Torque Monkey

Let's make a difference....

Recently I read an article about how popular diesel trucks are becoming with the younger crowd and what this means to the industry of diesel performance and repair. Although I didn’t really like the subject in which the article was written (making money) it did make me realize a couple of things. We have a large amount of people buying these truck that were most likely not even walking when the truck were built. We also have a large amount of people buying these trucks, either new or used, that don’t have a lot of information regarding the pros and cons of owning these trucks. In my mind that is where the internet forums become more valuable than ever. In order for this idea to work I think we all have to change are way of thinking. A lot of times (maybe not so much on this forum) you will have people sign on and say “how do I make my truck smoke?” or “how do I increase my mileage?”. Often times you will have someone come on that thread and say “Search!” This has always bothered me a bit. The whole idea behind a forum is to have a discussion and exchange ideas. Lately most forums have become a place to abuse the new guy because he isn’t so familiar with the proper etiquette on a forum.

Now, I am not trying to say that there is anything wrong with the NWBOMBERS. What I am trying to say is I think it is time for a change. I think the board needs to have people paying attention to the health of the board as well as actively encouraging new members. How many of the moderators sign on to this board on a daily basis? Or even a weekly basis? When they do how many have the goal to get people to actively participate in an event or function, even if it isn’t a Bombers function? I truly believe this is what is missing in the group today. We need to encourage membership to these new folks. They are the future of this board. I think it is time that we look into making some changes in the moderations team.

In going back and reading my own words this totally sounds like an attack on the current board leaders and that is not my goal at all. My concern is strictly for the health of this board and nothing more. Further, I have no intention of wanting to be a moderator so my goal here is not selfish at all. As a vendor on this board I think it is better I not be involved with the inner workings on a day to day basis. I am however going to challenge myself to write some article in different places on this board, that have to do with simple tech. How many of you would think I lost my mind if I wrote an article on how to change your oil, or fuel filter? How many remember the dangers of using FRAM filters? Bottom line is if you search, you will get old, out dated posts where the pictures have been lost or the information may not be all that accurate. I am not saying you should use FRAM filters. Also we have people coming to the board now that don’t know so much and starting at the basics would be very helpful to them.

I also think the focus of how the board is used should be different. I think it should be used to help people learn about this passion. So often these days, the board has less to do with Diesels and more to do with other passions. Not that I mind that so much but I would like to bring Diesel back to the front of the line as much as possible. Also any event we have seems to turn into more of a “I have a list of work I want done on the cheap” gathering than a get to know your fellow enthusiast type of gathering. This needs to change as well. Having seen firsthand how it is for some of the people that host the Bomb parties, it doesn’t take long to see why they get soured on the idea after a while.

Again, my goal with the thread is to try to spark some enthusiasm in the board. I know these people are out there because every event I go to I am surrounded by people that want information and have an interest. After being abused a couple times I think the interest fades. That goes for new members and old. I think it is the responsibility of this board to mold and shape the future of the Diesel Community in our area. If we don’ what is the point? There is a new group of people out there. I would like to meet them......

Agreed, it does seem interest in events and BOMB Parties is waning significantly from the hay days of 2001-2005. There is a younger crowd comming up and they always have questions. Most boards I frequent dont have any sort of "manifest destiny" with regards to molding the future of the community...they exist just to provide a place to communicate and discuss a particular interest, which is what NWB is.

in reality, this is a hobby. and as such interest ebbs and flows depending on what is occuring in life outside.

I can only speak for myself in regards to participation, and the reason for not partisipating as much as I used to is strictly financial...the stuff I want to do takes a back seat to other hobbies which offer more bang for the buck.

Is it strictly the responsibility of the Administration/Moderation team to spark interest in the board?? I dont think so. Everyone is responsible, and I think if a member is passionate enough to actively recruit, the by all means, go for it.

Is it strictly the responsibility of the Administration/Moderation team to spark interest in the board?? I dont think so. Everyone is responsible, and I think if a member is passionate enough to actively recruit, the by all means, go for it.

I don't thin it is a Moderators function to spark interest in the board. I do how ever think it is a Moderators function to steer the board in a genral direction once the spark has been shown. Do you think that you have lived up to this responsibility?

Also I said that it is my goal to try to actively encourage new members without being part of the Adminstration/Moderation team. At no point in my post did I say it was the Moderation teams responsibility for sparking that interest. The interest is already there, we just need to take advantage of it.

If you feel that I am making accusation you are wrong.

