Sign in to follow this  
livingez_123

Spring maintenance

Well I was feeling good today so I went out and drained my front and rear diffs and the transfer case. Filled everything back up with Amsoil.

the only problem I had was when I drained the front diff and the magnet was covered in metal and the fluid looked like it was full of metallic flakes. I guess I found where my noise was coming from. And just my luck, the Denali use's a different case than the pick ups and non AWD Yukon's and Tahoe's. I will run it like it is until I have cash to fix it or just remove the front drive line and axles and put some stub CV's in there to hold the hub together.

Josh (Blownaway) has a Denali and his front diff went out too. He dropped the entire thing and took it to a shop to get rebuilt. He said it's very common for them to go bad on that vehicle.

It's AWD all the time so yes the front diff does take a beating. now if I would convert it to part time like the Yukons and pickups I could run it in 2wd most of the time and save the front diff. Or I can make it 2wd and not worry having a 4x4. It's nice that I have options so it wont leave me stranded.

I thought I could remove my front drive line and just drive around in 2wd while I take out my front diff to get it rebuilt. WRONG!!! GM must have some kind of differential in the transfer case or a torque spliter. either way you cant drive the truck without the front drive line in. Oh well, live and learn now I have to make time to lay up the truck so I can get my diff rebuilt.

Good Luck sorting it out. and I glad your feeling a little better.

I pulled the front diff out last Sunday and it wasn't a bad job at all. My oldest son did most of the work and I had to drop it down because I don't think he could have. I rented a car Sunday afternoon (Kia Optima) so I could have some wheels while my diff was being rebuilt. I was very surprised with the Kia, it was a nice car. they are coming out with a 2rd version for 2013 and I might have to think about one for a DD. anyway, I put the diff back in and all is quiet again. the bill for the rebuild was $432. all it needed was a bearing kit. Six States did the rebuild for me. Don said when he drained the oil it came out in chunks. the bearings must have just let go and I stopped driving it just in time. The ring and pinion were in great shape. So I hope this will be the last time I need to do this.

you do realize your replying to a 2 + year old thread Eh

who did the rebuild, i think my rear end due soon.