A different way to build a 2nd gen crew cab.

Not sure if it sagging or just a poor alignment to the bed.

I thought about 12 to 18 inch extension for my 2nd generation, and then install a third generation slant back seat in the rear.

But it probably would probably be smarter and cheaper to find a mega cab. If I thought we could do it ourself it be OK.

would a wrecked rear section of a mega body match up to existing 2nd generation?

Edited by Packards42
  • 2 weeks later...

The 2nd gens are my flat out favorite body style of all the diesel trucks in the world; I don't know why, but this body style really left an impression on me when I was in high school - but as a dad of two growing pre-teen boys who will likely equal my height in just a few short years, my ext'd cab 01 is already looking too small when I have all three kids in the backseat. I recall a company that used to make crew cab conversions for the 2nd gen, but I think they went out of business, and is likely cost prohibitive now with these trucks getting up in years. But this idea isn't bad. Just add a club cab to the back of the quad cab and voila! I don't like the huge limo look of this particular truck, so perhaps I wouldn't want the entire club cab added - perhaps just enough to make the cab deep enough to match a current day crew cab (+ ~12 inches or so???). Interesting to think through. I wonder if anyone locally could make something like this work with quality (no leaks, creaks, groans, etc)? I might even be willing to sacrifice some of the bed to keep the frame intact. and it would need to be cheaper than just buying a 3rd or 4th gen truck since it makes no sense finacially to chop up a good truck when you buy what you need for less. But it would be cool...

Seriously, anyone know of any quality auto body shops that might be able to take on a project like this?

Personally I think they wasted their time. Why would they not make the quad door bigger and move the seat back at least another 4-5 inches? They obviously had the fabrication skills to do it.

Make it a mega quad cab. Then you might have something.

Personally I think they wasted their time. Why would they not make the quad door bigger and move the seat back at least another 4-5 inches? They obviously had the fabrication skills to do it.

Make it a mega quad cab. Then you might have something.

Yes but then you need to fabricate doors and make it all fit, this is simpler. The quad door would be adequate for getting in and out of the rear bench. There's a photo of another one done like this in front of DDPs shop but with a short box. I wonder if Lenny might know who did that guys conversion.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31/902779_580801918611038_2131634458_o.jpg

A guy in town here has a Quad cab with a full crew cab added in front of the quad (4 full size doors, two quad doors) and an 8' box. He had it done in Minnesota when it was fairly new for around $14k.

Edited by Woodenhead

Yes i wondering if one could fins a wrecked early second generation and cut the rear door section out and add in behind the existing rear door section. and then weld one set of the door close permentantly. simple extend the frame.

Yes i wondering if one could fins a wrecked early second generation and cut the rear door section out and add in behind the existing rear door section. and then weld one set of the door close permentantly. simple extend the frame.

Sure Joe, one can do anything. But no way in hell would I try something like that, I'd turn in too a mess and have two scrapped trucks. For me it'd have to be someone that did it before and has proven they know wtf they're doing :).

Even easier use a club cab wreck, their only one door to deal with!, once you ahve the wreck you can cut the rear section off and make sure it going to work.

Length the frame is the easy part. it matching the bodies!. I want to be able to do under $4000plus paint.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.