I don't thin it is a Moderators function to spark interest in the board. I do how ever think it is a Moderators function to steer the board in a genral direction once the spark has been shown. Do you think that you have lived up to this responsibility?

Also I said that it is my goal to try to actively encourage new members without being part of the Adminstration/Moderation team. At no point in my post did I say it was the Moderation teams responsibility for sparking that interest. The interest is already there, we just need to take advantage of it.

I do know I have not been around much recently. I would like too. Have I steered the board in one direction or another. Yes. Is it always in a direction that everyone likes?? No.

One thing that I think needs to be done is all the "stuffyness" needs to go bye bye....the board is definately stale...It reminds me of the town of Longview....Old, Stinky, and full of old farts who dont know how to have a good time. I miss cracking a cold one and doin cookies in the mudd...that does not seem to happen here much anymore...

No accusations assumed bud..it's all good!!!

I do know I have not been around much recently. I would like too. Have I steered the board in one direction or another. Yes. Is it always in a direction that everyone likes?? No.

One thing that I think needs to be done is all the "stuffyness" needs to go bye bye....the board is definately stale...It reminds me of the town of Longview....Old, Stinky, and full of old farts who dont know how to have a good time. I miss cracking a cold one and doin cookies in the mudd...that does not seem to happen here much anymore...

No accusations assumed bud..it's all good!!!

Cool!

Just tryin to livin the place up a bit.

I know what you are saying Ben, but it's hard for the "old guard" not to get defensive.

While some new personalities would be nice, no one has stepped up an volunteered. I'm sure we have a few moderators here who would love to fade into the background.

http://www.nwbombers.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders

I know what you are saying Ben, but it's hard for the "old guard" not to get defensive.

While some new personalities would be nice, no one has stepped up an volunteered. I'm sure we have a few moderators here who would love to fade into the background.

http://www.nwbombers...tats&do=leaders

I know, it turned into a balme game last time this was brought up. That is not my intention at all. As a matter of fact I had thought twice abotu posting this because I was concerned about that very thing. The point is i think that the board could be a lot better palce if we all stepped up the game a bit. I hold myself responsible just as much as anyone. If you are looking for Volunteers I would certainly do the job. I am just not sure it is appropriate given my status as a vendor. I think it is important that as a moderator you are unbias....

If everyone get Defensive about this subject we won't get anywhere. Sometimes the sensative issues have to be discussed.

I know, it turned into a balme game last time this was brought up. That is not my intention at all. As a matter of fact I had thought twice abotu posting this because I was concerned about that very thing. The point is i think that the board could be a lot better palce if we all stepped up the game a bit. I hold myself responsible just as much as anyone. If you are looking for Volunteers I would certainly do the job. I am just not sure it is appropriate given my status as a vendor. I think it is important that as a moderator you are unbias....

If everyone get Defensive about this subject we won't get anywhere. Sometimes the sensative issues have to be discussed.

Thanks for posting. Every once in a while we do need a shakeup.

I would love to have your help, but I'm unsure of the whole vendor being a moderator thing too. Moderators need to be objective, and as I've seen, you've been objective and helpful without pushing too much business to yourself. Your posts and threads have been quite popular (Rat Rod build in particular!). Thanks for your participation!

but the decision isn't solely mine. I hope some others weigh in here.

Personally I would rather contribute with out being a Moderator, not only because I am a vendor but also because it was not my intention when I started this thread. However, I will continue to do what I can to contribute.

Even the New Gaurd becomes Old Gaurd when enough time passes.

That said, we do have a very tight-knit group of people on here. While not boasting the volume of members as other forums, I am sure that we all know 80% of the active members on here.

What we have to offer is a slightly different flavor than other diesel sites. And I will admit, that for a time, I too wanted more active members on here.

With a few gray hairs later, I realized that one reason we don't is the lack of drama here (compared to other places)

I am glad we have this site, i enjoy all the members here, and their support has been great over the years.

Do we have room for improvement? You Bet! Are we having as many 'issues' as other sites? No.

If there is anything specific we can add Ben, let us know:) we act for the membership :)

HMMM, add? No, I don't think so. In my mind I am always trying to think of things I can post that will be of interest to other. Mike and I had been tlaking in the past about doing some sort of blog or articles on different subjects. Our website has not become the focus of our business as much as it once was. This got me to thinking i could still do this but put the articles here.... At least now if I do an article on Oil changes you guys will hopefully not think I have flipped. LOL!

