BOMBER Board
skyking

Need suggestions turning up a VE bus engine

A friend has a converted bus with a rebuilt VE engine. I don't have all the particulars on engine number, etc.

He wants a little more power and better mileage. I think the mileage part will be hard to get, pushing a bus shape through the air but it was mentioned.

He is in Northwestern Montana, but would bring it this way if needed. he has other business in the area.

Like Dave said new Lenny injectors a fuel pin and pump tune. Make sure the intake and exhaust are not restrictive.

fureling pin is an easy modification. spring for 3000 rpm.

what year is this engine? Is it normal install facing front? What kind of drivetrain? How much does it weigh? How many miles on the clock?

1990, front facing, allison 4 speed auto, 1500 miles on fresh engine and trans overhaul.

30' long bluebird with flat front, doghouse inside for engine access. 19840 pounds.

gov spring so he can get to the shift points with out defueling, add some timing, make sure injector opening pressures are corect, or even on the high side.

A bluebird bus sound like a fun project. Assume in 6BT not a 4BT.

used as a motor home or camp rig ?

would be a fun conversion if done well.

years ago a fellow racer had one converted to haul his race car [then I was into Super Modified's] .. he would have to remove the wing and put on skinny tires but he had the rear full opening on a hinge system and ramps .. the whole front was "living quarters" and in his case was very rudimentary type living quarters but could have been nice had he spent the time.

Edited by GTroyer

OK, I would start with stage 1 or 2 injectors with correct pop pressures, a 3200 gov spring, a fuel pin, and timing advance. Now you should consider a better turbo. For that rig I would lean towards an hx35, or equivalent, with either a 14 or 16cm housing. A 16 will run cooler. a 4" exhaust system. I am assuming it had an intercooler? 1990 dodges did not. If it does not, then limit the injectors to stage 1's. A more efficient intake system is in order too.

Something else to think about. What kind of condition is the radiator in? And, once you turn up the power you may need a better trans cooler.

Gauges are a given, because that thing weighs almost 20,000 pounds and that motor is going to be working all the time

Thanks Dave. It JUST got a new radiator too, so that is good. I doubt it has an intercooler but I will find out in the next couple of days.