BOMBER Board
HOTMOPR

SOTM - Absolutely Disgusted and very Disappointed!

SOTM. I have never seen a lack of common sense and a complete disregard for public saftey as I had seen today. Thus cutting my trip short. Who ever thought it was a good Idea to stop on the side of highway 12 to take pictures of the line up is a IDIOT! Not only is hwy 12 a very busy and fast hwy its one of the most dangerous in the state. People slamming on the brakes and causing everyone to slow way down to go around was not smart. Then who ever was leading obviously didnt know where the heck they were going and missed the turn along with a dozen other people. So they did U turns in the middle of Hwy 12. Some guy tried to flip it around and did a donut. People were pulling off and waiting along side the road. I traveled on a dropped off my donation to the food bank and headed back home. I am still pissed! I will not be attending again until something changes. I have been on 4 or 5 of these and today was rediculous!! I wasnt the only one who left..

Edited by HOTMOPR

I was talking to Russ about this very thing Thursday. This is one of the reasons I didnt want my name, or the NW Bombers, assosiated with this. I am in complete agreement with you!

Very sad!

I must be getting old.... I wasn't impressed...

Good seeing you too Adam! And Dan(Rubystargoats) and 97Cummins too!

I left right after I talked to Adam in Toledo. I didnt want to witness an accident... :thumbdwn:

For anyone just joining the NWBombers group - That wasnt who we are - driving that that needs to be done on the track..

I remember the very first SOTM, it was a blast. The second one was very good also with more Bombers showing up. The third one however wasn't that great with the inclusion of other people from other forums. it became more unruly and less organized. I stopped coming, it just wasn't the same with all of the other people.

I'm thinking next year - we'll go by ourselves. Usually our outings are like seeing family, not this one.

Bob mentioned that there was some sort of collision at Spiffy's??? Adam did you see anything?

I am in no way defending or making excuses for anyone today. I'm just going to point out what I heard and saw. Some of this doesn't completely go along with what Adam said, just another side to the story.

I arrived at Spiffys around 9:45. I have not gone on this trip in 4 years just because life has been busy for me. First thing I noticed is that I do not know hardly anyone on the trip. The ratio of Fords to Dodges was about 8:1. We left promptly at 10:00 and I was probably one of the first 6 trucks to pull out. When we were about 2 miles down the highway we heard there was an accident. I have no idea who it was or how it happened at that time. We pulled over along the side of the highway to wait for people and try and find out what happened and if we needed to go back to help. We did not stop just to take a picture. From the information I gathered is that some guy in a quad cab green dodge pulled out of Spiffys out of control and hit a Toyota Corolla. That guys lack of common sense sucks. It's too bad it happened and I'm really kind of sad it happened with this group. Again I knew very few in this group.

At the stop light when about 8 trucks went straight there was some CB Chatter about which way to go. I knew to go right, but hadn't been in 4 years so not knowing where the food bank was I followed the first few trucks who went straight. I did do a U-turn in the highway, but there were no oncoming cars when I did so.

We then proceeded to the Food bank. We dropped off 805 lbs. Great job to everyone for that. They were very appreciative of this. It beat the last two years combined.

At the next stop sign when we made the left on to spirit lake hwy every year I've gone Daryl would video everyone pulling out of there blowing smoke, drifting, etc. Nothing happened this year that hasn't any other year I've gone. There was at least two people spotting at that intersection.

Again, I'm not defending anyone, just stating what I saw. Now I cannot see the whole group from where I was so this is only what I observed.

In the 4 years it's been since I went last time there has been a lot of things that have changed. It is now more of a event for the guys on NW Ford Diesels. I saw very few people and very little interest from this site.

I am a newbie to this site compared to a lot of you so take this for what it is. I've only been on this board for about 6 years. Some of you were doing this long before that.

I hope this site can come back together in such a way that there are more events, more involvement and everyone can have a good time. In the past I have enjoyed the gorge run, SOTM, the Camp 18 trip, etc.

As you know Joe the pull off hwy 12 was only a mile ahead with ample space as you saw for people to get off the highway. As for the rest off the trip I wasnt interested in being part of it and left after I donated my food to the bank. Glad nobody got killed..

