Ol Blue

"Y" to "T" Steering 2nd Gen

Managed to spoil Ol Blue a little this weekend. Back in June I ordered the Mopar heavy duty steering. It converts the "Y" steering where toe-in changes with terrain, to the "T" steering with solid tie rod. I had compared just installing Luke's Links, installing Moog replacement parts, and finally this conversion. I had been wanting to do this and since everything needed to be replaced (OK, I wanted to replace everything for peace of mind), I decided to go for it. The unit came complete (less nuts) for about $380 direct from Mopar. It's about $100 more than replacing all the "Y" parts.

Here's the part number:

PartNumber_zps424ab4d2.jpg

Here's the original "Y" and the new "T" drag links and tie rod laying side by side.

SidebySide_zpsf69f7d3a.jpg

Edited by Ol Blue

Gary asked about clearance. Here's the stock differential cover clearance. With the wheels straight, 2" from the front of the cover to the tie rod. From the face of the differential housing where the cover bolts on, there's just a touch over 5" clearance. With the wheels at lock to the right, there's still 1-3/4" clear from the factory cover - 4-3/4" clear from the face of the differential housing. This is with a 2" leveling kit.

Clearance_zps2b04dd18.jpg

Everything except the steering damper was a perfect fit. The bolt for the steering damper is smaller so I had to make a sleeve. The "T" tie rod sits further forward than the "Y" so there is a bit of an angle from the housing to the tie rod that the damper has to negotiate. I'll probably add a longer bolt sometime down the road. Setting toe-in was the usual 2 degrees at 1/4" toe in. I'll take it in sometime to have it checked. I go slow, take my time, and try to do as good a job as possible. I spent about 4 hours on it.

I didn't have any grease zerks and it doesn't come with any installed. That will be for another day.

I did that upgrade to my 04.5 about 4 years ago. Tomorrow my truck goes to the dealer to get it all replaced again under a recall. It seems that the upgraded parts were recalled.

• Like 1

Hi Joe.

I had read about that. It seems as though that was resolved around revision "J" (or close). This one is "L". I hope there are no remaining issues. I was confident enough to Get R Done.

Sounds about right. I have no idea why it's recalled but I do know my tie rods are shot at about 45,000 miles of use.

I did the same thing on Babe a couple years ago and love the improvement!

I would like to do it also, but would need to remove the Mag Hytec cover it looks like , don't know if I have a stocker anymore with all the moves, it might have been eliminated as excess saving stuff [you all know that pile in the corner that has about 4' of dust and keeps getting stuff added just in case a friend need something down the road LOL

I would like to do it also, but would need to remove the Mag Hytec cover it looks like , don't know if I have a stocker anymore with all the moves, it might have been eliminated as excess saving stuff [you all know that pile in the corner that has about 4' of dust and keeps getting stuff added just in case a friend need something down the road LOL

This isn't exactly true.... I have this steering on my 04 and I have a Mag-Hytec cover. It did require making a new bracket for the steering stabalizer. If I get a chance I will post up a pic later. Not really a big deal to do. If you want to do this upgrade let me know, I will make the bracket and send it to you with all the hardware needed, for freezzzzz!

Is this the kit that uses the 04 and up parts on the older trucks?

Pretty much the same components. I know on the 3rd gens the pitman arm is changed on the steering box as well.

so is the bracket done yet LOL

I need to change out all my sheet do to wear so this would be the time to do this Eh

so is the bracket done yet LOL

I need to change out all my sheet do to wear so this would be the time to do this Eh

Let me get all the stuff together to make it. It is just a piece of plate and a couple U-bolts. Nothing spectacular.

Is this the kit that uses the 04 and up parts on the older trucks?

Yes.

Since there was multiple discussions about taper and the nuts, I should also have added, that the nuts removed from the "Y" tapered ball joints are the correct for the "T" joints. The taper was also the same on the 02.

I just dropped my truck off at the stealer for the new parts. Hopefully the tight tie rods make it drive better.

Mark and Ben,

What did you do about the steering stabilizer bolt being smaller in diameter?

The one I have did not have a hole for the stabilizer I had to go with one that clamps on.