livingez_123

Transfer case sawp

I have been wanting to do this for some time now, convert from my AWD TC and go with a part-time unit. I picked up a manual shift TC out of an 04 Sierra. this will be a 100% bolt in. no change to either drive line, and a minimal amount of wiring for the front axle interlock. I will also need to change the front diff to a part-time unit, still a 100% bolt in no mods required, both use the same half shafts. I plan to use a cable shift for the new TC, it will be mounted under the front seat, that will be done another day as I dont see the need for 4x4 anytime soon. so pray for some much needed upper body strength. After working under my trailer for the last 2 days, my arms feel like spaghetti. This will be a solo job with little assistance accept for maybe a wrench gopher.

Edited by livingez_123

Well, my back had other ideas today, it said no no no noooooooo. When it speaks this loudly to me I must listen. Maybe tomorrow or another day in the week I will feel better and get it done. I really need to get it done as my front diff is really making bearing noise, if it locks up on me while I'm driving, all sorts of stuff is going to break. And I can't just drop the front drive line and drive without it, The AWD clutch in the TC would be toast in short order.

Well, the TC swap is all done, it took my boy and I about 90min to get it all done....then I went to put the rear drive line in and it's 1.5'' too long. I thought I took that into account. The front drive line fit perfect so I didn't think I would have any issues with the rear. oh well, even the best-made plans can go wrong. I found another drive line, but they were too far away to get it before they closed. So it sits until Monday.

Picked up the driveline today, went by Six States and they put in 2 new U-joint for me. I picked up a new rear seal while I was there and out the door for $57. They put the new Spicer joints that are lubed for life. The OEM joints on the shaft I picked up felt real good, but I figured while I had it out, I might as well put them in.

It drives real nice, quiet in the cab with no more front diff noise, and it's very quiet going into reverse and drive, no clunking like there was before. All in all, I'm happy.

Nice, sounds like a good deal!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

my hyway mileage isn't bad, my trip up to wapato I got 18. A few months ago I got 20 on my way home from up north. my around town mileage is what really drags down the avg. I see anywhere from 12-14 around town. my trip comp shows an avg of 13.6. all of my numbers are hand calculated. It has to have some impact on my mpg by cutting my rotational drag down by 50% If I could get my avg up to 15-16 I would consider that a win.

When we got our Tahoe the onboard computer said 16.5 average. I bet with the AWD being removed you should be real close to that, maybe even better, we have a lot of small hills and windy roads on our daily commute. I don't think my wife has hand calculated the mileage yet.

so why the back n forth Robert ?

I was looking for more mpg and when I seen that I wasn't going to get close to what I needed, the search for a new dd began. To be honest, I was looking for a new driver before I even did the swap.

Thinking seriously of selling my Denali, I just don't enjoy driving it anymore. With a complete new front suspension under it drives great but it's not as comfortable to drive as my Beetle. There were times I would just get in my Denali and go for a drive, now it's the Beetle getting those trips. I could use the money for a new shed or put an awning over my entire trailer, idk.