The subject of people visiting the site is a double edged sword to me. I knoww hat you mean about a close knit group. Most days even i feel as though I am not part of that group so i can only imagine how others feel. I wasn't here in the begining. I never met Rob but I sure know who he is. If you don't let new people into the group then the board will eventually disolve. Look back at how many people don't post here anymore.

In short, as long as we have a Moderating team that has the same goals and polices the site as needed the drama should stay to a minimum. No?

I personally think one thing that needs to go away is the political discussions. We all need to agree to disagree and RESPECT other peoples beliefs. I know of a few members that left over these kind of stuff. If I want to talk politics or religion I would go to those forums. I am here for the Diesel powered vehicles.

As for new members, we see some for while and they move on, I think that a lot of them loose interest in Diesels quickly and move on. For a while the Cummins forum had a large group in the Portland/Vancouver area, it has died down to 5-10 posts per week.

Ben, I agree completely about people and use the search bottom. Seriously, I don't have time to sort through 150 pages to try to find an answer, couldn't they just as easily answered my questions?

I would like to see a little more events, I hope to do something about the first of the year. Either Camp 18 or the Columbia River Gorge.

I personally think one thing that needs to go away is the political discussions. We all need to agree to disagree and RESPECT other peoples beliefs. I know of a few members that left over these kind of stuff. If I want to talk politics or religion I would go to those forums. I am here for the Diesel powered vehicles.

As for new members, we see some for while and they move on, I think that a lot of them loose interest in Diesels quickly and move on. For a while the Cummins forum had a large group in the Portland/Vancouver area, it has died down to 5-10 posts per week.

Ben, I agree completely about people and use the search bottom. Seriously, I don't have time to sort through 150 pages to try to find an answer, couldn't they just as easily answered my questions?

I would like to see a little more events, I hope to do something about the first of the year. Either Camp 18 or the Columbia River Gorge.

I really like the Camp 18 trip...

One thing that ALL BBB forums are experiencing is a drop in volume because of social media sites like Facebook.

The reality is, before facebook etc, BBB forums all had a lot more traffic :)

I know that I for one was really glad I was able to merge a dyno day at Lennys with our party. I have very much gotten soured on the whole thing. It used to be something we all very much looked forward to and planned on and now (to me at least) it seems to be more of a (I need a bunch of work done and I want you to do it for me) thing. I remember when the most we did was a set of injectors or a bunch of KDP's and when Rip installed an exhaust at Robs it was a huge deal.

Now we have guys I dont even know wanting complete lifts installed free and not so much as a punch in the face for your trouble. I would love to have a get together where all we did was sit around and eat bs and do burnouts or tear up my yard.

I know that I for one was really glad I was able to merge a dyno day at Lennys with our party. I have very much gotten soured on the whole thing. It used to be something we all very much looked forward to and planned on and now (to me at least) it seems to be more of a (I need a bunch of work done and I want you to do it for me) thing. I remember when the most we did was a set of injectors or a bunch of KDP's and when Rip installed an exhaust at Robs it was a huge deal.

Now we have guys I dont even know wanting complete lifts installed free and not so much as a punch in the face for your trouble. I would love to have a get together where all we did was sit around and eat bs and do burnouts or tear up my yard.

Yep, a lot of people got a LOT of free work done and we never seen them again. It was fun when it was helping a friend out now is just a way for some to save money, and I know you had the same problem I had, a lot of tools disappear. I personally have more fun driving em than working on em. I also think we need to acknowledge that our name doesn't really help bring in new members. I do not want it changed, but, I know what cummins forum is about, but does everyone know what nwbombers is about?

I would love to have a get together where all we did was sit around and eat bs and do burnouts or tear up my yard.

That sounds like fun... :)

I think I went to the bomb party at Hoss's in 07 and 08. I can't remember if there was one in 09 or if I went.

I really enjoyed the couple parties I went to, but they always fall on my wife's birthday weekend. Over the years I've become less selfish, had more kids and because of the weekend it usually falls on I haven't made it.

I don't have the facility that Mark has but if I can get my shop cleaned up and presentable I have thought about doing a small event down here for the Portland area crowd.

I missed the Rob Hanson days but I think it would be great to see those basics come back. Good friends, good food and just BS for a weekend.

Like Bob V says, I enjoy driving mine more then working on it also.

Joe, I am sure anything you could do to host a party would be welcome. I'd make the trip.

and I've wanted to come to yours but I don't like to be gone on my wife's birthday. Maybe this next year ill make it. All depends on the date