As you know Joe the pull off hwy 12 was only a mile ahead with ample space as you saw for people to get off the highway. As for the rest off the trip I wasnt interested in being part of it and left after I donated my food to the bank. Glad nobody got killed..

Sorry Adam, I don't know which pull off you are refering to. I guess I'm like a sheep and followed the trucks in front of me pulling over. We were all completely off Hwy 12 on the shoulder. Granted it wasn't the best place, but I didn't see the danger per say.

Until Rubystargoats got in front we didn't really have anyone leading. That was a problem and should of been worked out earlier. I would of been happy to lead, but don't know the area or where the food bank was.

jackson hwy where the right turn was to head to toledo. I assumed the guy leading would have known the way. I would have lead as I have been up there many times in my truck and on my bike so I know the road pretty well.

So who had the Green dodge? I dont even recall seeing it. I only remember about 5 dodges and 30 fords..

jackson hwy where the right turn was to head to toledo. I assumed the guy leading would have known the way. I would have lead as I have been up there many times in my truck and on my bike so I know the road pretty well.

See, that's the unfortunate part. I think the first guy who pulled out didn't know where he was going. I assumed that it was the guy that was helping Bob get this finalized. But being how it was mostly people I don't know I had no idea who they were.

So who had the Green dodge? I dont even recall seeing it. I only remember about 5 dodges and 30 fords..

No idea. I was hoping a picture would pop up so I could see. I don't recall a green dodge either.

Anyone here know?

I remember the very first SOTM, it was a blast. The second one was very good also with more Bombers showing up. The third one however wasn't that great with the inclusion of other people from other forums. it became more unruly and less organized. I stopped coming, it just wasn't the same with all of the other people.

So when we talk of the OTHER sites and unruly less organized ,,,are we saying the Dodge that caused the first issues was not a BOMBER? Not pointing fingers here but I am saying to be very careful when you are doing so. If that had not happend there would have been no pulling off on the side of 12 and without that distraction I don't thik the leader and the first few trucks would have missed the turn. After we left Toledo things went very well. I am very sorry the issue leaving Spiffy"s happend but don't judge the event based on what that caused. Yes there were a lot of new people there but the reason that some of you may have felt you did not know anyone was not because of the new it was because the old did not come. It would be a news worthy event indeed if old and new showed up so the old could mentor the new on how it should go and you could meet new friends as well as old. 60 or 70 trucks showing up to enjoy a time and drive together would be a great event.

Sounds like a not very good time was had buy the people that knows why this group of people have these outings. I was planning on making this trip but am kinda glad I did not now as it would have been a huge fuel bill for me to be disapointed in the actions that have transpired. Very sad to say the least.

Edited by ram2pete

I've sat here and and wrote and deleted what I wrote a few times...

Never again... I have nothing good to say...

Whether it was a dodge or a ford smashing toyota's today, it doesnt matter.

I've totaled two cars because of carelessness in my Dodge - The last one could've easily been a fatality... It makes me sick to see people drive irresponsibly. I choose not to be around it.

If ya wanna drive like a ricer, buy a ricer... not a four ton truck.

This very reason is why I stopped going on club cruises. Once the club reaches critical mass, no good usually happens. I like the runs that have less than 20 cars or trucks.

This very reason is why I stopped going on club cruises. Once the club reaches critical mass, no good usually happens. I like the runs that have less than 20 cars or trucks.

I agree.

Yes what I'm about to say is hypocritical but life isn't "fair" or equal and that's just the way it is. When it comes to groups and numbers of cars/trucks, 1 or 2 or even a small handful burning tires as they enter a road is tolerable by most people. Having 20, 30, 40 cars/trucks burning tires is begging for someone to call the cops and/or cause an accident. Yes this is just my view on things but just like any topic you apply it to, if ya want to get away with something, keep the numbers small. The more people you have doing anything, the greater chances it'll go wrong or you'll get caught.

and very little interest from this site..

That sucks...

They haven't mentioned it on NWFD. I don't know who it was.