Torque Monkey

Let's make a difference....

I know that I for one was really glad I was able to merge a dyno day at Lennys with our party. I have very much gotten soured on the whole thing. It used to be something we all very much looked forward to and planned on and now (to me at least) it seems to be more of a (I need a bunch of work done and I want you to do it for me) thing. I remember when the most we did was a set of injectors or a bunch of KDP's and when Rip installed an exhaust at Robs it was a huge deal.

Now we have guys I dont even know wanting complete lifts installed free and not so much as a punch in the face for your trouble. I would love to have a get together where all we did was sit around and eat bs and do burnouts or tear up my yard.

I'm really hoping you have at least one more burnout competition. I've got a late entry I have been working on. :)

Joe, if you need a hand putting on one let me know. IIRC your not too far from 47?

I'm closer to Cornelius pass and hwy 26

From a relative new comers point of view........

I have a new truck and will not be modding it much if any for quite a while. So my interests at this point are for regular maintenance stuff and social events.

This past weekend, we drove our tdi to the camp out and met Kelly, his wife, and others. There were 4 members from this board including myself. It was purely a social event but I much say Kelly and his wife were MOST EXCELLENT hosts. We had a great time.

We would like to attend more events like this one and will in the future if and when they are scheduled.... Our attendance will most likely be limited to those events in which we can enjoy our new trailer and the truck.

I have some physical limitations that are getting worse with time, so my ability and desire to do any heavy work on my truck is a thing of the past. I now pay people to do the work on my truck that I would have performed in years gone by. So no heavy mods.

This board has been a great place for me. It has been a friendly place to ask a question and get answers. i know if i have a serious question, someone will give me a respectful answer.....no matter how basic the question is. I think this respect is essential for a board like this. We seem to have it here.

I have heard and read comments that the board has lost it's direction with the addition of the gun section and maybe the trailer section. I like guns.......and the trailer section is of interest to me because that is the reason i have a diesel pickup. For me it is an RV rather than a modding platform. But i like reading the technical section on mods too.

I think the tdi section has been a great addition tot he board. It got me thinking about another VW and we ended up buying one pointed out by Kelly. It will really save us some fuel money by driving it rather than the truck. I am looking forward to doing some light mods for economy improvement.

All in all I like this board and i keep coming back. I wouldn't change much, but if the consensus was that the focus needs to be narrowed back to diesels.......so be it. It would still be a great place. i do think the tdi section should stay......!!!!!!

Again, from a relative new comer's perspective......one who was not here in the old days.

ahh old days don't mean better days IMHO ... we have a great site and the added forums were/are a nice addition again MHO

Let me be perfectly, I absolutely do not want any of the sections changed or removed. I think they are perfect the way they are. I believe a lot of people posting are reading what I am saying but not really listening. My goal with this post was to try to get more involvement from new members as well as old. The only thing that I was implying was that if you are part of the moderation team and you don't have time for the board to participate on a level that titles requires it may be time to pass the torch.

I also said that there are a lot of people out there looking for guidance and information. i see an opportunity for the board to grow by providing that.

Driving to work this morning I was trying to think of a topic I could start an artcile on. My problem is my mind goes in about 10 different directions at once. It is difficult to narrow down my focus. I would like to be able to have a place where some one can ask about a topic but I guess that is what the whole board is for.... :right:

The other thing I wanted everyone to understand is that the socail functions that are planned take an enoremous amount of work and detication. helping Hoss a couple times and being to Kelly's place I know what it takes. These events should be more focused on getting to know your fellow enthusiasts. Not see how much of your wish list can be accomplished for free. Hoss and i worked on many peoples trucks outside of the Bombparties. I think we are all willing to lend a hand. It just needs to be set up in the right way. Not when everyones focus should be on something else.

Now that I don't live in the city anymore and actually have a place that I think we could have a BBQ and BS weekend, maybe Hoss and I could team up together and plan an event this summer.

I have the space for campers, I have some shop space for a few small BOMB jobs. But mostly I have the place to get together and BS and eat and swim in the pool if you want.

Here's a picture of my back yard.

post-172-0-67145900-1380207410_thumb.jpg

Both of you guys above, thanks from me for offering. I really only have a carport for bombing and it did some every year, but all of it could have been done on the gravel too.

It would be great to spread it out a bit. Mark did it all for a few years before I came along, and it is a lot to do. Spreading it out would be great IMO.

I know that I for one was really glad I was able to merge a dyno day at Lennys with our party. I have very much gotten soured on the whole thing. It used to be something we all very much looked forward to and planned on and now (to me at least) it seems to be more of a (I need a bunch of work done and I want you to do it for me) thing. I remember when the most we did was a set of injectors or a bunch of KDP's and when Rip installed an exhaust at Robs it was a huge deal.

Now we have guys I dont even know wanting complete lifts installed free and not so much as a punch in the face for your trouble. I would love to have a get together where all we did was sit around and eat bs and do burnouts or tear up my yard.

Your post made me chuckle, can you just picture Rip lying on the ground cussing up a storm about how the exhaust just wont cooperate? :right: I have been fortunate enough to be involved with this group for a number of years now. I say fortunate because we have had good get togethers, good food and conversation, donated to food banks, helped guys with the mods and ponitifcated about all kinds of crap. We have also helped out guys in need and made sure that even with our busy lives and lack of funds at times we didnt forget community even if all we could share were some words of encouragement.

