BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
donyo

Braided Stainless Lines

Anyone have a good source for having quality braided stainless lines made. I would prefer somewhere here on the Kitsap Penninsula, but will settle for any reputable dealer in the South King or Pierce County areas.

TIA

Williams Oil Filter

Puyallup ave & Portland

Downtown Tacoma

or...

Just buy your parts from Summit Racing and learn how to make them up yourself. It's not rocket science. A few mistakes, and you'll be there...

Don..if your are not in a hurry ..take them [the parts] and have someone show ya how to do them..it's an easy to do deal Buddy

or don't you have a couple of our guys around you to help/show ya how ??

for what?

My upgraded 3/8" Aeroquip fuel line from the filter to the VP is showing signs of splitting at the fittings. I plan to replace this ASAP with more of the same, but am looking for a better solution.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Will investigate the DIY approach. I'm somewhat of a bold backyard mechanic, so will try most anything, ---------------------------------- at least once!! :o:D

Williams Oil Filter

Puyallup ave & Portland

Downtown Tacoma

I've had various lines made by Williams Oil Filter service. The only problems have been my measurements. I have a set of Braided SS on my Jeep for 4yrs of hard service with no problem.

I second the Summit Racing approach. They are easy to build if you have a vise hacksaw and some wrenches..

I have spent well over a grand and a half on my Ram with Aeroquip braided stainless steel AQP and TR hose and fittings through Summit Racing. I also have every tool Aeroquip makes which facilitates the construction of these hoses. I even invested in a set of Koul Tools. These are in effect, funnels which aid in guiding the end of the AQP hose (somewhat frayed even using tape while cutting the hose to length), into the end of the fitting collar.

My only shortfall (and it's rather temporary), is my vise is a little small for construction of some of the hoses. That is primarily why I have been assembling some of these at work in my spare time.

But, as soon as I get my new Wilton vise that will be rectified! :D

Don, would you like some help?

Heck, I might even have some of what you are looking for.

One tip which makes modern hose/fitting construction much easier...

make sure to order the swivel fittings as opposed to the non-swivel variety. The swivel allows much easier contruction because you don't have to accurately orient the opposing elbow fittings like we used to in the old days.

If you are going to fabricate a hose from the output of the fuel filter to the input to the VP44 you will also need qty. 2 #FCM2116 (or #FBM2116...the only difference is packaging)...these are -06 A/N "Weber bowl fittings" (12 mm x 1.5 thread). Summit Racing switched over to using the plastic bagged FBM series two to three years ago. The FCM series are packed into reusable, pliable, clear plastic boxes.

-06 A/N = 3/8"

-08 A/N = 1/2"

Aeroquip aluminum AQP swivel fittings are available in the two sizes previously listed, in:

* straight (-06 A/N #FCM1012)

* 30 degree elbow (-06 A/N #FCM4072)

* 45 degree elbow (-06 A/N #FCM4022)

* 60 degree elbow (-06 A/N #FCM4082)

* 90 degree elbow (-06 A/N #FCM4032)

* 120 degree elbow (-06 A/N #FCM4042)

* 150 degree elbow (-06 A/N #FCM4052), and

*180 degree elbow (-06 A/N #FCM4062)

Aeroquip AQP hose (AQP elastomer core with a partial stainless steel wire inner braid and a braided stainless steel cover):

-06 A/N:

Hose I.D. = .34"

Hose O.D. = .55"

Bulk ordering incremental lengths/part numbers:

3 feet: (#FCA0603)

6 feet: (#FCA0606)

10 feet: (#FCA0610)

15 feet: (#FCA0615)

20 feet: (#FCA0620)

If you need any help let me know. :D

Thanks John for your response with part # and everything.

My current system already has the webber fittings. I now have the aeroquip socketless -6 hose and fittings and am just looking to upgrade this system to stainless. I did makeup and install a new line yesterday between the VP and the filter. It was showing the most distress (splitting) of the hose at the fittings. Only the outer cover was splitting, but I don't want to take any chance it will go deeper into the actual supply line.

Eventually as time and funds allow, I want to change out the entire system. Your offer of help is noted and stored in memory for future consideration.

Thanks again for your help.

for what?

My upgraded 3/8" Aeroquip fuel line from the filter to the VP is showing signs of splitting at the fittings. I plan to replace this ASAP with more of the same, but am looking for a better solution.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Will investigate the DIY approach. I'm somewhat of a bold backyard mechanic, so will try most anything, ---------------------------------- at least once!! :o:D

I had a line fail yesterday.

