Dylan

02 diesel?

I'm a cummins guy so I have no clue on Chevys but my dad's looking at a 02 now was 01 or 02 the first year of the dmax? And did it have the Allison? The truck had 116,000 on it. Just wondering what the negatives might be with it and they are asking 15k for it. Thanks guys

2001 was the first year and yes it has the allison behind it. Injectors would be something to look at but not sure what else. Never really followed the duramax even tho my mom has an 02 with 76K on it.

They have 5spd Allison. Injectors are expensive labor to install, but not too bad parts cost.

Have a shop pull balance rates of the injectors before you buy it. It's not guaranteed, but it gives a pretty good idea of condition. 4 to -4 are the ranges of 'good'

Some had a 6speed manual like our shop truck... The LB7 is easy to work on ... Injectors and high pressure tubes are an issue ... Along with the injector cups pulling out with injector... I have herd Manny times that do them once and all is typically all better ... But I know they arnt real fun from the people that I know that have done them ...

They have 5spd Allison. Injectors are expensive labor to install, but not too bad parts cost.

Have a shop pull balance rates of the injectors before you buy it. It's not guaranteed, but it gives a pretty good idea of condition. 4 to -4 are the ranges of 'good'

injectors cost more than labor. You're looking at 1700-1800 for injectors and 1300 likely for labor as it calls for 13. Something hours.

Injectors are not hard to replace yourself though just time consuming. Biggest thing is to add extra filtration, go to a cat filter adapter or a fass/airdog setup to help the injectors. Also air removal is key. I'd also run an additive. Some guys get 50k out of injectors some get 500k. Just luck of the draw. Get the balance rates so you know what shape they're in. Also it's key to buy genuine Bosch reman injectors.

Lb7s are nice in that unless it came from Cali it has no egr and no cat. I wouldn't trade my lb7 for any other duramax honestly. But most would recommend an LLY or newer since they don't have injector issues.

The 01-05s also have HG issues...but that's hit or miss.

Good to know ... I was looking into a d max ... 03 I think ... Is that lb7 ??

Yup 01-04 are lb7s. Half way through 04 they switched to the lly.

Guys also swap heads from lly/lbz trucks to lb7s to get rid of the injector issues.

But they do have the biggest injectors of any duramax except the lml. Can't beat buying a truck throwing a lift pump and turbo on then being able to lay down 600-610whp

Edited by 01Dmax

I was told that pushing the LB7 past 550 is a good way to "break" the pistons ??? any truth to that ?

Lb7-lly the 01-05s have the good pistons but bend rods around 600-650. But I've also seen plenty live at that horse power. So maybe luck of the draw? People actually use the stock lb7-lly pistons in mild builds, get them cut and coated and seem to be living in 1000hp builds.

06-10 lbz-lmm have the weak pistons a lot of times cracking or burning a hole through around 600-700hp BUT there is some out there living so kind of luck of the draw also but defiantly playing with fire.. The lbz-lmms have stronger rods, seem to bend above 700-750hp.

So one has better rods weaker pistons and one has better pistons weaker rods, sucks lol