Woodenhead

Another "what's it worth?" thread

I had a guy wanting to buy my truck the other day but I laughed it off and he fell short of offering any real $$. This did get me thinking though, I really have no idea what where I stand with this thing. So I ask you, if I was to sell it in today's screwed up truck market what should I expect to look for?

'98 3500 4x4 12V QC Laramie SLT, NV5600, DD3250 clutch, DDP4 injectors, PDR HX40/HT3B, orings, studs and fancy $1800 aluminum bumper and a bunch of other stuff you would expect. 245k miles.

Body has some dings and scratches, maybe a 7.

Interior about 7-8, worn seat but no cracked dash etc.

I can't see myself selling it as I've got to much sentimental worth in it and it's hard to put a price on that! On the other hand a bigger back seat would be nice. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings.

Edited by Woodenhead

It always comes down to finding someone, WITH MONEY, that wants your truck. As you know I am trying to price a 94 right now. There are so many 24 valves out there for sale, most of them have been ran HARD. But that is what your selling against. seen some 2001 vintage under $8000. I would REALLY hope the a stock 98 12 valve lariat manual quad cab would bring $10,000. As you know the extras are hard to get your money back on, unless you find someone who wants them and willing to pay extra for them. My GUESS is $15,000, but I could be way off.

To me, if I was spending money on a Dodge/Cummins, I wouldn't consider a second gen at all. The brakes, steering, ride, true 4 doors, and interior on the 3rd and 4th gens are so much better. I think a lot of people are the same. 3rd gens seem to hold value well, especially the manual trans.

So I think the market is small for the second gen, and even smaller for 12 valve trucks. I see a lot of people looking a Diesel for under $10,000, then willing to spend 20,000 to 30,000 for a nicer 3rd gen, so there is a lot of competition at 10 to 20k. Best thing to do is put it up for sale at a price you would be happy with and see what happens. It only takes one person with money to want it.

The other thing its probably going to take a cash buyer. Getting a loan an a 18 year old truck is not easy, add in over 200,000mi, not many places will loan on it.

My wife always gets asked while taking her 12Valve out. Would you be interested in selling it? She always says no. Never hear a serious offer.

• Like 1

You have what I consider to be the Holy Grail of trucks. Sure a common rail would be cool but for a truck that will eat anything you feed it, you can practically rebuild it with a crescent wrench, the only "special tools" required is a 3/4 end wrench and a chunk of pipe that will reach the primer bulb. No excessive electronics to worry about. Being a 98 it has a nice cab and interior. I want your truck!!! My camper would love a dually to sit on.

• Like 1

That's some good input Bob, thank you.

Thanks Hoss, I feel exactly the same way about this truck. That's slowly changing as I continue to feed my boys though lol.

Edited by Woodenhead

I've seen your rig... I'd say somewhere between 15-20.... Idk where you feel comfortable letting it go either.....

I've been looking at the new ones myself these days, warranty and all, just tired of fixing stuff every weekend!!

• Like 2

Not a penny less than 15K. Or strip it down than sell it.

Thanks fellas, that helps get a feel for where I'm at if the time comes. If I did dump it, it'd be for a mega cab dually although I'd be needing a long bed so...?

I think there was a dealer over in Idaho that had a 07ish 5.9 6sp mega cab longbed conversion laramie in bright blue!!!!

Don't quote me on all the options though...

I think there was a dealer over in Idaho that had a 07ish 5.9 6sp mega cab longbed conversion laramie in bright blue!!!!

Don't quote me on all the options though...

Yeah thanks Travis but I'm not quite ready for that yet, sounds like a good truck for hauling wood though :P

Yes, I want a mega cab next truck too. Even consider a wrecked mega cab and have my frame length and extend the existing cab. those I like to do the extension and cab myself and test my body skills.

Your going to extend the CAB? :blink:

The bed I can see, but the cab? I can sleep in the back of my cab now...

Bringing this back to the top for some updated input.  Not much has changed with the truck, it's probably got 260,000 on it now.  I do feel like the 12V market has slipped as these newer trucks continue to prove themselves (and these continue to get older).  I'm at a bit of a cross roads here and welcome any current input on the value of this thing while I contemplate life.

I think the 12v market is hanging in there if the truck is in good shape.  Not as much as the 3rd gens, but still pretty good.   

Let's see the curb appeal...

The market has slipped for sure. My number back then will not be close to now.

• Like 1

While its not the same truck, I just sold a 2001 24v with the NV4500 and 213K miles for 13K. It was stock other than exhaust and an unknown old school tow tune on it. I didn't have a lot of interest in it at that price, the kid who bought it did so because it looked just like the truck his dad had when he was younger. I also had a couple people seriously low ball me and expect me to cut my price in half, because that's what KBB said the truck was worth. I usually just check Craigslist for similar trucks and price accordingly, which will be more difficult with the upgrades you've added.  

• Like 1