Bob V

head studs W/O gaskets

The new 06 f350 has 197,000 miles and all stock. I am wondering if there is any advantage to doing a one at a time stud replace. Searching on line is about 50/50 yes/no. I do think I will do an EGR delete at some point in the future. the oil cooler, egr cooler and valve have less that 35,000 miles on them. No issues right now but if it helps the head gaskets last another 10,000 miles to me it would be worth it. I don't plan on removing the cab. I will either remove the motor/trans mounts or lift the cab about 6"-10". What are your thoughts?

There isn't enough clamping force to hold the gasket tight IMHO. The 4 bolts per cylinder is a huge mistake on Ford's part.

Also, if you are down far enough to drop them in 1 at a time, spend the extra 2 hours and 400 bucks to replace the gaskets.

Passenger side hvac box will need to come out of the way to do them in cab (1 at a time or all at once)

run it till the head gaskets start to leak, then pull the motor and do the head gaskets and studs, i have done that job with the engine in but i will not do it again.

• Like 1

There isn't enough clamping force to hold the gasket tight IMHO. The 4 bolts per cylinder is a huge mistake on Ford's part.

Also, if you are down far enough to drop them in 1 at a time, spend the extra 2 hours and 400 bucks to replace the gaskets.

Passenger side hvac box will need to come out of the way to do them in cab (1 at a time or all at once)

it was really interationals fault on this engine

I have an idea on how to lift the cab, so I will prob do that. Will also prob wa it till there is a problem. I want to put a programmer on it and delete the egr.just worried that might speed up the head gasket demise. Wich brings up another question, what programmers will keep the cel off with egr deleted?

The SCT programs I have from Inovative Diesel have not set any lights but I left the wires hooked to the valve so it is probably happy anyway. Do the delete but the valve can stay.

If you can make it last long enough for me to get the lift in the shop I can help do this. I have done it quite a few times. I would highly recommend against not changing the heads gaskets. Actually you WILL end up changing the gaskets. The problem is you will be doing all of the work twice if you wait...

All current SCT devices will turn off the EGR light. (x4 and livewire)

The SCT programs I have from Inovative Diesel have not set any lights but I left the wires hooked to the valve so it is probably happy anyway. Do the delete but the valve can stay.

Do you have to go with the SCT pyro probe for the Livewire?? $200 seems a little high to me

I have the x4 so don't know about the live wire. I have Auto meter gauges so did not need live wire.