BOMBER Board
Torque Monkey

Installing an Southbend Stage 3 Endurance Clutch in my 99.5

The order went in yesterday. I also ordered a new rear main seal and all of the disposable fricken bolts. I got a few things to take care of before the install. Once those are complete the Jetta will go under the knife. I will take a bunch of pictures when I start. I am also kicking around the idea of changing the output shaft seals on the transmission. I will see what they look like when I get there.

Mine will be getting the stg 3 drag......

Found me an auto injection pump.

I have been thinking to just change the pump head to a 12mm one. Doesn't look to bad.

I would have had Peter do it but I didn't want t keep him from the fight. He was more entertaining than the fight was! :lol:

Do you have one of those engine support bars now that you have the lift? I've been looking at this one but I have no idea how much it would be used. It seems like it would be useful on a clutch job?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR47C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3OHPX4OZEEVDV&coliid=I3TA4XYY47604A

Do you have one of those engine support bars now that you have the lift? I've been looking at this one but I have no idea how much it would be used. It seems like it would be useful on a clutch job?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR47C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3OHPX4OZEEVDV&coliid=I3TA4XYY47604A

I did buy one. I bought it from Harbor Frieght because I knew this job was coming.

http://t.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

If you want to borrow it you are welcome to once I get this clutch installed.

It hasn't showed up yet... and I have a 7.3L Ford squatting in my shop at the moment. I need to serve an eviction notice on it first. :lol:

I could bring you another one...... 93 IDI...Just need to swap heads and injector pump.......

As long as it has a signed blank check sitting the front seat bring it down! ;)

Thanks for the offer Ben. I went with the Amazon one. I'm 6 days into a timing belt so loan it to me for a clutch and you could be out for a good couple months! :lol:

Do the seals usually leak by drying out? Or do they wear grooves into the drive flange? Are you going to upgrade to the bigger axles and flanges? You'd already have all of the parts removed to do it....... :wink::glare:

FedEx Guy was not a happy camper yesterday.

1e6c1f0ac0eef447d5209bdc2938eb58.jpg

I will probably start tear down tonight. I am still waiting on some other parts to show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at the picture just a few minutes ago thinking the same thing. :right:

FedEx Guy was not a happy camper yesterday.

1e6c1f0ac0eef447d5209bdc2938eb58.jpg

I will probably start tear down tonight. I am still waiting on some other parts to show up.

That whole thing weighs less than a Dodge pressure plate.

He still drove down my driveway and hiked it up my front steps to leave it on the porch. Had it been a Dodge clutch and pressure plate I would have expected to find it kicked out of the truck in the middle of the drive way and burnout marks all the way back to black top. LOL!

He still drove down my driveway and hiked it up my front steps to leave it on the porch. Had it been a Dodge clutch and pressure plate I would have expected to find it kicked out of the truck in the middle of the drive way and burnout marks all the way back to black top. LOL!

Your delivery guy needs more training. Mine drops truck and boat parts at the shop door, all else goes to the house :).

Looking forward to seeing your posts about this, I'm sure my clutch is looking for an excuse to pack it in and I'll be heading down this road one day as well.

Edited by Woodenhead

The mail lady already made me install a bigger mail box because she said I get too many packages. LOL!

If I can catch the delivery people I will tell them to leave everything at the shop. I may just put a box in front for them to place deliveries in.

When I ordered my underhood light the guy just threw it at the base of my mail box and drove off. He didn't even try to come down the driveway. LOL! The neighbor saw him do it and grabbed the box and brought it down to the house.

I started on it tonight but didn't work too long. I have most of the top done and one axle left to unbolt. Should have the transmission out tomorrow night. Looks like I will be doing the front brakes also. Not much of them left.

This is a beginning picture. I forgot to take a picture of what it looked like when I left the shop.

4fa09e5308c92c880e5376d64736fcfe.jpg

Transmission and clutch are out! Waiting on some parts from Idparts now.

8a19d9c53ce3430e80cae3e6e0322550.jpg

f37c67b31c9946cb8f6fb103e25f52ce.jpg

2e0c8e44bac1ccd3a13469d205e921e9.jpg

Isn't that fun!!!! :right: I mean NOT!