel grill would be awesome. Wouldn't height adjustment be difficult if it's fairly heavy?

You could do one massive 2' diameter pancake.

There

My job is done here.

A swing over flat steel grill would be awesome. Wouldn't height adjustment be difficult if it's fairly heavy?

You could do one massive 2' diameter pancake.

There

My job is done here.

Took ya long enough.

Or I could boil down a can of syrup, pour it on the snow and make some maple toffee.

Mike you could make a round one the same size as your pit and mount it to a pole on the edge of the pit and have it swing out away from the fire to get whatever you are cooking off. I am going to build one for my fire pit out of metal fence post. It will be a octagon and have expanded metal as a cooking surface. I plan to make mine with a sliding lock of some sort so I can raise and lower it depending on the size of the fire. I will try to find a picture of what I am planning.

This is a very basic picture of what I am thinking about doing

c9554cff10286f727cf749519b7740c1.jpg

That's something like what I had in mind Hoss. The reason I'm making it square is just so it's easier to build. I like your octogan idea though. I'll make sort of a sliding clamp for the post to make it easier to adjust the height. Making it rigid enough to be cantilevered off the post will take some figuring.

My buddy blasted a deer this week, he's pushing me to get it done so we can cook venison steaks over the fire. I'm good with that :D.

• Like 1

That's the kind of rack in our out door fire place. On a pole and swings out.

The cover does seem like a great idea, I wonder if a bbq thermometer would hold up to the heat if it was installed in the cover. Sure would be handy to know how hot it us under the lid.

rigid heavy duty one for sure ... the heat will warp if not

how large are the holes on that flange ??

Mike I found a calculator online that figured out exactly how long each leg of the octagon needed to be for a specific diameter but I am sure you can figure that out my math skills suck.

Heck you could use a lid from a Webber BBQ easy enough. My plan it to take a old metal fence post and make the frame with the tabs facing up and the expanded metal will index into them.

if you find an old drill press that make a great adjustable height gear.

if you find an old drill press that make a great adjustable height gear.

That's an awesome idea, it'd swing and crank up and down. I'll keep an eye out.

Mike I found a calculator online that figured out exactly how long each leg of the octagon needed to be for a specific diameter but I am sure you can figure that out my math skills suck.

Heck you could use a lid from a Webber BBQ easy enough. My plan it to take a old metal fence post and make the frame with the tabs facing up and the expanded metal will index into them.

The T post idea is a good one, I have a bunch of those laying around but I think it'd be pretty difficult to get those tabs to line up with the holes in the grill.

For the lid, I just looked out the window and saw this.

F64C3470-21B6-44DE-BD8C-E6BC765782E9.jpg

I paid $15 for this POS charcoal BBQ a few years ago, I think it's gonna lose some parts :D.

I really just need something light to set over the food, especially when cold outside. Plus it already has a thermometer.

What's all the wet stuff over there? Do you have a sprinkler running?

Ha ha. It's monsoon season, 0.05" today, I think it's just about done. We're always happy to wake up to rain though.

I love it when a plan comes together. I ended up notching a 10' piece of angle and bending it into an octagon, way easier than trying to scab a bunch of pieces together. I TIG welded everything, the wire feed would have been handier for some stuff but apparently it's out of gas, not sure how that happened, the bottle was off.

Now I just need a piece of 1" bar stock for the post and I'm all set. This didn't take as long as I thought it would which doesn't happen too often.

62E650EE-21F0-404B-9166-BA5E6E5B759E.jpg

3DD4262C-2C5A-4429-A356-624E0A9FF6FA.jpg

Test fit.

6C9C7F7D-AD08-4E84-B9CC-6FE35A1C85D1.jpg

332F93A9-569B-4818-B8AD-D674FA4B7AA8.jpg

Yikes Mike. That is amazing. I am Very impressed with your fabrication skills!!

• Like 1