Sign in to follow this  
4angels

04-05 6 liter

Guy here at work bought a truck and is looking for a shop that he can trust to give the engine a lookover. Its a 6 liter and he has lost 2-3mpg in the last 3 weeks but it seems to run fine.

Thanks for any leads to a shop. He is not a mechanic so ideas for him to do himself are great but wont help much. <_>

maybe a change of driving habits in that time period. That or time to change some filters, good luck on finding a shop in the area I have no clue on that.

EGR is starting to get gunked up, or the VGT is coked up with soot from the EGR, and is stuck in a position or has limited travel.

Get and EGR delete kit from dkdiesel.com

EGR is starting to get gunked up, or the VGT is coked up with soot from the EGR, and is stuck in a position or has limited travel.

Get and EGR delete kit from dkdiesel.com

Yup those are common failures but injectors can be an issue as well. Not aware of any shops I trust in the Portland area. He could take a day trip to the country to the north and see Dave/stroketeck. Maybe try Scott at RPM he is a bit closer but I think for this Dave would be the best choice. Most of the dealers and other shops start swapping parts out until they fix it. Of course if he has $$$ and wants to fix the mileage and get around 425 Hp at the rear wheels.....Dave can fix that for a few thousand $$$$$ Head studs, EGR delete, exhaust, gauges, SCT, water meth inject, and maybe a few other goodies. he might be able to push close to 500 Hp :burnout:

Edited by rubystargoats

Yup those are common failures but injectors can be an issue as well. Not aware of any shops I trust in the Portland area. He could take a day trip to the country to the north and see Dave/stroketeck. Maybe try Scott at RPM he is a bit closer but I think for this Dave would be the best choice. Most of the dealers and other shops start swapping parts out until they fix it. Of course if he has $$$ and wants to fix the mileage and get around 425 Hp at the rear wheels.....Dave can fix that for a few thousand $$$$$ Head studs, EGR delete, exhaust, gauges, SCT, water meth inject, and maybe a few other goodies. he might be able to push close to 500 Hp :burnout:

Dave no longer turns wrenches himself at the shop.

And for the second, well he said reputable as in someone who can diagnose and fix problems not just replace them.

Oh and a gunky turbo is pretty easy to diagnose as well, one if he has a boost gauge, two it will surge when asked to perform under load.

Injector will give you a miss if it's bad, two bad injectors will make you think your truck is gonna vibrate off the road, and three bad injectors your truck won't run.

EGR valve, hmmm whats that my truck don't have one :unsure:

no gages, no chip, all stock runs good. just loosing mpg suddenly. Thanks for all the input. Stangpower71 PM'd me a guy to call so I passed it along to the guy. Once it is figured out it will be time to push him over the slope!