00' Quad Cab

82 6.2 glow plug light blinking

My uncle recently bought a 1982 GMC with the 6.2L. He started it up the other day and noticed that even after it warmed up the glow plug light was flashing.

I haven't had a chance to look at it and have never worked on a 6.2 or 6.5 for that matter.

Any suggestions on where to start or things to look for would be appreciated.

If it has one, check the glow plug relay with a multimeter to make sure power is getting through it when you turn the key on. I haven't looked at one either, but a guy at work has one. I will check with him on Monday.

They are supposed to do that. As the motor warms up the duty cycle get less and less. If it's not blinking the glow plug controller, located on the drivers head or intake manifold could be bad.

They are supposed to do that. As the motor warms up the duty cycle get less and less. If it's not blinking the glow plug controller, located on the drivers head or intake manifold could be bad.

Checked with my buddy and he said the exact same thing.

Thanks Russ!

I guess he hasn't paid much attention to it, hasn't had it that long.

He just thought it was strange after being plugged in, full warmed up after a long drive that it was blinking.

Thank you very much for the responses.

I guess he hasn't paid much attention to it, hasn't had it that long.

He just thought it was strange after being plugged in, full warmed up after a long drive that it was blinking.

Thank you very much for the responses.

That's kinda strange. I had a Jimmy a few years back that was doing similar things. Along with not staying on long enough when it was cold out and needed.

I did some research on them and found that the gp controllers are somewhat failure prone. I put in a continuous duty solenoid and a momentary switch to turn them on manually.

That's kinda strange. I had a Jimmy a few years back that was doing similar things. Along with not staying on long enough when it was cold out and needed.

I did some research on them and found that the gp controllers are somewhat failure prone. I put in a continuous duty solenoid and a momentary switch to turn them on manually.

Yes, if they stick on, it'll blow every one of the eight $8 buck glow plugs out. If it doesnt come on at all, the engine is a bear to start. You really dont need to add a relay, the relays that control them look like Ford starter solenoids - Just a momentary switch to the solenoid coil should do, hold the switch down for ten seconds then crank it up!