37 replies to this topic

#21 C Paul Go

C Paul Go

How many colors is that?

• Moderators
  • 14,470 posts
  • Interests:Too Many to list...

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

DT pro fab?? They don't make em... you're thinking DSS...

DT does make them. I have the DSS. If I had it to do over again I would have the DT. Take a look on DDP site.

#22 Fishin2Deep4U

Fishin2Deep4U

The PUPPET MASTER

• Vendors
  • 7,870 posts
  • Interests:You mean there's anything other than hunting an fishing? Surely you jest!

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

No offense taken here. looks good to me! And since I don't make 'em, no skin off my nose. :D

I dunno how much the DT unit sells for, but I feel I got a pretty good deal on this one.

Dave

#23 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

no offense meant ... but this isn't rocket science , introducing a "new" product and showing install of it like it's a brand new exciting item when in reality it's a copy of an item copied by many for a long time and been sold by several mfg's for a long time ... seams like the wisdom of the whole introduction is a lil off ... just one mans opinion

#24 Lucky Jeff

Lucky Jeff
  • Contributor
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

DSS didn't have it in em to patent the thing, so it's their own fault. Everyone else has copied it since. And I don't see how such a simple piece can be better then the others. So buy it from the guy/company you want to support B)

#25 Fishin2Deep4U

Fishin2Deep4U

The PUPPET MASTER

• Vendors
  • 7,870 posts
  • Interests:You mean there's anything other than hunting an fishing? Surely you jest!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

You guys crack me up.

I don't care what ya buy, just wanted to show you what I chose to do. I am not saying that these things are all original. For some of us that have been into offroading, they may remember seeing a few sterring box braces for Scouts that looked real familiar. But that was 20 years ago....

But hey, who notices stuff like that??

Dave

#26 GTroyer

GTroyer

• Contributor
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Dave .. my point wasn't a patient type issue thing or copy thing .... I was just saying why would a company intro an item so many made and has been on the market for so long ... what sales would a company expect at this late date / so long on the market item , so my thought was the wisdom of the intro/even making it when the sales volume would be very limited ... I was not flaming your co or you just questioning the marketing of this "new" to the inventory line item.

#27 Fishin2Deep4U

Fishin2Deep4U

The PUPPET MASTER

• Vendors
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Dave .. my point wasn't a patient type issue thing or copy thing .... I was just saying why would a company intro an item so many made and has been on the market for so long ... what sales would a company expect at this late date / so long on the market item , so my thought was the wisdom of the intro/even making it when the sales volume would be very limited ... I was not flaming your co or you just questioning the marketing of this "new" to the inventory line item.

I have no idea Gary.

I don't have any company to speak of, so it's not my gig. This is just one from a vendor I chose to buy it from.

If I had the time, i would have built it myself. But it's tough to do that when working close to 60 hours a week at the machine shop.

but, it did help my truck steering. Now I ahve to fix that track bar with another adapter!

Dave

#28 00' Quad Cab

00' Quad Cab

Out with the old in with the fairly new

• Members
  • 1,165 posts
  • Interests:Into fishing, Hunting, Spinnin' wrenches.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Nice write up and pictures Dave, I am looking for a product like this.

If I might say the only thing I would have done differently is not loctited those set screws, I work with them on a daily basis and I only use antisieze on them now after a lot of fighting (and cutting some bearings).

#29 Fishin2Deep4U

Fishin2Deep4U

The PUPPET MASTER

• Vendors
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

Nice write up and pictures Dave, I am looking for a product like this.

If I might say the only thing I would have done differently is not loctited those set screws, I work with them on a daily basis and I only use antisieze on them now after a lot of fighting (and cutting some bearings).

I appreciate the comment on the set screws. I know I am taking a chance, but hopefully the locking agent will help protect the threads and only a small amount of heat will be required to dislodge them. If not, well, I have a machine shop to go to work at every day...

Dave

Edited by Fishin2Deep4U, 07 July 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#30 skyking

skyking
  • Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Here's my question:
My shaft is sloppy as can be, but no leakage. Do you think if I just get the brace kit I can get by without replacing the steering box and shaft?

#31 GTroyer

GTroyer

• Contributor
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

the brace will "help" but not cure the problem , wore out is wore out no matter what ya do it's still wore out :right:

#32 Bob Wagner

Bob Wagner
  • Vendors
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

gary you sound like god.... LOL

#33 GTroyer

GTroyer

• Contributor
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

I relate it to my knees :right: :right: :right:

#34 Fishin2Deep4U

Fishin2Deep4U

The PUPPET MASTER

• Vendors
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

Here's my question:
My shaft is sloppy as can be, but no leakage. Do you think if I just get the brace kit I can get by without replacing the steering box and shaft?

I agree with Gary. Many people have even gotten death wobble AFTER installing a brace on a bad steering box. However, it may still be a worthwhile step. Especially if a new box is going on.

Dave

Edited by Fishin2Deep4U, 08 July 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#35 00' Quad Cab

00' Quad Cab

Out with the old in with the fairly new

• Members
  • 1,165 posts
  • Interests:Into fishing, Hunting, Spinnin' wrenches.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

I appreciate the comment on the set screws. I know I am taking a chance, but hopefully the locking agent will help protect the threads and only a small amount of heat will be required to dislodge them. If not, well, I have a machine shop to go to work at every day...

Dave

I didn't mean to insult you Dave..............I hope you didn't take it that way.

I know I want to kick someones butt when I find them loctited at work....... :hit:

Edited by 00' Quad Cab, 09 July 2010 - 09:25 PM.

#36 Fishin2Deep4U

Fishin2Deep4U

The PUPPET MASTER

• Vendors
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

LOL No insult taken! You'll have to try much harder than that!

If I get real desperate with bad set screws, I am sure the scarfing gun can make short work of any "issues" that may still be present. :right:

Dave

#37 Russ

Russ

Got Wood?

• Administrators
  • 10,994 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors. Hunting/Fishing/boating/you get the idea.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

LOL No insult taken! You'll have to try much harder than that!

Your momma dresses you funny and you fish like a girl??? :right:

:P

#38 Fishin2Deep4U

Fishin2Deep4U

The PUPPET MASTER

• Vendors
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

Your momma dresses you funny and you fish like a girl??? :right:

:P

Can't get insulted by the truth!!

LOL

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users