Is the Neutral Start Backup switch (NSBU) - the same thing as the Park Neutral Position switch (PNP) - the same thing as the "Transmission Gear Selection Switch" that is listed under the Emissions Warranty?

Allison part No. 29540479?

My friend's truck is at the dealership. They want $187.00 parts and 2 hours labor to replace what they are referring to as the NSBU switch. From some of what I find on the Duramax sites, this part should be less than $100 (if purchased elsewhere), easily take less than an hour to install and according to some of the information I've found is covered under the emissions warranty ( :blink: )....

Problem started as it not going into gear and shift indicator lights on the dash not showing and an error of "Shift Range Inhibited". Those problems went away and then a few days later it wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear.

Augusta

http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.ph...category_id=278

takes, about 20min. If you want I can walk you through it. (509)389-5200

Thanks for the offer & the link Jeff!

The dealership replaced it and gave her an invoice for $400 parts and labor. She pointed out that the "Transmission Gear Selection Switch (Diesel)" is listed as being covered by her 100k Emissions warranty. She went ahead and paid for it but asked that they check into it. The service department left her a message on her phone tonight that she was correct and that they would give her a refund. :dance: Very interesting because between the time that she paid and they called, she contacted GM who told her that her best bet was to contact Allison directly. :blink:

wow, talk about dealer rape!

167.00 CDN for the part. and 15 minutes later you are back on the road

http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.ph...category_id=278

takes, about 20min. If you want I can walk you through it. (509)389-5200

Thanks for the offer & the link Jeff!

The dealership replaced it and gave her an invoice for $400 parts and labor. She pointed out that the "Transmission Gear Selection Switch (Diesel)" is listed as being covered by her 100k Emissions warranty. She went ahead and paid for it but asked that they check into it. The service department left her a message on her phone tonight that she was correct and that they would give her a refund. :dance: Very interesting because between the time that she paid and they called, she contacted GM who told her that her best bet was to contact Allison directly. :blink:

I glad to see you got your money back. I hate to see it when the shops, not just the dealers, rip off women. I see my wife always being given a worst deal than they quote me.