Sign in to follow this  
Mad Bomber

need help with a old one

My dad have a old GM 83 with the 6.2L in his motorhome. He belives it's the injector pump. Blows blue smoke and lack of power. Any help would be appreciated. Evan do you work on this old type? TIA Eric

blue smoke and lack of power would be two indications of a worn out engine. Is it hard to start? Does it use oil? I'd do a compression test and leak down - I used to have the fitting for the glow plug hole, but It's been long gone.

Hey Eric, could be as simple as bad lift pump pressure or retarded timing. Might even be air int he fuel. If the fuel pressure is too low, it can hydraulically retard the timing enough to cause the same syptoms you are describing. Also, how many miles on the old beast? Ask if the timing chain has even been replaced. Might need a compression test to confirm the engine is good. Might have worn out injectors too, fortunately they are cheap to replace. The injection pump is more than likely in need of refreshment too. They run about 550-600 for a rebuilt unit. Hard starting? Stumble at idle? If compression ends up checking out ok, then its got potential to be a decent runner with a few new parts. Efficient too. Won't be a hotrod by any means, but it'll be better than a gasser!

Is this a van-cutaway or an true motorhome body on a GM 1-ton chassis?

If compression ends up checking out ok, then its got potential to be a decent runner with a few new parts. Efficient too.

Yep... Cheap to rebuild. Back in the day, I checked at H&H Diesel for a rebuilt injection pump and it was $370. Probably a little more than that now. How many miles are on the pump? They're good for about 150K although the one that I used to own and Vaughn still might have has well over 200K on the pump. FWIW, my lift pump was completely INOP and I never noticed it until I changed the fuel filters. US Engine in Auburn wanted $2K to rebuild it, had a cracked head that was welded up. Banks Turbo Kit woke it up a little bit. Check the compression first though. Also, there are timing marks that you line up on the pump housing and the gear case. Match the lines up and it should be good to go.

IPB Image

Hey Eric, could be as simple as bad lift pump pressure or retarded timing. Might even be air int he fuel. If the fuel pressure is too low, it can hydraulically retard the timing enough to cause the same syptoms you are describing. Also, how many miles on the old beast? Ask if the timing chain has even been replaced. Might need a compression test to confirm the engine is good. Might have worn out injectors too, fortunately they are cheap to replace. The injection pump is more than likely in need of refreshment too. They run about 550-600 for a rebuilt unit. Hard starting? Stumble at idle? If compression ends up checking out ok, then its got potential to be a decent runner with a few new parts. Efficient too. Won't be a hotrod by any means, but it'll be better than a gasser!

Thanx for input more info

The engine has about 20K injection pump about 50K.

Little hard to start.

No stumble at idle.

No hotrod VERY slow 0 to 60 6 miles LOL.

I found out that he's never changed the fuel filter.

Where is the L/P? is it electric or manual? I assume it's like the 12V. He also said it kinda comes and goes runs good then blue smoke and no power.

Thanx for all your help, going over this weekend to see what else we can do.

This is a 22' class A M/H

Edited by Mad Bomber

Little hard to start.

No stumble at idle.

Where is the L/P? is it electric or manual? I assume it's like the 12V. He also said it kinda comes and goes runs good then blue smoke and no power.

The lift pump is manual - its down low on the passenger side of the block on the front of the motor (Same side the starter is located on) - where small and big block chevies were located. It's easy to change and cheap too. It looks just like a gasser fuel pump.

CHANGE THAT FUEL FILTER!!! You might be a hero!

Little hard to start.

No stumble at idle.

CHANGE THAT FUEL FILTER!!! You might be a hero!

I was really suprised that it's never been changed :o

They're good for about 150K although the one that I used to own and Vaughn still might have has well over 200K on the pump. IPB Image

Still got it, and it's been getting driven quite a bit lately :)

IT'S ALIVE AGAIN :dance: The L/P had a crack in it so air was getting in, also the pin that goes off the cam shaft to drive the L/P was broken in half. We also found out that the ground off batterys was the wrong one. The one that he hooked for the starter was for the coach lights. that's why it would not turn fast enough to start it up. BTW if anyone wants to buy a CHEAP M/H let me know. It's a 22ft class A take into mind it's a 83 so it's pretty old.

IT'S ALIVE AGAIN :dance: The L/P had a crack in it so air was getting in, also the pin that goes off the cam shaft to drive the L/P was broken in half. We also found out that the ground off batterys was the wrong one. The one that he hooked for the starter was for the coach lights. that's why it would not turn fast enough to start it up. BTW if anyone wants to buy a CHEAP M/H let me know. It's a 22ft class A take into mind it's a 83 so it's pretty old.

$$???

Yeah, what he said. And pictures...

$$???

Must be common to happen the pin was 3.50. If you want a price for the M/H I'll find out.

Edited by Mad Bomber