I havent had a diesel for 18 months now but I still come when I can. The reason is simple, good people, good conversation, and good laughs. I have still used the express and returned the favor, showed up at Kelly's in a gasser (OMG!) just to visit. I think if we all participate a little there is more over all.

Ben, thanks for asking the question and starting the conversation. I am just sharing my 2 cents.

Your post made me chuckle, can you just picture Rip lying on the ground cussing up a storm about how the exhaust just wont cooperate? :right: I have been fortunate enough to be involved with this group for a number of years now. I say fortunate because we have had good get togethers, good food and conversation, donated to food banks, helped guys with the mods and ponitifcated about all kinds of crap. We have also helped out guys in need and made sure that even with our busy lives and lack of funds at times we didnt forget community even if all we could share were some words of encouragement.

I havent had a diesel for 18 months now but I still come when I can. The reason is simple, good people, good conversation, and good laughs. I have still used the express and returned the favor, showed up at Kelly's in a gasser (OMG!) just to visit. I think if we all participate a little there is more over all.

Ben, thanks for asking the question and starting the conversation. I am just sharing my 2 cents.

If I remember correctly we had a long conversation about putting a Diesel in that gasser so I don't think it was completely out of line. :thumbup:

I havent given up yet Ben! Now, I am thinking a late 70's Dodge dreamliner with a cummin's swap......but thats a differnt thread all together my friend. :cowboy:

Just reading this thread brings up so many memories I remember the Idaho bomb parties and dyno days.(crazy to think Idaho had followers and hosted parties) I met rip and Vaughn at an older farmers party, I remember the nice gentleman believe his name was Jim he had the airplane hanger shop, there was definitely a Brotherhood and following I've learned so much through reading and posting on this forum, I remember a young man named Jeff had a jeep was welcomed into the group and loved it, I met Hoss racing the red rocket at firebird in Idaho, I kinda miss the good old days when it would take you couple hours to read through the post, I've never made it to the "big parties in Northwest" still lucky at the people I've met along the way. Fram filters brings memories my first diesel i was scared to death of within a year i wasn't afraid to ask few questions and get into it. back in the day we didn't have google we actually asked people who knew and engaged now its google and go to repair. I get the free work crowd and the curious wanting to learn guys its hard to tell them apart just treat everyone right knowing it all works out and you cant see a rainbow with the rain first.😥

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing this back up Yogi! It's a good reminder of where we are and where we have been. It's been a long ride for some of us.
I remember my first Bomb party at Robs place I got new DD3's installed in my truck and after Rob did the first couple he said "here ya go it's your turn" I was scared to death to install a injector! I thought I was going s Rew up and ruin it. Rob insisted and said my truck wasn't leaving unless I put these injectors in. Got my feet wet that day.
Lucky Jeff was the hardest working kid I ever saw! He did KDP's on any truck that a guy would let him touch.
Me and Mike Ramos went for a drive after we finished my injectors and I promptly blew a intercooler boot and thought "I knew it I should never have done those injectors I blew my truck up!" Mike reassured me it was a boot and we smoked excessively back to Rob's.
Mark Smith was there and if I remember right was going to make a bed in the hay barn and Rob insisted he stay in the house.
Those were good times!
Believe it or not Blackout was actually on the road then!

There has been a lot of changes since this discussion was started back in 2013.
We definitely had some growing pains with regards to parties and the amount and type of work done at them. The last few years I have loved that at my place it's a lot more about talking with friends rather than rebuilding the rear end on a truck for guy I don't even know.
The party a few years ago that Blair Pine and ton of other guys attended was outstanding! The place was packed and it was awesome.
Last year was a very light turnout and it was awesome. The point is its not about how many people show up or how many people post every day but it's about WHO shows up and WHO posts weather it's every day or once every couple months. I would rather spend time with a couple friends than a couple acquaintances.
It seems to me that every time a member goes another direction a new one picks up his torch and runs with it. Times change and people change and we need to change with them to a point but the Bombers will always be the Bombers and Rob Hanson's pay it forward mentality will live on as long as this board is alive and I have anything to say about it!

• Like 1

I didn't even remember starting this thread..... thanks for the flashback.

45 minutes ago, HOSS said:

Thanks for bringing this back up Yogi! It's a good reminder of where we are and where we have been. It's been a long ride for some of us.
I remember my first Bomb party at Robs place I got new DD3's installed in my truck and after Rob did the first couple he said "here ya go it's your turn" I was scared to death to install a injector! I thought I was going s Rew up and ruin it. Rob insisted and said my truck wasn't leaving unless I put these injectors in. Got my feet wet that day.
Lucky Jeff was the hardest working kid I ever saw! He did KDP's on any truck that a guy would let him touch.
Me and Mike Ramos went for a drive after we finished my injectors and I promptly blew a intercooler boot and thought "I knew it I should never have done those injectors I blew my truck up!" Mike reassured me it was a boot and we smoked excessively back to Rob's.
Mark Smith was there and if I remember right was going to make a bed in the hay barn and Rob insisted he stay in the house.
Those were good times!
Believe it or not Blackout was actually on the road then!

Had it all squared away with Rob for borrowing a hay bale or five to sleep on.  He pulled the ol' switcharoo.  Pretty sure if I didn't sleep in the house, and insisted on the barn, he would have joined me.

Good times for sure. :right:

• Like 1

Sure miss Rob's hammer on the cross member trick after an injector installation.

• Like 1

I believe that was a hand me down from Piers 

he pull it on every one especially the newby’s 

• Like 1