Sign in to follow this  
Ba-Riedo

Puffing some smoke

We've noticed our two tow rigs at work have been smoking a little here and there, mostly noticeable at idle when you step out and walk around the rigs. Both of them are early Dmax's, 2001 and 2002 I believe. One is bone stock with almost 200k on it and the other is modded with injectors, a diablo predator, intake, exhaust and gauges. The stock one was giving a fuel pressure regulator code so we cleared the codes out and ran some injector cleaner through it and we're hoping it will clean it up a little. I think my boss just ran some diesel fuel cleaner through the modded rig and hopefully that will clean that one up too.

But I am wondering if this is a common thing with the duramax motor, my cummins doesn't smoke at all and I have injectors and an exhaust on it. The mechanic next to us said that he had heard of the duramax fuel pressure regulator reading bad but being fixed by some injector cleaner, is that something that really works?

-Alex

I would say if you got 200K on a set of Duramax injectors, "Congrat's". That's really good service for them. I would say between 100K and 150K is the average.

The white modded truck is smoking, it had injectors a few years back done at DDP, actually just over 2 years now, it puffs whiteish smoke at idle. What are the thoughts about this possibly being a head gasket issue?<div><br></div><div>-Alex

</div>

Edited by Ba-Riedo

Head gasket is possible, either item can give you a white smoke issue. You can do a compression check for the heads or send the injectors in to be tested.