-6 an fitting that feeds my BHT3B just spit all over the block.

I think I am going to go with all steel fittings instead of the aluminum...

The steel fittings are used with the Aeroquip TRH (Teflon Racing Hose). The TRH hose is quite a bit more expensive than the AQP hose. Both have a braided stainless steel outer shield with the AQP having an elastomer core with a partial stainless steel over braid whereas, the TRH has just a Teflon core. The pressure ratings of the TRH are higher than for the AQP. Also noteworthy is that TRH hose doesn't have nearly as tight of bend radius allowance as AQP hose.

In my opinion (and I have made braided stainless steel hose for over three decades), if you are having fitting failure due to cracking there is one of three things at work here:

1) Either you tightened the fitting too tight (most common failure and the installer's fault),

2) You routed the hose incorrectly or in such a way it didn't have proper strain relief (also the installer's fault and possibly the fabricator's fault as well), or,

3) You used a non-swivel elbow fitting and the crack started at the brazed joint (even if you do everything right this can still happen...that's why swivel elbow fittings are superior).

Actually, mine was not a fitting failure so much as a hose failure. Although in the attached photo, it appears the fitting collor is failed, the thing that came to my attention was the splitting. This is the worst one, however all other connections are starting to show this same kind of failure, just not to this extent yet. I'm sure it is most likely due to installer error as this was my first experience with this type of hose and fitting.

fuel_line.jpg

Don, I was referring to braided stainless steel hose and aluminum A/N fittings (reference Justin's post).

In your case, this type of hose seems to split quite easy. Although most cracks are pretty much superficial some can be a little deeper. The one you posted is by far the worst case I've seen.

BD Engine Brake (when they were still named this), used to supply this type of Aeroquip hose with their exhaust brakes...mine came with this hose. After seeing the splitting, I ordered replacement hose from BD (directly from Brian Roth!). If it happens again I will go to braided s/s AQP hose where possible.

Excuse me for the sidebar here but this is the type of information that should be posted to a "procedure" heading, general in category as I don't have enough knowledge to know how specific the application is, but I do recognize gold when I see it. Perhaps some skillful editing of the information here and we've got a topic that deserves a place here. Too often I see nuggets of information get passed along or around and once used for the specific request or application, they pass off into some dusty memory corner. John has just passed along a virtual complete list of what's needed and hints as to assembly, with others chiming in as to this is practically a DIY item. My mechanical skills may not be up to where I'm safe to be allowed to change my own oil (tongue in cheek remark, as thanks to you all, I can even change my fuel filter as well). Part of our mission statement should be re-emphasised and as was initially told to me by Rob, is education. There is a wealth of general knowledge shared amongst members and associates of this site that should have a place to be stored. With that thought in mind, perhaps the site moderators could dedicate a "procedure column, general in nature" and if I may be so bold as to suggest that it be dedicated to the one individual who spent all of his time making this site the flagship amongst Diesel Truck sites. I, of course, speak of Rob Hanson.

~Dave

Edited by NWDave

Excuse me for the sidebar here but this is the type of information that should be posted to a "procedure" heading, general in category as I don't have enough knowledge to know how specific the application is, but I do recognize gold when I see it. Perhaps some skillful editing of the information here and we've got a topic that deserves a place here. Too often I see nuggets of information get passed along or around and once used for the specific request or application, they pass off into some dusty memory corner. John has just passed along a virtual complete list of what's needed and hints as to assembly, with others chiming in as to this is practically a DIY item. My mechanical skills may not be up to where I'm safe to be allowed to change my own oil (tongue in cheek remark, as thanks to you all, I can even change my fuel filter as well). Part of our mission statement should be re-emphasised and as was initially told to me by Rob, is education. There is a wealth of general knowledge shared amongst members and associates of this site that should have a place to be stored. With that thought in mind, perhaps the site moderators could dedicate a "procedure column, general in nature" and if I may be so bold as to suggest that it be dedicated to the one individual who spent all of his time making this site the flagship amongst Diesel Truck sites. I, of course, speak of Rob Hanson.

~Dave

Good Post, Quote from Rob "Education" is that the truth for all of us. RIP

Very well put Dave!

I think that is a great idea!!

I have thought this same thing on other topics where someone posted some fantastic info in reply to something that I knew I would have to find sometime in the future. Im sure those that are in the know hate replying to the same questions time after time. If there were a way to link this info to a question for help in a post it would be a good starting point for someone to ask what else might be specific to that perticular need for help.

