Best shocks for a working 1 ton dually

I have about 280-290 thousand miles on my old style Rancho 9000's .. took them off my wrecked '98 Dually and put them on my 2001 Dually ... the spring are so stiff it's hard to tell if they are wore out or not, but no bounce at all and I live down a dirt road and have driven back roads all it's life , the 2001.. it has 228000 now.

I am sold on them.

on another note ... do you know the fellow that is an engineer for the Alaska ferry system [another good diesel Dodge guy] .. think he is out of Ketchikan or Skagway IIRC

for the life of me I can't remember his name. he used to be and may still be a TDR guy ... any of the old NWB guys remember his name .. he was at some of the early bomb parties. I have lots track of him and wanted to say howdy to him.. nice guy drove a blue dodge 24 valve "working rig"

Edited by GTroyer

Do not know him...

So the Rancho 9000 will not turn the truck into a hay wagon or to tuff a ride?

they are adjustable .. ran the fronts on a medium setting and the rears a couple clicks less but it is a Dually

Edited by GTroyer

Guys, check into BOSS shocks. Their shocks are completely oil filled, not gas charged, and 12-position adjustable. They come it a bunch of sizes and lengths to pretty much accomodate evertyhing, then you buy bushings and hardware to fit them to specific vehicles. I have been emailing Reece Tasker at Boss and he says they have the parts & pieces at least for my 2wd truck. I can ask about other applications.

They don't have US distributors but sell and ship to the US out of BC. He quoted me $90 a pair, $180 total with $55 shipping.

Site http://www.bossgloba...oss_shocks.html

I decided not to go with the Rancho adjustables this time. On my 2003 the front ones were difficult to adjust as the adjusters were at the bottom inside the coil spring. The rear adjusters froze up after four years. On my current 2008 I went with the KYB Monomax. A little stiffer, but not a rough ride empty. Great ride loaded with the camper.

Doug

Guys, check into BOSS shocks. Their shocks are completely oil filled, not gas charged, and 12-position adjustable. They come it a bunch of sizes and lengths to pretty much accomodate evertyhing, then you buy bushings and hardware to fit them to specific vehicles. I have been emailing Reece Tasker at Boss and he says they have the parts & pieces at least for my 2wd truck. I can ask about other applications.

They don't have US distributors but sell and ship to the US out of BC. He quoted me $90 a pair, $180 total with $55 shipping.

Site http://www.bossgloba...oss_shocks.html

Vaughn .. the idea of gas is to control the shock when the oil is hot and they give up then , so how is a oil filled non gas better ??

I just put a new set of Rancho 9000's on my truck and love them. My old ones where completely shot and I set the fronts on 5 and the rears on 7 and the truck rides great a little stiff in the rear empty but I have the camper on more often than not these days

I have BOSS shocks on my truck on all 4 corners. We used to be a dealer but they are not so easy to get anymore. They are gas charged.

I recommend Rnacho RS9000. Can't beat the warranty and they have made some inporvements that puts them on par with BOSS IMHO....

For acamper application on a truck you can not beat the adjustable shock at least iin the real for load control. We have tried sway bars and other gimicks but the adjustable shocks made the most difference.

I've had Rancho 9000 on for 70000 miles, it just getting a rough ride on the fronts with wash board roads. I will try adjusting them up a couple of points? if after 7 years they move

Edited by Packards42

I've had Rancho 9000 on for 70 miles, it just getting a rough ride on the fronts with wash board roads. I will try adjusting them up a couple of points? 7 years

Turn them down not up to soften the ride

the Ranchos work, but I have had issues with beating the eyes out of them...the elastomers dont hold up

Same here, 65,000 miles the adjusters don't have full range anymore and they do make a lot of clunking noise because of worn end bushings. They have worked great otherwise and give a ok ride empty, adjusted down with good control for camper and trailers when adjusted up.

I got my Rancho's from Diesel Outfitters but I have always had a soft spot for special needs people and try to help them whenever I can.

Diesel Outfitters; I have always had a soft spot for special needs people and try to help them whenever I can.

And boy are they special.....

:D :D :D

Edited by rubystargoats
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a set of Boss shocks on their way. Got an email from Reece Tasker asking where I had heard of Boss as he has had a lot of new interest. Gee- Vaughn, I wonder how that happened!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Procomp rs3000 ... there also a hydraulic shock ... I put them on my Twin I beam F250 4x4 ... they do have a nice ride now .... 97cummins and my wife were suprised at the $33.00 price each also .... thats for the 2 wd dodge 2500 ... mine is a 95 ...... I will be having mine done with the upper ball joints .... but I must say the ford has never felt so good goin down the road ... give them a try there cheep and even if they dont last like 2 yrs ... still cheep as hell either way ..LOL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.