Sign in to follow this  
HOSS

05 LLY dead!!!!! Need some advise please!

I have a friend with a 05 LLY who told me and I quote " The truck has had erratic cooling for some time and I know it has EGR issues but I havent got around to fixing it"

He was driving home a few weeks ago and the truck overheated and he pulled over. The truck died and he could not restart it. He towed it to my place and asked me if I would be willing to look at it. I said yes but I know nothing about the Duramax engine.

The truck sat here for a while and by the time I got into the shop the batteries were dead. I put new batteries in it and tried to read codes but I cannot get power from the OBD2 port. I tried my INNOVA 3140 reader and it will power up when plugged in.I had a friend bring over his brand new Snap On Diagnostic tool and it will not work either. Apparently there is a power supply problem from the ECM or PCM? Forgive me if I am using the wrong terms. I know both readers are good and work on other Duramax trucks.

The engine turns over but does not attempt to fire. It feels and sounds like there is little or no compression. Very small puffs of white smoke out the exhaust. The oil is full and good and the overflow tank for the coolant is empty. The truck has a EDGE with Attitude type box on it with gauges on the display. I have not checked the fuel system pressure yet since I wanted to see what codes are stored first. I am not sure how to proceed since I cannot get a code reader to work? Any ideas????

Edited by HOSS

Sam

I checked all the fuses looking for blown ones and came up empty. All power works windows, doors, lights, starter ect...

I am still trying to find out which relays and or fuses effect the OBD2

Dave

One of the first things we did was unhook the Edge box. Thinking the same way. I just forgot to post that.

Thanks for the input. For some reason the multi quote wont work for me???????????

IOD fuse of any sort?

Wonder if the EGR system is cracked similar to the 6.0 powerstrokes. Shouldnt keep it from starting but if it got bad enough or developed into a head gasket issue it may. Could be way off base.

Edited by Compcowboy

Had one come into a friends shop (towed) when you crank it over the turbo was spinning backwards. ran him through some trouble shooting and found the cam had broke. It was just sitting and running for about 45 min when it suddenly died. it was an lly engine ???

The cigarette lighter fuse is the one that powers the OBD plug. Find out what the codes are and go from there. Leave the edge off. The egr valve could be leaking coolant into the exhaust.