Guy

Good Idea Dave. When I find these gems, and I think I may need them later, I usually just print them out and store them in my CTD file.

Dave, Joe, Guy and Don,

That was merely a partial list of things for just the Aeroquip AQP -06 A/N fittings and hose. I have part numbers and such for virtually everything Aeroquip makes in both performance and commercial applications. However, I will be the first to admit I don't know my way around a lot of the commercial stuff all that well.

What I have done for years on the TDR, where I wanted to save the thread...

long ago I used to print them out. In the last several years I have just Emailed the thread to myself (from work or home), and have saved them that way. Sometimes I save them permanently other times I delete them after extracting the needed information.

I never really thought about preparing something to place in the Procedures forum. I guess mainly because I didn't want it to seem like I might be preaching. To a lesser extent, I didn't want to field the pot shots from some that would tell me I was doing it wrong. I guess it's just easier to keep on keep'n on doin' what I do my own way, all in due time.

I do remember waaaay back when Rob ordered a set of Aeroquip -06 A/N hoses from a TDR member. This set replaced everything ahead of the hard line mounted to the frame, forward to the VP44. Pretty much the same thing some of us early BOMBers purchased from Vaughn some months to a year later.

Anyway, I was sitting with Rob out in his living room shooting the breeze when UPS pulled up. The parcel just happened to be the Aeroquip hose set Rob had ordered. BTW, I said Hi! to the UPS guy because he's my UPS guy as well...small world! After I looked them over I told Rob he should have purchased the stuff and I could have made them for him or helped him make his own. Not only would he have saved money but (and more importantly), the quality of the end product would have been much higher! Why? Simply, the aluminum fittings were assembled by someone who either didn't have the right tools for the job or they simply lacked the ability to perform quality work.

BTW, and I know this doesn't mean much to anyone here but...

recently, the Cenex propane driver that used to service our household as well as the Hanson's, Craig was his name, and one he!!uva great guy!, suddenly passed away. In addition to Rob, I also lost another friend (Terry), who was also a neighbor and work buddy. Terry lost his battle with cancer last year. He, like Rob, and Craig, were all absolutely fantastic guys! The best! All of them died well before their time (IMO), and it hurts like he!! to see this many good men go down. :(

soooo John ya mean no plastic jaws/aluminum on the vice or AN wrenches and the fittings were AFU that's a beach all the $ on cool fittings and mare them all up on making the lines and install

most also over torque the fittings as well

bad news on all the friends passing

Edited by willyslover

When a family member is hurting over the loss of friends and co-workers, we all hurt. And yes, I do consider all of you family!! Very sorry for you losses John.

Excuse me for the sidebar here but this is the type of information that should be posted to a "procedure" heading

Good Plan!

and Done Deal...

The only piece of Aeroquip I have on my truck is from the fuel filter to the VP - all the rest, from the tank to the pump, pump to the regualtor, and regulator to the filter is Parker Jiffy Hose - 8an from tank to pump and 6an elswehere.

I got the Aeroquip stuff from Williams Oil Filter Service and the Parker stuff from American Hose in Kent.

Sorry - I just noticed that no one can post in the root procedure forum - it's all fixed now.

The steel fittings are used with the Aeroquip TRH (Teflon Racing Hose). The TRH hose is quite a bit more expensive than the AQP hose. Both have a braided stainless steel outer shield with the AQP having an elastomer core with a partial stainless steel over braid whereas, the TRH has just a Teflon core. The pressure ratings of the TRH are higher than for the AQP. Also noteworthy is that TRH hose doesn't have nearly as tight of bend radius allowance as AQP hose.

In my opinion (and I have made braided stainless steel hose for over three decades), if you are having fitting failure due to cracking there is one of three things at work here:

1) Either you tightened the fitting too tight (most common failure and the installer's fault),

2) You routed the hose incorrectly or in such a way it didn't have proper strain relief (also the installer's fault and possibly the fabricator's fault as well), or,

3) You used a non-swivel elbow fitting and the crack started at the brazed joint (even if you do everything right this can still happen...that's why swivel elbow fittings are superior).

Just got back from EVCO...

$20 and some change. Teflon hose, 2500 psi working load 10,000 burst pressure.

My stuff from Summit was more then that.

It failed before the coupler that attaches it to the hose. I think I got a bad fitting from the get go.