Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Well I was feeling good today so I went out and drained my front and rear diffs and the transfer case. Filled everything back up with Amsoil.

the only problem I had was when I drained the front diff and the magnet was covered in metal and the fluid looked like it was full of metallic flakes. I guess I found where my noise was coming from. And just my luck, the Denali use's a different case than the pick ups and non AWD Yukon's and Tahoe's. I will run it like it is until I have cash to fix it or just remove the front drive line and axles and put some stub CV's in there to hold the hub together.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh (Blownaway) has a Denali and his front diff went out too. He dropped the entire thing and took it to a shop to get rebuilt. He said it's very common for them to go bad on that vehicle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's AWD all the time so yes the front diff does take a beating. now if I would convert it to part time like the Yukons and pickups I could run it in 2wd most of the time and save the front diff. Or I can make it 2wd and not worry having a 4x4. It's nice that I have options so it wont leave me stranded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I could remove my front drive line and just drive around in 2wd while I take out my front diff to get it rebuilt. WRONG!!! GM must have some kind of differential in the transfer case or a torque spliter. either way you cant drive the truck without the front drive line in. Oh well, live and learn now I have to make time to lay up the truck so I can get my diff rebuilt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I pulled the front diff out last Sunday and it wasn't a bad job at all. My oldest son did most of the work and I had to drop it down because I don't think he could have. I rented a car Sunday afternoon (Kia Optima) so I could have some wheels while my diff was being rebuilt. I was very surprised with the Kia, it was a nice car. they are coming out with a 2rd version for 2013 and I might have to think about one for a DD. anyway, I put the diff back in and all is quiet again. the bill for the rebuild was $432. all it needed was a bearing kit. Six States did the rebuild for me. Don said when he drained the oil it came out in chunks. the bearings must have just let go and I stopped driving it just in time. The ring and pinion were in great shape. So I hope this will be the last time I need to do this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...