Sign in to follow this  
rollincoal

03 gmc sierra 3500

ok ive got some questions and hoping somebody can give me some answers. today i drove my grandpas truck back to my house to try and sell it its an 03 gmc sierra 3500 it has a banks brake, banks big head wastegate, and banks exhaust i believe anyways on my drive home we stopped in nisqually for lunch then when i left the gauges werent working. i called my grandpa and apparently its happened before and then after its been off for a while and you start it again they work? also what im not sure of was that sometimes i couldnt get the turbo to build any boost? the exhaust brake wasnt on but it would not build boost, boost gauge just sat at 0 and egts started going up. so anybody else have this happen to them or know about it i dont know anything about these trucks. i dont know if they have variable geometry turbos maybe the vanes are sticking or maybe the exhaust brake just didnt disengage but i cant figure it out and also the radiator surge tank was empty when i stopped in everett to look at it. i refilled it and ill check again in the morning. so any help is appreciated thanks alot

AJ

drove the truck again tonight and everything is working how it should i have no idea what its problem is, must not like me

Gauges not working? Are you talking about the dash? Speedo, fuel temp. All of those not working?

Those don't have VGT turbo's on them. You stated it has a Banks big head wastegate. VGT's don't have wastegates. I'd look for a leak in the blue tube that comes with the kit. Might be a pinhole in it. Did it build boost before? The system is mechanical so look for leaks first.

Has the "low coolant" light came on?

Have the injectors been replaced? How many miles on the truck? Any white smoke?

yes the dash wasnt working, no speedo,tach,fuel sensor,oil pressure. and yes it built boost fine and then it was like it just dissappeared. ill take a look at the tubes and see if i can find anything. yes the low coolant message came on once then went away. yes the injectors were replaced at 100,000 miles it is currently at 124,000 miles. and no i havent seen any white smoke

the wierd thing with the boost was that there was boost then there wasnt and then there was boost again so i dont know if thats caused by a leak

Fire up the air compressor and dial it in to about 30lbs. Remove the vacuum hose and blow the air in it. See if the diaghram moves at all.

Just a thought But could this be caused by a bad map sensor or throttle position sensor. Just curious because it. Seems like if the Turbo isn't lighting the tyranny doesn't seem to want to kick down?

You would have codes and CEL if that was the case.