• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mastermoparman

mastermoparman
  • Members
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Vroom and boom

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

So im looming at a american eagle trailer. Its a 18 foot 7k car hauler. I was talking to the guy and he mentioned that he could get a dif set of axles andake it a 10k trailer. I only plan on hauling the jeep and my trailduster on semi regular bassis. I would like to be able to load my ram or my buddys f350 the next time it blows a head gasket.

So do you think it is worth getting the larger axles?

http://seattle.craig...3058865821.html

#2 n7gxz

n7gxz
  • Administrators
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

If it does not add much to the price I'd go with the 10K.

Kevin

#3 rubystargoats

rubystargoats
  • Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, Firearms, water sports, BOMBing

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

I would go with the 10K, not just bigger springs and axles but usually better tires, wheels and brakes, I stepped up to 14K and never regretted it. Also an F350 CC power stroke can weigh up to 8000 Lbs.....I think most of the trucks are over 6000 so even 10K trailer can be cutting it close.

#4 livingez_123

livingez_123

Live to drive...Drive to survive

• Contributor
  • 10,721 posts
  • Interests:I'm hoping that my post surgical life will be better and that my pain level will be manageable without the drugs. I also hope to go back to work in the future but the jury will be out on that one for another 12-18 months.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Another Eagle trailer. I hauled there stuff (2004-2008) from Bellingham to Sacramento and the coast to Boise.

They build a ok trailer, but when it comes to the weight rating it takes more than axles. They use a different size of steel. and I have hauled back more than one bent up trailer with the people insisting that they never overloaded it. Well the metal doesn't lie. So think twice about just tossing a set of bigger axles under it.

#5 leadfoot067

leadfoot067
  • Members
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:wheeling,going fast,camping,fishing,family

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

bigger the better..and the more room between the fenders the better.you will be pissed the first time you try to load a fullsize with 10" wheels on a trailer thats only 80 tween the fenders..my trailer is a great northern brand 14k 20' tilt deck and its 84" tween the fenders.i can load my K5 on 42s on and off without driving over the fenders..i wouldnt go longer than 20' deck.i can fit a 4 door long bed dodge on it but it uses ALL of it.your trailduster prolly weighs 5-6k..you would be overloading the 7k trailer and its 15" tires..youll be worry free with a 10-14k trailer with 235/85/16 tires..

#6 hutchman

hutchman
  • Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

FWIW, I have weighed my new Dodge 3500 CCLB SRW with two people and a full tank of fuel. It weighed 8500#.......I was stunned. They get heavy fast, so if you plan to haul a newer diesel truck, get the higher rating.

#7 mastermoparman

mastermoparman
  • Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:16 AM

thanks for the input guys. im definately looking into gett ing a 10k now. i talked to him he, and he told me that its springs axles tires and more crossmembers to make it a 10k. hes looking to see if he has a 10k already built.

i was serfing cl and a few dealers are selling fabform trailers. any opnions on them?

#8 livingez_123

livingez_123

Live to drive...Drive to survive

• Contributor
  • 10,721 posts
  • Interests:I'm hoping that my post surgical life will be better and that my pain level will be manageable without the drugs. I also hope to go back to work in the future but the jury will be out on that one for another 12-18 months.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

I can buy right from the owner of Eagle Mfg in Portland and he will give me a very good price. let me know if I can help.

#9 mastermoparman

mastermoparman
  • Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

So I decided to order a 10k trailer. Was cheaper then upgradeing a 7k. Should be here in a couple weeks.

#10 Packards42

Packards42

The 42 Packard Limo need a lot of work - retirement project.

• Members
  • 15,196 posts
  • Interests:New interest Solar Hot Water Energy System Business
    NWBombers, Packard Classic Auto,

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

I hauled a F350 crew cab, power stroke. it was the heavy thing on mytailer, rated: 7000 pounds. It really bend to load equalizing bars close to 3 inches when we drove it on.

I would not buy less than a 10,000 pound factory rated trailer. unless your planning to stiffen the frame. my 7000 use angle Iron, not channels, I thought about adding a second channel to make a full box beam out of it, and some stronger axles, Top Hat trailer Texas. it been a good trailer.

Attached Files

#11 mastermoparman

mastermoparman
  • Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

ya this one is made from 5 inch c channel frame and 3 inch cross member c channel. one thing he told me that alot of people forget. 10k axles minus the 2200 pounds for the trailer gives a 7800 pound pay load.

#12 Packards42

Packards42

The 42 Packard Limo need a lot of work - retirement project.

• Members
  • 15,196 posts
  • Interests:New interest Solar Hot Water Energy System Business
    NWBombers, Packard Classic Auto,

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

the net payload is the issue with most trailer in 16-18 foot range weighing 2000-2500 pounds. empty

It amaze the enclosed trailer with twin 3500 pound axles, they must have net payloads or 3500-4000 pounds. again 10K is the way to go

Edited by Packards42, 17 June 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#13 Woodenhead

Woodenhead
  • Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Is it a big jump in $$ to go to a gooseneck. I picked up a used 24' gooseneck for a great deal and haven't looked back since. Can't say I've pulled many heavy bumper pulls, I'd be curious to see how much different it pulls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users