Transmission Service - NV5600

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

This is a simple, step-by-step procedure on how to change the fluid in your NV5600 transmission. While Chrysler recommends that the fluid never be changed in this particular transmission, I'm of the opinion that any fluid will either wear out or become too full of debris over time.

One of the first steps is to determine the type of transmission fluid that you are going to use. I will not recommend one fluid over another (that is, of course, until a company PAYS me to recommend their fluids..) The most important thing to remember when picking your fluid is to use the APPROPRIATE fluid for the application. The warning on the transmission is VERY specific: Severe damage WILL result, and warranty will be Null and Void if improper fluid is used.

Here are the tools that you will need:
1: 5qts of preferred fluid (5/30 synchromesh)
2: 17mm Allen head
3: 14mm wrench/socket
4: Fluid transfer pump or funnel
5: Catch can that can hold 5qts used fluid
6: Paper Towels

Attached Files

Edited by md_lucky_13, 10 September 2006 - 12:48 PM.

#2 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

Once you crawl under the truck, you need to find the check/fill plug on the side of the transmission. This is where you will use the 17mm allen head.

ALWAYS REMOVE THIS CHECK/FILL PLUG FIRST. If you decide to drain all of the fluid out of your transmission only to find that the plug is too tight or rounded, then you have almost no way to get fluid back into the transmission...

As you can tell by the pictures, I make a habit of checking the fluids regularly.. I also, apparently, make a habit of not tightening the check plug enough to prevent fluid seepage..

This is what the plug will look like under the transmission:

Attached Files

#3 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

As you remove the plug, you should have fluid come out. Be prepared to catch the fluid under the skid plate.

Here is another angle of where the check/fill is located, after the plug has already been removed.

Attached Files

#4 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

Next, you will remove the bottom bolt on the PTO cover. Most manual transmission have a drain plug built into them to allow service. However, since Chrysler does not recommend changing the transmission fluid, there is no drain plug built into the case of the transmission.

Here is the PTO cover:

Attached Files

#5 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

The lowest bolt will act just like a drain for the transmission. Be prepared to catch fluid once you remove it.

If you have never had these bolts out of the transmission before, there is a very good chance they will be extremely tight and difficult to remove. To further hamper this feat, you’re laying flat on your back under a truck with next to no leverage.

An easy way to break the bolt loose if you do not have a longer ratchet is to place the closed end of a box wrench over the handle of the ratchet. This should provide enough leverage to pop the bolt loose. Be careful not to bust any knuckles while breaking the bolt loose.

Attached Files

#6 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:04 PM

After you remove the lowest bolt fluid will start pouring out. Have the catch can ready.

This will take some time to drain entirely. I would recommend stepping back from the job and relaxing a little while as the transmission drains. Go grab an ice cold beverage and watch some Sunday football.

Attached Files

#7 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

If you chose Amsoil fluid, it is now time to curse them for a few moments as you realize your handy-dandy fluid pump will not work on their bottles.

I found that by simply keeping the bottom of the straw in fluid I was able to pump fluid without too much difficulty. However, it would have made my life a lot easier if I could have attached the pump properly.

Place the end of the long straw into the check/fill plug. Even though this fluid is very expensive, its not a bad idea to run a small flush through the transmission. I hit the inside of the transmission with about 10 squirts of fluid, and then let all that brand new fluid flow back out the drain and into the pan.

This is where some discrepancy may occur. Many people may suggest removing the entire PTO cover. However, It's my personal belief that if you are not having any problems with the transmission it is not worth it to break the nice factory seal and pop the PTO cover off. This is preventative maintenance-don't create a new problem when you didn't have on in the first place.

Attached Files

Edited by md_lucky_13, 10 September 2006 - 01:59 PM.

#8 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:10 PM

The fluid pump leading up to the check/fill plug.

Attached Files

#9 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

Here is where you put the hose into the check/fill plug.

Attached Files

#10 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:16 PM

After you have pumped a few squirts into the transmission, go ahead and replace the bottom PTO bolt. Once again, I let the few squirts drip out for a few moments before plugging the transmission back up.

Replace the PTO bolt, and start filling! While it sounds easy enough, this is often the most difficult part of the job. It can get a little bit interesting trying to keep the hose in the oil as you pump and make sure the other end stays in the transmission. I kept the catch can in place as I did end up spilling a little bit of fluid as I re-filled the transmission.

Keep filling the transmission until you see fluid start to come out of the check/fill.

If you want to over-fill the transmission (this is recommended by some members due to rear bearing problems) then there is an easier way to do it then simply trying to pump faster then fluid poors out the transmission.. Back the truck up on an hill (or use those handy dandy ramps) so most of the fluid will move forward. This makes it very easy to overfill the transmission.

If you are not going to overfill the transmission, give it a few extra squirts and then slap the check/fill plug back into place. You should have a small stream coming out of the check/fill as you put it back into place.

It took me almost exactly 4.5 quarts of fluid to fill the transmission.

#11 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:20 PM

So much for life-time fluid!!

Even in the CAMERA you can see the small flakes of metal in the used transmission fluid.

While there are no recommendations on how long to run the fluid, I generally change all the gearbox fluids every year (I average about 30k miles per year, however). I would say a "safe" recommendation could be stretched to 50k miles, but consult your particular fluid manufacturer for their recommendations.

Its as simple as that! The total cost was somewhere around $50, so this is a simple and easy preventative maintenance item nearly anyone can tackle in their own back yard.

Attached Files

#12 jcasper

jcasper

I want to go FAST!!!!

• Members
  • 7,919 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Cars, Family

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(md_lucky_13 @ Sep 10 2006, 12:08 PM) View Post

If you chose Amsoil fluid, it is now time to curse them for a few moments as you realize your handy-dandy fluid pump will not work on their bottles.

But maybe amsoil was smart as they sell a pump that works with their bottles. Very nice instructions, that is exactly how I do it.

#13 IDhorsehauler

IDhorsehauler
  • Contributor
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:27 AM

Is it just me or did Mike's pictures disappear from this post?

#14 tankeryanker

tankeryanker
  • Contributor
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:camping, hiking, anything that involves the great outdoors

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

No I can't see the pics either. Just a red X in a black box.

#15 Ol Blue

Ol Blue

--Got-R-Did! --

• Members
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

Mike, this post is useless without pics! biggrin.gif

#16 tankeryanker

tankeryanker
  • Contributor
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:camping, hiking, anything that involves the great outdoors

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

well it is an old post from 2006 maybe the pics expired.

#17 md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13
  • Contributor
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

Well thats a bummer!!

I'll see if I can find the old pictures... I think I lost them for a few others, too. sad.gif

#18 Ol Blue

Ol Blue

--Got-R-Did! --

• Members
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (md_lucky_13 @ Dec 20 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well thats a bummer!!

I'll see if I can find the old pictures... I think I lost them for a few others, too. sad.gif

popcorn.gif

#19 Ol Blue

Ol Blue

--Got-R-Did! --

• Members
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (md_lucky_13 @ Dec 20 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well thats a bummer!!

popcorn.gif popcorn.gif

#20 dminer

dminer

dminer

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

You're so cruel......

popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users